Icon whistling noise

closter

I have an annoying whistling noise coming from the coach side door. It happens at 60 MPH and above. I drove it and taped all the seams and obstructions around that door. Finally, I taped the box awning seam where the front of the awning meets the fixed plastic molding and...I THINK that I fixed it. Trouble is.....I did it with masking tape and I don't want to have to retape every time I hit the road.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Closter

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
You said coach door. Do you mean the oem chassis doors? If so, check the windshield rubber gasket along the outside of the windshield. Particularly the vertical sections on each side of the windshield. This noise had irritated us for thousands of miles and sounded variously as it was coming from the dash, outside mirror, front of door and the overhead bulge on our Navion. Because of its construction, this windshield gasket/trim can be easily 'pulled up' by the wind and cause a really irritating howling/whistling noise. I taped up the vertical side sections on the windshield and the noise stopped completely. I have since sealed this trim to the windshield. Several forum members have had, and fixed this noise issue.

closter

Thanks for the response Philip.
The door in question is the Icon entry door just behind the Sprinter passenger door. The noise comes from behind the passenger seat and generally the Icon door itself. With my wife driving, I have put my ear to the door and I cannot pinpoint the exact source...Just the door in general. It must be coming from outside!
So this is where I'm at... Sealing the box awning where it meets the Icon wall and the gap where the movable panel meets the fixed front cowling of the awning.
I will report again later.
Closter

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Closter, you may want to use some of that wide (2" or so) blue tape and tape the exterior door all around the gap at the door/body joint. Easy and cheap to do. If the noise goes away, well, you have a place to start. And conversely if it doesn't, you have eliminated that possibility.

Good Luck!

closter

Yes Phillip, that's exactly what I did expecting the door seal to be leaking but the noise continued.
Yesterday, I squeezed a length of backer rod into the gap between the end cap of the Colorado box awning and the Icon wall and TA-DAA! the noise is gone.
Adding some silicone caulk to stick the backer rod in place completes the repair.
Thanks, Phillip for the input.

I have a similar problem.
When my wife was driving on the highway, in pretty wind conditions, we could hear whistling and wind noise coming from the coach door. While driving, I got up and checked the door and I could see the upper corner of the door flexing rapidly....could actually see daylight when the wind hit it hard enough. The noise was pretty terrible.
Evidently, the coach doors are supposed to be cambered so when they close, the upper and lower portions "suck on to" the door frame.
Will have to make a trip to Decatur I think.

Top Bottom