Curtains - front

onemanvan

For the past ten years Iv'e struggled with snaps on the big grey curtain ( windshield, driver & passenger window ). I recently came across an article that recommended oiling the snaps. Sounded messy and dubious. Nevertheless in desperation I decided to give it try. I added a tiny bit of sewing machine oil to the little spring steel wire inside the snaps on the curtain. WOW - what a difference! They now go on and off very easily:) Wish I had done this ten years ago!

Kiltym

Most of our snaps on the fabric portion of ours are broken or gone. It's on my to-do list to replace them. Wish the previous owner knew about the oil trick, may have saved more of them!

Just as another option, we installed a windshield sun screen that is much easier to deploy and use on a daily basis then the fabric. We still use the fabric when storing the van for any length of time.

Here is what we used: https://www.dashdesigns.com/i-26876177-2004-dodge-sprinter-van-the-original-sun-shade.html

We are very happy with it, much easier then the fabric, but does not cover side windows.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Do not yank curtain off. The snap side embedded in the plastic headliner can be yanked out (the one pulled out of mine was just a screw in rather than a rivet; don't remember, but I think Airstream replaced with a riveted or one with a backing).

Someone else posted about keeping a thumb on top of the snap curtain side and using a finger slipped under the curtain to pry off each snap. No yanking.

There was at least one Westy which did not have the gray circular trim piece around the snap part embedded in the plastic headliner. The trim piece make for a more finished look and a more attractive dimple in your forehead?

For quick cover, I use the Walmart available Super Jumbo sunshades in two pieces. Easier to handle than a one piece, but still have to use a figure 8 maneuver to fold up.

Note: Don't remember who, but a Westy owner added some more snaps behind the front seats to hang the same windshield curtain. Made a quick half curtain for some privacy without adding a full curtain rod/track and a separate curtain.

Last edited:

Riptide

I dropped my headliner last year to re-bed all the snaps, since the original snaps are only pop-riveted thru the plastic headliner.

I drilled out the original rivets, then backed each snap with a tight-fitting washer, and re-riveted them.

I was also going to replace all the snaps with a magnet-type system, after buying a bunch of magnet "snaps" from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3506k23/=1d79qwr

Still might someday...

Increasingly, I use the Fanchers window shade; easy on and off:

https://fanchers.com/shop?olsPage=products/2001-2006-sprinter-basic-sunblock-windshield-cover

Last edited:

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I added hot glued small magnets to the snaps on the fabric and a metal base where the male snaps were. Can pull it off easilly.

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
For the past ten years Iv'e struggled with snaps on the big grey curtain ( windshield, driver & passenger window ). I recently came across an article that recommended oiling the snaps. Sounded messy and dubious. Nevertheless in desperation I decided to give it try. I added a tiny bit of sewing machine oil to the little spring steel wire inside the snaps on the curtain. WOW - what a difference! They now go on and off very easily:) Wish I had done this ten years ago!
I did something similar. For some reason these snaps are harding to use than those in the Vanagon Westfalia camper which should be identical. I use hi-tech gun oil rather than sewing machine oil. :bounce:

jujupang

I just use an expandable curtain rod across the top just behind the front seats with simple fabric curtains . I just close the curtains if Boondocking in the public. It may be less obvious that someone is Boondocking if the driver’s area is visible to a quick drive by.

Top Bottom