Rear back up camera install

cedarsanctum

re: Member
If that's an illuminated toggle switch, it will need the ground. You could also switch that lead so you can control that light as well.

shanemac

Thanks... before i went and wired up and mount the toggle switch i figured i would just plug the rear camera in to the system(van turned on) not expecting to see a image on the monitor... and to my surprise the camera is powered and showing a image. Granted the camera image is on all the time unless i hit the monitor power button then it will turn system off (or if i turn van off). I assumed the green trigger wire would power the camera but it must just trigger the monitor to turn on in some way:thinking: So as it stands i could use the system just as it is if i wanted. What i can gather with this system is if i have the monitor turn off with van running by having the green wired into reverse light feed it would automatically turn on the monitor and show image by going into reverse. Monitor as a auto power setting in the setup feature to turn on automatically when van is started.( i have it set like this now) by setting this feature off and having the green trigger wired in that would save me from manually turning monitor on.

bikergar

Shane

Jef's right, I thought that was a double throw switch, but it seems you don't need it.

If you are looking for reassurance I believe you are correct in your assumptions. If you hook up the green wire the monitor will come on
when you go into reverse, otherwise you can just turn it on manually.

gary

shanemac

Thanks...i think this is sinking in my thick skull now i kept thinking the rear camera is powered on and off via the green trigger(remember I'm thinking house hold appliance repair:hmmm:) I remember the manual saying the camera has a built in heater i was wondering how that would work if the camera was only powered for short times while in reverse...its clear as mud now:thumbup:

One advantage of mounting the toggle switch was it's less of a reach unless i mount the monitor lower...oh well.

Last edited:

bikergar

Shane

Fluf has rear windows that have unobstructed view most of the time so I use my camera as truly a backup camera. Having said that I have had two motor-homes that have had cameras. On the first one, due to longevity considerations, I intended to use it infrequently to check on my toad. It didn't take long to realize the value of full time operation. I now run it 100% of the time in my current motor-home because the camera will at times pick up vehicles that the mirrors don't. The mirrors are primary, camera secondary and it provides just a little more info as to what is happening around me.

gary

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Shane

Fluf has rear windows that have unobstructed view most of the time so I use my camera as truly a backup camera. Having said that I have had two motor-homes that have had cameras. On the first one, due to longevity considerations, I intended to use it infrequently to check on my toad. It didn't take long to realize the value of full time operation. I now run it 100% of the time in my current motor-home because the camera will at times pick up vehicles that the mirrors don't. The mirrors are primary, camera secondary and it provides just a little more info as to what is happening around me.

gary
You never know when the bike courier is riding you!

Thanks for solving a decision I was thinking about for my future camera.

shanemac

Hear is a night shot, that garage door is 16 feet wide to give a sense of size. In some sense i kinda wish the mounting bracket was a bit longer in over all length probably about 3-4 inches and a inch or so taller so the camera could be pointed downward more. The back of these vans are not straight up and down there is a pretty good curve so there is a compromise have the camera point more downward to see more of the bumper and less outward visibility .... i could move the bracket more forward but bracket will not sit very well..over all its not to bad.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm not a reversing camera fan, in general, but I am a fan of your - and Twistyroad's - installation, Shane. Nice work on your clean installation.

I don't think about backup cameras much, but when I do I always remember one that I saw in Kansas City, MO.

It was mounted on a Hummer H2 which was parked "backed into the parking space," rear bumper first.

The camera bracket was bent, smashed up against on a freshly damaged tree branch, which would have been out of camera field of vision and barely above the roof line of the H2. Unfortunate. By eyeballing it, I guessed that the next time the camera's used, driver will see a lot more "rear of the vehicle" and a lot less "behind the vehicle."

Anyone damage their back up camera yet?

-Jon

shanemac

Finished mounting bracket today over all I'm happy. My last post camera mount was just taped on roof i wanted to make sure i like that spot before i drill holes.:crazy:

Scary sight there

shanemac

Hear is my ground connection in seat base

and my positive connection on the consumer strip in seat base

Run the positive and negative wire in some snap on wire conduit through the supplied hole in seat base rubber floor mat will cover this.

Last edited:

Top Bottom