Replacement Alcoa Decorative Nut Caps?

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
My decorative wheel nut caps have been damaged by careless tire mechanics. Many have simply come off going down the road. Any suggestions for replacements? I assume these are polished stainless.

2016 Sprinter Chassis
Unity Murphy Bed
Alcoa Wheels

Scarecrow

Answered my own question by digging deeper...
Phoenix USA P/N SP39

Lowest price, so far: $2.30 Each - but also available at the, Phoenix USA website for $3.10 or so.

https://zips.com/parts-detail/phoenix-lugnut-cover-19mm-hex-sprinter-c-sp39

At least, you are not forced to buy packs of 5 or 20, when you need 24.

A special tool is offered to easily remove them without pliers and cloth: Wheel Masters 8211,
Which Camping World carries, or can be bought for less than $12 elsewhere online.

I will learn to pull these off before visiting a tire store. The mechanics get fooled and use their air hammers, which distort them.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

I think I may just replace all the nuts with Chrome Gorilla Nuts. Nearly every Cap has now disappeared. People on the highway behind me must not be happy!

Capt. Ken

You should really take better care of your nuts!!! Silicone works, but be careful, you don't want to gum things up to badly!!!

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
I think I may just replace all the nuts with Chrome Gorilla Nuts. Nearly every Cap has now disappeared. People on the highway behind me must not be happy!
Be extremely careful as PITA is on the hunt for guys using Gorilla nuts. This certainly has a negative effect on gorilla reproduction in the wild.

Scarecrow

Have you guys been hanging around my nephew in Michigan? Every conversation with him deteriorates into a nut or dick joke. I blame it on his education, and the fact that he's got a Masters in Social Work. He deals with nuts every day...

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
As an owner of a shop that works on Sprinters, it's important to have the tool. I have personally taken then off without the tool, very carefully. Lost 3 caps down the road on my own Unity, caps are kind of a PPD as we call it in the business. Piss Poor Design.

Scarecrow

Yeah, I'm convinced to abandon the caps, and simply replace the nuts, themselves. Now, to hunt those tricksy Gorillas!!

Scarecrow

As an owner of a shop that works on Sprinters, it's important to have the tool. I have personally taken then off without the tool, very carefully. Lost 3 caps down the road on my own Unity, caps are kind of a PPD as we call it in the business. Piss Poor Design.
Eugene Rider: One of the other members in our Sprinter-Source forum, here, recommended my replacing the Lug Nut Caps with actual Gorilla Lug Nuts. That requires a shop to remove my existing ones, and installing / torquing my new ones. I will be passing by Eugene, OR soon -- could you do this? Any idea as to cost? There are 24 total on my 2017 Unity RV. Brandsport sells the lug nuts and -- oddly enough -- they are in Eugene, OR, too.

Scarecrow

Eugene Rider came through like a champ! I ordered the components from Brandsport, at the suggestion of another Member here. Eugene Rider was standing at the counter while I was on the phone! Such an odd coincidence. He picked them up and transported them to his best auto service location, called Stadium Automotive. For about $30, he installed all 24 and torqued them properly. No more caps!! He even bought me lunch while we waited. What more could one ask??

mmsprinter

2018 LTV Unity MB
Scare,

What was the stock number for the Gorilla lug bolts that fit? Were you able to resist getting the decorative Gorilla hex caps (available in six colors) !

Thanks

Scarecrow

Scare,

What was the stock number for the Gorilla lug bolts that fit? Were you able to resist getting the decorative Gorilla hex caps (available in six colors) !

Thanks
They look like the photo, when installed, and comes as two parts: (sorry, I did not take the time to clean my vehi le since adding these) Washer goes flat against the wheel. Lug Nut sits into the recess created by the washer. And I think you'll want the Heat Treated option.

Part Numbers are...
Washer: 79916
Lug Nut: 91148HT

The Lug Nuts are 14mm Threaded x 1.5.
Just go to Brandsport to search.
My costs were about $120 for 26 of each part (2 for spares), and $150, roughly, installed (that is, $30 installation fee). Shipping may be extra, of course. Larry is the owner of Brandsport, I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom