NorCal Sprinter Campout 2018, October 18-21- Let's Go

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
Hello Everybody,
The third annual Northern California Sprinter Campout will be October 18-21 at Lake Concow Campground in beautiful Butte County, California. The lakeside campground is set the Sierra Nevada foothills off Highway 70 east of Lake Oroville. It is a informal, gathering of Sprinter, Transit, Promaster, Nissan, VW and domestic type rigs and enthusiasts camping together, sharing stories, knowledge, build ideas, food, music, a rally and more.

Inserted by request.

Thanks JB

Here are NCSC 2018 comprehensive information links:
From my website blog:
https://electriccanyon.com/norcal-sprinter-campout-2018/
This blog explains the concept, mission and event overview.

NorCal Sprinter Campout 2018 Guidebook
This document details the what to bring, how to get there, points of interest and more.

Please leave a question if I missed something.
As always, clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread. (This time it is post #41 of this same thread.)

This is a grass roots event with participants contrituting to make it a great time. There are no official sponsors, vendors or fancy banners, though I painted plywood signs and hope to have the local Sprinter Ice Cream Man attend. Hosting the event is my pleasure to give back the the Sprinter community, meet great folks and see some cool rigs camp together.

The preliminary schedule includes a potluck Friday. Saturday has a drive up canyon, music by the Strung Nugget Gang trio from Oroville, followed by the campfire and Sprinter Jeopardy. Sunday will commence with a pancake breakfast. This is a work in progress bound have more planned and unplanned happenings as well.

There will be plenty leisure time for relaxing and visiting with fellow Sprinter owners from the west coast (and beyond?).

Attendees should bring everything for a typical camping trip. The rustic Lake Concow Campground has no hook ups. There is water and cold showers, a dumpstation and a small store five miles up the road for diesel, propane and ice.

The cost is $15 per night for camping fees, or $5 for day use. You may pay in advance via Hipcamp, however the cost is $20 per night (the Hipcamp minimum). The campground will be accesible 24/7, so please feel free to come up on a whim. There is plenty of room and preregistration is not neccesary, though a reply from those interested is appreciated.

We are looking forward to seeing past campers again and meeting new friends in vans.

More information will trickle in here and please post any questions.
There will be a Facebook group
Instagram as well #norcalsprintercampout
Stay tuned for more information.

Hope to see you there. Dale and Karen

Last edited by a moderator:

SprinterSnale

Thanks Marc, Jeff and Yoko! It is impressive you guys are driving 500+ miles from opposite corners of the West Coast once again. Looking forward to seeing the progress on Marc1 as it was the newest Sprinter in 2017.

This is so inspiring, I will be changing the transmission conductor plate on the '05 Snale this morning in your honor. :lol::cheers:

Here's a tune from The Stung Nugget Gang about Black Bart, the gentleman outlaw, who pulled many stagecoach heists in Butte County.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQiFMByitE

SprinterSnale

Three months to the Campout. As we turn the summer corner I bet many Fall plans are now in the works. NorCal in the fall is wonderful. (though last year was a bit cool).

There are so many places to camp and explore in this region. Karen and I continue to discover epic camping spots in an 80 mile radius of our home that we've never ventured to in all our years. Like the high lake posted below up in Bucks Lake Wilderness. You could go to a different spot in NorCal every weekend of your life and not see all the sweet spots.

I hope everyone is having a great Summer Sprinter season and we hope you all get out for a fall sojourn and stop in at NCSC 2018 for a night or more.
Venture on. Dale and Karen

Fitz2

Other family plans have changed, thus it looks like Laura and I will be available again this year. Are you planning a drive to Beldon on Saturday or do you have another destination in mind?

SprinterSnale

Are you planning a drive to Belden on Saturday or do you have another destination in mind?
Looking forward to seeing the beige beast of a Sportmobile Fitz and meeting you Stu!

As I went up and down 70 this past weekend, I was pondering new potential destinations.
There are not many options right on 70 that offer enough room for a dozen rigs.
There is an abandon campground and school that I felt was too hard to pull off and hard on the paint with brush but would be a sweet picnic spot.
There is a new rafters parking lot along the river before Belden that could hold us.
There is another tiny resort/cafe at Caribou just East of Belden.
I doubt PG&E does power house tours, but I'm going to look into that.
It's a bit farther too get up to Indian Valley North on 89, but a beautiful high mountain valley containing the interesting town of Taylorsville. It's a very scenic hour drive from Concow,
I will check with my Plumas County contacts for more options.
I'm open to suggestions at to how far we want to go and what we want to see. We could do a short and long version for those wanting to journey farther.

There is good dirt roads continuing along Concow Road for a dusty loop back to 70. About an hour drive.

As for mountain bikers. I just learned of a recently built and opened downhill trail from Mt.Huff north of Quincy. Apparently it is on par with the Downieville trail donwhillers like.

We will have our EBikes for putting around the grounds.
It's going to be fun.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Maybe after a couple of years of work on the outlaw Transit, the conversion will be completed before this years meet. Almost done.

Will try to have a higher quality 3 pointed star to place on the van front so I can blend in easier. The cardboard one I had last year can be improved upon.

Last edited:

wmcbride

Dale,

Thanks for putting the campout on this year.

I’m looking forward to being there in a van this time around. You can count Mona, Graeme, and I in (and we might bring along Mona’s brother this time too.)

Thanks for organizing a great event in a wonderful spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SprinterSnale

Maybe after a couple of years of work on the outlaw Transit, the conversion will be completed before this years meet. Almost done.

Will try to have a higher quality 3 pointed star to place on the van front so I can blend in easier. The cardboard one I had last year can be improved upon.
At least we had two renegade Transits in 2017.
I reckon the first Promaster that shows up ought to get some sort of initiation (and a T-Shirt).

Speaking of our hood ornament contest last year, this year we will hand out a prize to the best van camp exterior lighting scheme. There are a lot of neat low power LED string light options nowadays.

I've been toying with the notion adding black Dodge racing stripes to the '05. But I enjoy not visually sticking out from other big white vans due to the nature of my profession. My van is like a mullet, business vibe on the outside and party vibe when looking in the back.:laughing:

pbansen

Sounds terrific - I hope we can make it!

Something else to put on your calendar is the Adventure Van Expo at Lake Tahoe (Homewood, California on the west shore) on September 15th. I don't know much about it - ran into the organizer/promoter at Costco in Reno one day - but it sounds like fun.

http://www.kampervangroovin.com

SprinterSnale

Hope I can make make it.
The Pacific North West representation of Sprinters has been impressive at NCSC.

Sounds terrific - I hope we can make it!
Something else to put on your calendar is the Adventure Van Expo at Lake Tahoe (Homewood, California on the west shore) on September 15th. I don't know much about it - ran into the organizer/promoter at Costco in Reno one day - but it sounds like fun.

http://www.kampervangroovin.com
Sounds like a great excuse to blast up to the West Shore! Thanks for sharing.
Looks like he's got some great sponsors. We have none-just keeping it simple.
Of course there is no shortage of shop talk. Peddling one's wares or showing off products is fine at NCSC.

And don't forget to bring Sprinter leftovers for the 'Free Box'. Where weird build-out accessories or proprietary Sprinter parts can find a happy new owner.

tahoebear

See ya there! Baloo the transit is much farther along now than she was last year. :)
Anybody know who's kitchen this is? I saw his drawers and retractable step last year and would like to do a similar setup. Kitchen cabinet is my next project :)

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
might be time to reveal my latest 2005 box truck project with elevator bed :)) will see.

SprinterSnale

might be time to reveal my latest 2005 box truck project with elevator bed :)) will see.
Sweet Chris. Is that on a 3500C chassis? Hope to see it. I had a '73 Dodge B3 Karyvan box truck before the T1 (8mpg, 360 with a Torgueflight, it could burn rubber with the Tommy Lift-glad I survived it)
TahoeBear had a great DIY bed lift in the Transit.

See ya there! Baloo the transit is much farther along now than she was last year. :)
Anybody know who's kitchen this is? I saw his drawers and retractable step last year and would like to do a similar setup. Kitchen cabinet is my next project :)
Hi Eric, I think your looking at Terrapin's kitchen (Jeff and Yoko), and they are coming again. Here is a 2016 view of the same foldout table, but the cabinet is modified. How did the 4WD Baloo do in the Tahoe winter?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Sweet Chris. Is that on a 3500C chassis? Hope to see it. I had a '73 Dodge B3 Karyvan box truck before the T1 (8mpg, 360 with a Torgueflight, it could burn rubber with the Tommy Lift-glad I survived it)

It's a 3500. I must say I like how the 3500s track compared to the 2500.

I'd like to make it again but this shin dig is always during peak fly fishing season. The bite is on in the middle of October. Perhaps I can link a Pit/McCloud fishing trip in... Hmmmmmmm :thumbup:

Thanks for continuing to put this on. It's a great event!!

Top Bottom