Zion

Headed out to Zion (UT) for a week (from Denver). Anybody want to share their favorite spots for Sprinter camping?

Thanks in advance

QK

RVCuisineScene

Muley Point southwest of Blanding, at the top of the Mokie Dugway, go out to the end and camp next to the cliffs overlooking the San Juan. I'm currently camped at Rabbit Valley exit 2 on I70 and may be headed that way.

Headed out to Zion (UT) for a week (from Denver). ...
QK
This is not what you asked.

Avoid Zion on the W/E if possible.

Include the Route 12 Hogback in the route to Zion. Even before the Hogback there are some beautiful spots along Route 12. The Hogback is spectacular. Be ready though. Most times I was slowing down for my wife (heading south the passenger overlooks the drop-offs :rolleyes:). There were more than few times when I slowed down for me though. :smilewink:

You will enjoy the drive to Zion. We learned that some of the best parts of our out west trip was the drive to the next destination.

:cheers: vic

Kirk

On top of Gooseberry Mesa

The views are great and you can ride really fun MTB trails right out of your camp. There are no facilities there other than a pit toilet however.

Kevsuda

I stayed at the Zion river resort a couple nights car camping. Typical, nice RV park with many amenities. Right on the virgin river but no views or anything spectacular. Hot tub, pool & showers are nice after hiking. There is some BLM on Kolob Tarrace Road (road to subway) that is dispersed camping sort of shady free for all. Wasn't too into sleeping there in a tent, but with the sprinter I would consider it if I were out of options. The campsites in the park are a first come first serve which the line starts fairly early in the morning.

sprinterPaul

How much of a drive do you want and what facilities?

Sheep bridge road. Lots of spots and easy access to zion. 5-10 minutes from hwy to zion. In middle of JEM trails if you mtb.
Dusty and windy but super close.

Gooseberry mesa. Takes a while to get in there. Can slick rock camp.

Dalton wash road Few spots on road. Many on top. Guacamole mesa. Views of zion. Slick rock camping. Amazing trails (mtb). Tons of petrified wood too. Faster and easier to get to than gooseberry and on way to zion.

All are free.

Guacamole.

Last edited:

calbiker

After those great places you'll wonder why you left to go to Zion. Zion is great, but the camping sucks. I'll take Gooseberry Mesa any day. You wouldn't want to be without a mtb there though.

How much of a drive do you want and what facilities?

Sheep bridge road. Lots of spots and easy access to zion. 5-10 minutes from hwy to zion. In middle of JEM trails if you mtb.
Dusty and windy but super close.

Gooseberry mesa. Takes a while to get in there. Can slick rock camp.

Dalton wash road Few spots on road. Many on top. Guacamole mesa. Views of zion. Slick rock camping. Amazing trails (mtb). Tons of petrified wood too. Faster and easier to get to than gooseberry and on way to zion.

All are free.

Attachments

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
You don't have many options of camping in Zion, but did you get reservation?
I was there 3 months ago, when campgrounds were closed and scenic route had lot of restrictions.
But fellow member was there 2 weeks ago and he said everything is open now, so hopefully he will come to share.
I doubt any campground owner will come with tape measure to check if you are 6" longer.
I was driving 27' motorhome into park with 25' restrictions, but I knew the park and did not worry too much about low branches.

glasseye

We learned that some of the best parts of our out west trip was the drive to the next destination.
:cheers: vic
Heh. Me, too. The destination is just the excuse. The real purpose is the drive. That's the main reason I don't need solar. I'm never in one place long enough to need it. Meanwhile, along the Burr Trail, in Escalante National Monument, north of Zion, south of Capitol Reef:

SFP_20130321_6311.jpg

smittylube

Thanks guys. It sounds like maybe other places would be better options.
a bit of searching and I see many killer spots around Zion with less people.

glasseye

Thanks guys. It sounds like maybe other places would be better options.
a bit of searching and I see many killer spots around Zion with less people.
Zion is nice, but methinks your timing is poor. Because of its geography and reputation, Zion has resorted to shuttle buses to cope with the crowds, which are predicted to be huge this year. Capitol Reef and environs are close contenders for quality experiences, but without the crowds that accompany the notoriety of Bryce and Zion.

In the immortal words of Tony Soprano: "F*%#ing Internet!"

Top Bottom