Winnebago ERA 170M,2017: Protect trunk light switch, organize rear storage

bigfatguy

Member
(Sorry if the images don't appear cleanly... in preview it's showing a link instead of the images... a permissions issue with my account, maybe?)

This is a review of things I've installed in my trunk previously, as well as some updated changes. I'm going to roll them all into one, but I didn't do this all off the bat.

The trunk of the ERA 170M isn't bad; but it's rather oddly shaped, and primarily looks to be designed for use with tall items (they brag that you can store two sets of golf clubs... which would be great if I played golf... ever...

On the other hand, I have some dump-station related parts (rinse hose, drain hose, hose support, etc.), a grill, propane tanks, a folding table, one of those steel-mesh folding fire "pits", two folding chairs, a toolbox, shovel, and other assorted items that one uses while camping.

We recently purchased a collapsible ladder as well, thinking there might be a day we need to get to the top of the rig. I had to find somewhere to put it and hold it in place while driving.

The trunk, as purchased, can be seen in this video. Mine (a 2017) has two Rubbermaid hanging "strips" on it, but this is otherwise basically mine. Note the location of the two-button light/water pump switch, and note that there is a second "ledge" on the left hand side about halfway between the roofline and the small square "doghouse" thing on the bottom left. I don't know why the (curse) you need a water pump switch in the trunk... and who thought it was a good idea to put push-button switches right where it would be sure to get bumped by things in the trunk...

Also, if something falls on it, as happened to me, the switch pretty much gets smashed. Did you know this little two-button switch costs $130?



So, I undid the screws around the larger "ledge", to look inside and see what the structure looked like.


Lots of structure, and nothing really sensitive beyond a few wires near the bottom. The water pump is accessible through here, although you can also get to it through the bathroom (pretty sure)


Once I marked where the "studs" were, I installed some d-rings for ladder restraining purposes. (I know, they are not 100% level.)


The ladder is resting on a hard wood shelf, heavy-side down to minimize torque and bouncing, and tied down with paracord. I need to look up some knot-tying videos.


The switch is now protected by two cabinet pulls. They are screwed in at the top, and held by load-spreading pop rivets at the bottom. When I replace the switch, it should avoid getting smashed again.


The tall storage area on the right is lined with 4 strips of adjustable shelf supports. The shelves are glued to the brackets so they don't fall off. The wooden "panel" on the far right side of the trunk area is pretty flimsy, the shelves are as much part of the structure as they are held up by it.



A few more hooks, some bungee cords, and some judicious use of rubbermaid hooks, and the trunk is pretty well set up. The power cable will be coiled and hung from the bare hook near the top center of the trunk.
 

Top Bottom