How do I remove rear view mirror?

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
I've searched! And searched...
Many mention removing the useless rear view mirror (2016 UTB) but I can't find any posts that tell HOW to do it.
I want to mount a mini iPad in that spot but can't find any posts that mention HOW, so I'm open to suggestions or instructions.

So far I'm considering 1) mount Ram adhesive base ball mount to mirror glass, or 2) remove mirror from existing ball so I can measure ball size and match to a Ram base, or 3) remove entire mirror base and replace with Ram adhesive mount in the same area.

I'm aware of other mounting options, specifically Pro Clip but I don't want it on the dash area, I want it above, where the mirror currently is.

Thanks for your help.

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
Thanks but it doesn't budge.

I should clarify that there is a large black plastic housing surrounding the mirror. It looks like it has some electronics inside which I can see through slots in the housing. I can not see any set screws or pry slots on either the mirror, mirror support arm or the electronics cover. Given the price of Mercedes parts, I am reluctant to push, pry or pull any harder than I already have absent specific instructions.

Anyone?

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
There was a small set screw on the bottom of mine (2014 Unity TB). Loosen the screw and then slide the mirror housing up.

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
Thanks, but as I said "no set screw"

OK, update. In the immortal words of Logan Lucky, "I found it on the google."

Twist mirror arm (NOT the mirror itself) to the left or right and it pops right off.

Last edited:

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB

Twist mirror arm (NOT the mirror itself) to the left or right and it pops right off.

I have to wonder how many variants of the mirror/mount Mother Benz has sent out the door. My original (2014) mirror did have a set screw. I removed it anyway and am using that location for my Garmin GPS. I had a really bad crack in my windshield from a rock out on a freeway so had my windshield replaced just ober a year ago - and the new windshield came with a completely different mount that doesn't match my mirror at all. I don't think the technique you just used would have worked with the style of mount that came with the new Mercedes windshield so there are 3 or more different mounts within the last 4 years :wtf:

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
Someone on this forum pried mirror off of the ball in back of the mirror and mounted GPS on the ball. I tried to pull it off but I was not successful. Didn’t want to destroy the mirror or mount. I would like to know how to get it off. Right now I put GPS suction cup mount directly on mirror glass.

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
I've been fiddling around with this also. It seems that the ball is a press-fit into a rubber O-ring inside the back of the mirror. I've pulled on it just enough that it seems like it WILL pop out if I pull hard enough but then what? If I knew the diameter of the ball was close to .97" I could attach a short double socket arm from Ram to it and use that to mount my iPad. Or I could saw off the ball and epoxy or screw the proper size ball from Ram to the mirror support arm.

I'm just hesitant to destroy the mirror although I'm not sure why. There really isn't a use for it and I always keep it turned up so I don't see a reflection from the bedroom mirror in the back. I didn't have it tipped up the other day and found myself glancing at the rear view mirror thinking there's a car behind me. What?? It was a reflection of the reflection of the car in front of me....

CB1945

Now that you have the removal issue solved, here is an option to mount your iPad. I tried two different suction cup mounts for my dash cam that worked OK until the windshield got heated in the sun and plop.
This one stays put forever or until you need a new windshield and that's why them sell them in a pack of two I guess. :thumbup:

https://www.amazon.com/IG-PSTARA-i-...6949121&sr=8-79&keywords=Windshield+gps+mount

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
Thanks for the suggestion, BUT:

I'm in Arizona; adhesive mount not a viable option because 1) heat, 2) I have 3M crystalline film on inside of windshield. It significantly reduces UV and heat but it still gets too hot for adhesives and adhesive cannot be applied to interior anyway because of film on window. I've considered adhesive mount directly to mirror but even with reflectix sunscreen that area is too hot to hold mount, in the opinion of the manufacturer, with whom I spoke.

Thus I'm still looking for a mechanical connection. All suggestions appreciated.

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Someone on this forum pried mirror off of the ball in back of the mirror and mounted GPS on the ball.
I did that. Mounted my Garmin RV GPS there, and ran power through compartment above driver's seat and then down to fuse panel under dash.

LUNITY

2021LunityTB
If there's any way you can measure the diameter of the mirror arm ball I'd appreciate it.
Also, did you just pry the mirror off of the ball?

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
If there's any way you can measure the diameter of the mirror arm ball
Sorry, but I couldn't get the diameter of the MB mounting ball without removing my installation. And, as described below, I modified it anyway.

(No idea how to make picture bigger!)

After twisting the mirror off the mounting ball, I removed the pedestal / mounting ball. from the black plastic housing. Because the MB mounting ball was smaller than the mounting ring on the Garmin GPS I wanted to mount in place of the mirror, I dipped the ball in Plasti Dip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9SK8XY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, building up the layers until the ball fig snugly in the mounting ring. I then re-installed the pedestal and snapped the Garmin in place. I don't have a lot of adjustability because of the additional friction, but then I don't need it once I have the Garmin positioned where I want it.

Last edited:

Stan2

A 90 degree twist of the mirror mount will remove it and leave the hole that you see in the photo. This is on a 2014 Sprinter.

Last edited:

merleg

2018 LTV Unity MB
Aarpskier wrote:

After twisting the mirror off the mounting ball, I removed the pedestal / mounting ball. from the black plastic housing. Because the MB mounting ball was smaller than the mounting ring on the Garmin GPS I wanted to mount in place of the mirror, I dipped the ball in Plasti Dip.
I really like the idea of mounting my GPS on the mirror ball, so I removed the entire mirror assembly by twisting as described elsewhere in this thread. But try as I might I cannot seem to twist or pry the mirror itself off of the ball. If I apply too much force, I am fearful of breaking the arm and ball along with the mirror.

Any secret that someone can share? Can you describe the method you used in more detail? Thank you!

CTRoadie

I was able to remove the mirror by simply twisting the arm mount clockwise as others have already highlighted. It will pop right off. I then used a Dremel to cut some of the socket on the back of the mirror and pried the mirror off of the mirror arm (destroying the mirror in the process). As AARP Skier noted, the ball mounted permanently to the arm was too small for the Garmin GPS, which uses a 17mm ball. So I modified the mirror arm by cutting off the factory metal ball (don't cut off the stud that the ball is mounted to...leave it as long as possible) I then drilled a 1/8" hole through the stud and used a #8 self-tapping screw to thread the hole in the stud. I cut off a 17 mm ball from an old Garmin mount, drilled a 1/8" hole into it and tapped the hole using the # 8 screw. I then screwed a longer #8 screw from the back of the arm through the stud and into the ball. The modified factory mirror mount works and looks great. Now...If I can only figure out how to get some cab power into the overhead light console, I will mount a cigarette lighter socket to plug the GPS into.

Last edited:

geds

2018 Serenity
I replaced my mirror with a Rear View Camera monitor this summer. I have a 2018 Serenity (2017 MB chassis). We went round and round with Camping World and RV Safety (the manufacturer of the camera) to find the correct mount. MB changed the mirror (apparently several times) through the last few model years. The tech showed me the twisting procedure to remove the mirror mount, but our problem was finding the correct replacement to fit with there camera. We wound up with a Dodge Ram mount.

Top Bottom