Flooring: Bedrug Vanrug Cargo Mat

Anyone have experience / feedback using this product as flooring in a van build? Manufacturer gives it an R-4 rating. It's caught my eye since the bottom has matching ribs to fit snug into the van floor. Not sure how soft it is, but wondering if it would be firm enough to create a flat stable surface to attaching cabinets, bed and other items too if I don't provide additional flooring. Additionally, if I did want to put flooring, carpet or plywood (split seem in the middle of the cargo area) on top I'm thinking there would be no sagging or any areas prone to being depressed.

Kirk

I have a Vanrug in my van and like it a lot. However, my use case may be different that yours.

I have it laid down on top of the stock vinyl flooring. I like that it adds some nice padding and softness, but allows me to remove it quickly and easily to hose it off when it gets dirty (van is used for lots of mountain bike trips).

I do have my 80/20 cabinet on top of it, but my cabinet is setup to easily come in and out of the van, so that i can clip the bench seat in place when there is more than 2 of us in the van (I made some small cuts in the rug to allow allow flaps to open and provide access to the seat clips).

So for my use it works excellent, however If I were putting in permanent cabinets, I would put those in first and then cut the rug to fit around it instead of placing the cabinets on top of it (which is what I did for the permanent cubbies under the bed area.

JFloFoto

I also have it and agree with Kirk. I did not set anything on top of mine but rather cut it out and mounted directly to the OEM floor. I don't feel it is strong enough for that and will eventually compress. See attached picture. Other than that, I highly recommended it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zipperje

I floored my van with it, in conjunction with rattletrap and closed cell foam under the stock plywood. They sold me a piece that I cut to fit. It's pretty easy to cut if you have a template (I used the OEM plywood floor and trimmed to fit in place). It works great for noise reduction and is comfortable enough on bare feet. I am overall pleased with it after 30,000 miles. Pine needles stick to it like crazy though.

FYI I also bought the stock wheel well covers from dealer parts counter and I like them a lot too for noise reduction, with the steel wheel well covered in rattle trap.

Not sure if it's durable enough to be considered permanent or if I will need to install a new piece in a few years. Durability issue I've struggled with is edge protection of cut edges on the Bedrug product. I cut out a removable rectangle to occasionally install the Crew van bench seat. This piece is in the floor when camping and the "butt joints" are right in the middle of floor with a lot of foot traffic. Have not figured out a good way to protect the cut edges from surface delamination along this cut edge and other cut edges that are exposed to foot traffic. Duct tape sticks pretty well to BedRug and has been my temporary solution to relieve the tripping hazard where the top fuzz layer is curling up along these edges.

zipperje

On further review I don't remember which Bedrug/Vanrug mat I bought, but it's definitely not the same as the photo by JFloFoto. The Bedrug I used is about 5/8 inch of closed cell foam surfaced with about 1/16 inch of the charcoal gray fuzz. The closed cell foam was not ribbed on the bottom for the van floor grooves, so I put it down atop the OEM plywood. They shipped me a giant piece that I cut to fit. As noted above, the gray fuzz delaminates from the foam if edges are left exposed to scuffing.

dynaco1

Demp7

You say, "has matching ribs to fit snug into the van floor".

I call "BS". Like zipperje, I had a negative experience.

The picture in the ads will not match the product you will receive. The product I received was extremely stiff foam....more like a plastic sponge was fuzz on top. It was flat on the bottom and did not match the steel ribs on the floor of the van.

The package is over-sized freight and will cost you more for return freight than you pay for the mat. I fought with the distributor and with American Express to obtain a full refund. It took months.

Unless you have a local distributor, where you can inspect prior to purchase, I would suggest you avoid this product.

Last edited:

Top Bottom