Need some ideas on phone mounts

GSWatson

2013 144
I’m not a fan of CarPlay, especially in its recent evolution. Having to rely on the screen to see the map is troublesome with my Pioneer head unit, as the screen is sometimes washed out at certain sun angles. Plus, I’m looking away from the road. And most frustrating, when CarPlay is engaged, the phone screen has only the turn-by-turn directions and not the map. It’s only I. The recent versions that the distances on those were updated as next turn approaches.

I’ve kept the phone paired through both Bluetooth and the USB without CarPlay. I use a magnetic mount with bottom supports (the phone tended to slide off without), and it fits in the same place as the above Ram mounts. I VHB’d with a screw backup for the heat. The phone is easy to see and reach, and keeps the vent free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Yeah, but now I need to repair my air vent and it's part of the entire dash. Thanks, Vic, for the metal pieces to repair this instead of replacing the entire dash plastic, I am going to stay away from anything that clips to my Sprinter vents from now on.

marklg

I bolted two RAM mounts to the grill on the top of the dash in my T1N. There is no speaker under it, and I used big washers below to support the weight. They have stuck there just fine for two years.

You can always get a replacement plastic piece including the grill, P/N 9016894308 for mine, if you want to return it to stock. It snaps in and out pretty easily.

ram_1.jpg

ram_2.jpg

ram_3.jpg

Regards,

Mark

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I bolted two RAM mounts to the grill
Went for the newest Elevation Dock for my dash. I have had the original there since the start, big hefty base, adhesive mount, but the iPhone X was too big for the original one, so they went to this design that allows me to put any lightning device in front of me. I think it will take an iPad.

Uses micro-suckers on the bottom so it holds well, though the new one has let go in a couple of emergency stops. Guess it's not as heavy as the old one. If the adhesive ever gets dirty just wash it under clean water and it's new again. Doesn't leave any evidence it was ever attached when it's removed.

IMG_8449.jpg

-Randy

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I use the Nitize Steelie magnetic mount with the vet clip in my T1N. I epoxied the magnet to the clip of an otterbox clip in for the case to snap into. I’ve been using this basic setup for 3 or 4 years and just keep transferring the magnet from case to case

In general, magnet mounts are great and super handy, unless you cut a lot of steel and iron.

I keep the case mount attached to the magnetic mount when I’m not driving because I got tired of constantly having to remove ferrous filings and slivers from the magnet every time I put my phone down at work

Attachments

GSWatson

2013 144
I never liked the Steelies for that reason, and because it has the little bit that sticks out in the case.

My Scosche has a thin metal plate inside my Otterbox case, and the magnet is on the mount, so my phone never sticks to errant metal, and nothing sticks out from the case to catch when sliding in and out of my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn182

How sturdy or fixed in space so to speak is the phone with this set up. I am trying to decide between this and the proclip phone mount.
I don't want my phone wobbling around or moving much when I go to tap on the screen.

I use that exact setup in my Cessna plane and just a suction cup mount...the Ram Mount are and X Grip is rock sokid

marklg

I use that exact setup in my Cessna plane and just a suction cup mount...the Ram Mount are and X Grip is rock sokid
Mine too. Just great after three years now.

Regards,

Mark

ECU

I use the Steelie but hate the magnet on the back of my phone. It picks up stuff.
I created a cradle for my phone and attach the magnet to that. Thus my phone can rotate easily.
I made the cradle out of plastic that I can bend with a heat gun. it is just tight enough to retain the phone.
Since I am in and out a lot, having a phone that I can just grab to remove is best. No lock or harness.
As my phone and radio have improved over the years, I tend to keep my phone in a pocket most of the time.

Recently I've had problems with my phone doing all sorts of stuff while in my pocket and couldn't find why. Apparently, my nipple has been choosing things on the phone. I was making boob calls.

Top Bottom