Thule- new awning option

foxfire235

Thank you very much! Super helpful explanation. I'm assuming there are videos on how to remove the headliner? Do you have any experience doing this and the level of difficulty required?

If your sprinter doesn't have the factory tracks installed on the roof the official fit from Thule would be the roof mount awning 620001 or 620002 with the roof mount adapter 308073. This would give you the flush mount look that fits the sprinters very well. It does limit the ability to mount crossbars, platforms, or solar panels a bit though.

As for installing the roof mount adapter it is glued to the roof as well as bolted. On the roof of the sprinters without the tracks there are many rubber plugs that cover the holes used for mounting the tracks. The bolts that attach the awning adapter to the roof will go through a few of those holes and you will need to drop the headliner to attach a washer and nut. The user manual that is downloadable as pdf on Thule's website shows how the adapters attach.

To better understand the plugs in the roof that you will have to remove I would look at the user manual for the Thule Fit Kit 3032 which is for putting crossbars on the sprinters without the factory tracks.
Here's the link for the user manual: https://cdn1.static-tgdp.com/assetloader.axd?pimid=KIT3032&id=508188&brand=Thule&market=US&att=1

Sstromerson

Thank you very much! Super helpful explanation. I'm assuming there are videos on how to remove the headliner? Do you have any experience doing this and the level of difficulty required?
I have not removed the headliner myself but there are most likely a good video or two "on the line"

Hi,
Have searched for reviews on this Thule awning and not much out there.
I have a 2019 passenger 4x4 and looking to get this awning.
I have factory roof rails.

Any regrets or great things about it?

Thanks!

Montucky

Hi,
Have searched for reviews on this Thule awning and not much out there.
I have a 2019 passenger 4x4 and looking to get this awning.
I have factory roof rails.

Any regrets or great things about it?

Thanks!
I went with the Thule rack mount awning over the roof mount. I like that the mounting brackets don't have any contact with the paint on the roof. The roof mount awning is more low profile, but the brackets are bigger and rest on the paint. I did add a 3rd awning bracket to my 10' setup to make it more secure. Happy with my choice. Thule is having an awesome sale right now with big discounts on both awnings... might be worth checking out.

Attachments

Thank you Montucky. Your van has a very clean look.
Yes I noticed the sale and want to pull the trigger on it.

Sorry for newbie question:
You mentioned "the Thule rack mount awning over the roof mount"

What is the difference?
From your picture looks like you are using factory roof rails?
I don't see that you have roof racks.

I see people mount on their roof racks (which I don't have) or the factory roof rails (which I have).

So with the factory roof rails, can I get the Thule rack mount awning?

thanks!

Montucky

Thank you Montucky. Your van has a very clean look.
Yes I noticed the sale and want to pull the trigger on it.

Sorry for newbie question:
You mentioned "the Thule rack mount awning over the roof mount"

What is the difference?
From your picture looks like you are using factory roof rails?
I don't see that you have roof racks.

I see people mount on their roof racks (which I don't have) or the factory roof rails (which I have).

So with the factory roof rails, can I get the Thule rack mount awning?

thanks!
Yeah - it's kind of confusing. Both the roof mount and rack mount awnings use the factory roof rails... it's different in how they attach and what adapters are used. I attached both adapters and circled the paint contact areas that I mentioned in my earlier post. Like I mentioned, I used 3 of the adapters so I had to buy 2 sets and sell the one spare... but this makes the rack more secure. I attached a photo of how I installed on my van.

Attachments

Yeah - it's kind of confusing. Both the roof mount and rack mount awnings use the factory roof rails... it's different in how they attach and what adapters are used. I attached both adapters and circled the paint contact areas that I mentioned in my earlier post. Like I mentioned, I used 3 of the adapters so I had to buy 2 sets and sell the one spare... but this makes the rack more secure. I attached a photo of how I installed on my van.
Montucky,

Thanks for the details. Super helpful. Made the purchase today but 4 weeks backorder.

mtncrawler

Thanks for the info - yes a bit confusing for sure. So I take it, this is the model/model number for the 8 x 10 that you have?

Montucky

Thanks for the info - yes a bit confusing for sure. So I take it, this is the model/model number for the 8 x 10 that you have?
Yup! That's the one I have.

I should mention that the one quirk that the rack mount awning has which is well documented on the web is that the crank for extending/retracting the awning can get stuck unless you put a grommet on the end which limits how far the crank can insert into the awning. The reason for this is that the crank needs to be vertical for it to release from the awning, but this is not possible without hitting the edge of the roof. Hein @ DIYVan makes special brackets that will eliminate this problem, but the grommet works for me. It's a minor inconvenience.

karsh

Isn't there a 12.3 foot version more suitable for 170s? Anyone have experience with that one? I only see it listed as a wall mount though, not a rack mount. I'm guessing that's why folks go for the 10 foot maybe. I'm tempted to buy the wall mount with the sprinter brackets that they have and take an angle grinder to the brackets and come up with a way of rigging it to work with the OEM roof rails. Anyone try this yet?

Sstromerson

Isn't there a 12.3 foot version more suitable for 170s? Anyone have experience with that one? I only see it listed as a wall mount though, not a rack mount. I'm guessing that's why folks go for the 10 foot maybe. I'm tempted to buy the wall mount with the sprinter brackets that they have and take an angle grinder to the brackets and come up with a way of rigging it to work with the OEM roof rails. Anyone try this yet?
The 12.3' awning is the roof mount version
This works great with the 170 sprinters. It would mount directly to the factory tracks with this adapter:
Or to a sprinter with no tracks with this adapter:

These fit well and look great. The only downside is they take up essentially the entire length of tracks which makes it difficult to mount anything else to your roof (crossbars or solar panel rack). I think that's why many people go with the 10' rack mount or wall mount version.

stateescapes

Hey everyone! New to this forum and recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 144" WB. I was about to order the 8 foot awning but after looking at photos, the 10ft just seems to look better and it's only $50 more.

Does anyone know where the 10 foot is in stock? I want to hit the road soon and can't find them anywhere.

Thanks!

Sstromerson

Hey everyone! New to this forum and recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 144" WB. I was about to order the 8 foot awning but after looking at photos, the 10ft just seems to look better and it's only $50 more.

Does anyone know where the 10 foot is in stock? I want to hit the road soon and can't find them anywhere.

Thanks!
Completely agree on the 10' one fitting better.
Not sure where you're located but when I was in the shop last week the ReRack in Renton/Seattle, WA had at least one in stock. I would call in to double check and they could put it on hold for you. They also have a store in Portland, OR.

GYG

Yup! That's the one I have.

I should mention that the one quirk that the rack mount awning has which is well documented on the web is that the crank for extending/retracting the awning can get stuck unless you put a grommet on the end which limits how far the crank can insert into the awning. The reason for this is that the crank needs to be vertical for it to release from the awning, but this is not possible without hitting the edge of the roof. Hein @ DIYVan makes special brackets that will eliminate this problem, but the grommet works for me. It's a minor inconvenience.
@Montucky do you have any photos of this grommet you are talking about? Thanks!!

Top Bottom