Dipstick length

deedees

I bought a dipstick, planning on changing my transmission fluid,when I insert it into the tube it hangs up about 3/12 inches from the end and just registers on the very tip, and when i push past that bit of resistance in goes all the way in to the end and registers way over full. My question is does anyone have a distance from the tip of the dipstick to the top of the dipstick tube when inserted to the dipstick stop in the transmission. Im thinking dipsticks length my very depending on where you by them. I own a 2007 V6.

showkey

Deedee........when you did your first measurement was the transmission up to full operating temperature ? Makes a HUGE difference on the amount reading on the stick.

sailquik

deedees;
If you examine the dipstick you purchased vey carefully, you will see that the plastic measurement scale at the bottom end has a diamond shaped
area (kind of like "ears" at the top of the plastic scale).
Those "ears" are what sets the level of the measuring scale.
The "ears" engage the necked down area at the bottom of the dipstick tube where it enters (pressed in..... very tight connection) the aluminum
transmission housing.
Since the same dipstick seems to fit virtually ALL 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 transmissions in many different vehicles, the length of the coiled spring
shaft needs to fit all of the possibilities so how much it sticks out above the top of the dipstick tube is does not matter as long as it's long enough
to push the measurement scale down the dipstick tube until the "ears" engage the neck in the dipstick tube.
When you feel the resistance to the scale ear, you have pushed the plastic scale to the correct depth for an accurate measurement of the
fluid level.
Avoid pushing it further in as that could result in the plastic scale breaking off in the transmission.
If the handle sticks out 3.5" (or more....or less) it just does not matter.
Hope this helps,
Roger

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Yeah; .. for years the oils level was measured from the top of the dip stick tube. No longer, now the standards are the oil-level is measured when hot from the lower transmission housing using stop ears near the bottom of the dipstick. Nothing wrong with that!

Get with the times. :smirk:

jzf0fk

OK. I wished I read this before I bought the dipstick online. Can I reuse the cap and pin after removal?

If not, I can get it at the dealer ...

SeattleMatt

In reading this, i am still confused, my dipstick seems to go all the way in, I don't know if its hitting any "stop ears" 08 NCV3.

I looked at this picture, which is accurate for our transmissions?

Attachments

manwithgun

Unknown member
Your illustration shows 2 different styles of dip sticks. Which do you have? The only one I’ve used is on the LEFT, with a plastic tip where the diamond shaped section (if yours is still intact) acts as a stop and the spiral wound “stick” extends past the “tube”. Being plastic, I suppose you could accidentally force it past the ears and get a false reading. How high is your oil reading?

sailquik

SeattleMatt,
As MWG suggests, the one on the left, (marked Original Dipstick Mercedes Benz) has the correct measurement scale for your
2008 Sprinter with the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed transmission.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the OEM Dipstick (at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer Parts Counter) is
around $60.00.
An aftermarket OEM style trans dipstick costs $29.97 + a little for shipping!
https://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009transmissionservicedipstick.asp
Note: Read the text in red print on the above link......the amount of coiled spring extension above the top of the dipstick tube
simply does NOT matter!
Why everyone seems to want to go for the cheapest tool to measure the fluid level in a transmission that costs $2500 to $3000
PLUS installation for a rebuilt Silver Star unit with some warranty
or significantly more for a factory re-manufactured transmission from an authorized Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter
dealer.
Why people want to save a few $$ on the primary tool to ensure the long term health of a $3,000.00 + transmission simply
does not compute in my mind.
Get the right dipstick, read the manufacturer's (and the retail sellers) blurbs on how to use it, replace the fluid with the genuine
Mercedes Benz BEVO approved fluid for your year model Sprinter, and have the transmission serviced at the recommended
(in your owners or service manual, usually ~ 50k-60K miles) or DIY and these transmission last a very long time.
Run them low on fluid, or use the wrong fluid and the $$ saved on buying the OEM (or correct facsimile) dipstick will definitely
seem penny wise/pound foolish.
Hope this helps,
Roger

SeattleMatt

This is what mine looks like. When I purchased it, I thought it said it was an OEM copy, but I can't get a feel for whether it is bottoming out on the pan or just coiling up. It's not something you can tell with a 3 foot long spring.IMG_20200531_133850.jpg

sailquik

SeattleMatt,
Ahh!
The issue is that the OEM Genuine Mercedes Benz transmission dipstick is a tool that works across several "platforms"
(i.e. vehicle types/sizes/models and model years. So, the coiled spring handle fits the longest variant!
The dipstick tube length would possibly be consistent throughout the Dodge/Freightliner 2007-2009 range, but there is no sure way
beyond getting a bunch of dipstick tubes from all the model years that use the OM-612/OM-647 5 cylinders and OM-642 V6 engines and
measuring the length of the dipstick tube from the top of the tube to the "neck" where the tube is rolled from the larger diameter
to the close tolerance diameter that press fits into the close tolerance hole in the aluminum transmission housing.
AFAIK I've only ever purchased 2 OEM Sprinter transmission dipsticks.
The one with the red handle works for all 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed automatic transmissions from early USA specification 2002
T1N's with the OM-612 5 cylinder engine, the later USA specification 2004-2006 T1N's with the OM-647 5 cylinder.
The same dipstick worked perfectly in my 2010/2011/2012 Mercedes Benz NCV3 Sprinters also using the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1
5 speed transmission with the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 engine.
I had to purchase a 2nd factory transmission dipstick (with the green handle) for my 2014 OM-651 2.143 liter 4 cylinder engine
with the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission. The measurement scale is quite different but the "ears"/stops at the top of the
measurement scale still sets the position of the scale in the fluid.
As I recall, the green handle dipstick also is significantly longer than the length of the 2014 Sprinter dipstick tube.
Feeling the stop ears on the OEM Genuine Mercedes Benz Dipstick is relatively easy, and I suppose you could use tape
or a Sharpie indelible pen and mark where the top of the dipstick tube is when the stop ears are engaged at the correct
measurement height in the transmission.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Oldfartt

I ran a length of spiral curtain rod (thinner than the dipstick so it is not stopped by the neck of the tube) down the tube until it hit the bottom of the pan. Wrapped a piece of insulation tape around the curtain rod where it comes out of the tube. Do the same with the dipstick. I measured the difference between the two of 13mm. which means that the dipstick does not reach the bottom of the pan.
Cheers
Ross

SeattleMatt

Thanks, the measurement I am looking for is not the excess dipstick at the top. I realize all dipstick are different here. This would not be consistent.

The measurement I am looking for is the length from the sleeve to the end when it is properly inserted.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
^^^

"How do I know how much to remove?"
how to: by measuring • install the dip stick fully in the trans-tube and mark the tube top on the Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and take measurement from the Mark to the level you want. (Mine measured 42-1/8") • mark the vacuum tube with the measurement; install the V-tube in the Tran-tube to the mark and vacuum the oil until drawing air.
"And if I remove too much, based on a particular hot reading, how much should I add back? Does anyone know how many N'ths of a quart it takes to get the reading to move, say, 1/8"? Is it even linear? That is, if it's 1" low on the dipstick, does the first 1/8" rise in level take as much fluid as the last 1/8"?"
Yes it's not linear , I over filled by adding 1/2qt the level moved 3-1/2inches.
When the level is between the High and Low - I found 4oz's (1/8 qt.) will move the oil level 1/4 inch

Last edited:

Oldfartt

Thanks, the measurement I am looking for is not the excess dipstick at the top. I realize all dipstick are different here. This would not be consistent.

The measurement I am looking for is the length from the sleeve to the end when it is properly inserted.
The reason you have not had a definitive answer is that the sprinters do not all have the same engine. I can only answer for the 4 cylinder 646 engine 2011 NCV3. My dipstick measures from the bottom tip to the flare at the top of the tube is 805mm. I suggest you do as I have explained to establish the length for your particular case.

SeattleMatt

So I'm looking at this again in reading back on this thread and unfortunately I'm still puzzled. my transmission dipstick is the correct one it does have the ears but it shoves in far enough that it goes all the way in if I push hard enough. so it must be getting past the ears somehow? in any case if I shove it past that point then it reads full or it's completely covered if I pull it up to where there is some resistance then it doesn't show any fluid at all. it's frustrating because if I had some measurement that gave me an idea of the length it should be then I would know where that resistance point should be but there's so much resistance as you stick it in just not clear where it's stopping or where it's not stopping.

almost everyone here has the om642 engine in a sprinter with the same transmission so it shouldn't be that difficult to get this measurement so that I at least I have a ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom