question about front crankshaft seal leaking and dealer issues

Hi. Have a 2006 T1N Dodge 3500, 2.7L, I5, OM647 turbo diesel motor.

I viewed the camera myself today at an independent MB specialty garage that showed the crankshaft seal leaking (90% probability) - nasty little pressure leak.

I bought this Sprinter 11/15/17 from a fellow who recently had his MB dealer replace the "shock absorber" (aka crank pulley) MB 647 030 01 03 on 10/1/17. Just before I closed on it, the seller also replaced the serp belt.

I had the same MB do a pre-purchase inspection, and it was not leaking, which I assume to be correct. The seller only drove it about 350 miles between replacing the pulley and selling it to me. I noticed the leak in early January, after driving it about 1,500 miles, and I'm about 1,500 miles away from the MB that did the work.

Here is the issue and I'm no mechanic, but I read what I believe to be the correct service manual, and starting on page 9-53 under engine, it clearly says "(7) Replace front crankshaft seal" and in bold: "NOTE: Front crankshaft seal must be replaced before installing the belt pulley/vibration damper."

I don't know why yet, but the MB elected NOT to replace the seal, and now I'm sitting on a nasty leak as a result of what appears to me to be a simple matter of negligence. But for their inaction of replacing the seal, I would have no leak. I just seems this way to me.

I'm getting another "diagnosis" from a MB where I live, because the MB that did the work (1,500 miles from me) said they would honor their 2 year parts/labor warranty at any MB dealer. I have not informed the MB that did the work that I believe they were negligent in not replacing the part required by the service manual. I want to get MB where I live to confirm the leak diagnosis, before approaching the MB dealer 1,500 miles away to reimburse me (or my local MB dealer). I just want it fixed.

What do you all think? Should the MB that elected to ignore the service manual pay for this seal to be replaced now to stop the leak?

Any advice is appreciated. I don't know enough about cars, but I am a general contractor, so I understand adherence to scope and specifications.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

First off!
Work done prior to your acquisition of the van is generally not warranty transferable unless it was in writing.
Yes the seal should have been replaced, its folly not to !
However
I have had a "brains trust" with some customers that don't want to incur the added cost of $25 for the parts etc !

I suggest your get someone to simply change the seal, & forget trying to get a shop 1500 miles away to cover the cost!
Labor is 2,5 hours. a seal at $20 and a new fixing bolt is $15,90.
A hiding to nothing & frustrations trying to get monetary relief from a shop on a vehicle that has changed hands .
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Greetings, please note I am not an attorney or licensed legal professional and the following is not to be construed, in any manner whatsoever, as a legal advice.

IMHO, the referenced service manual notes "Replace" not "Re-install" seal. And, would be my argument for the dealer to honor repair warranty.

In the future, always request...insist old parts be returned in the new part box.

Good luck and please keep the form advised of your success?

Nox

Attachments

They said they would cover it, even given that the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. I was surprise. I had no idea what it cost or what was involved. Thanks for the figures. I also wonder if they simply didn’t have the tool, and because of that and the time to get the tool from Germany, they just blew it off.

I actually have their invoice, and there is no notation that they recommended something that the owner declined, which seems to be their normal procedure. It’s just good business on the dealers part to know when the owners do something foolish.

I know the dealers hate servicing sprinters, but they should do it correctly, Or not at all

D

Deleted member 50714

Dennis is correct, depending possession of a written warranty, it may be less frustrating to pay to have the seal replaced.

D

Deleted member 50714

A 12-year-old vehicle? I bet the front crankshaft seal was as brittle as the vagina of a 80-year-old cloistered Nun

A 12-year-old vehicle? I bet the front crankshaft seal was as brittle as the vagina of a 80-year-old cloistered Nun
Cant speak for the nun, but The dealers invoice also noted clearly that the pulley wheel and completely broken apart. The seller told me it was a hell of a racket. This just adds to my frustration that they didn’t replace the part. This is an on economic matter to pursue formally, but I will give them the chance to correct their error It’s not as if the insane amount of inconvenience I’ve endured is free, but all I’m asking them to do is reimburse me for the Mercedes-Benz Bill to do their work

D

Deleted member 50714

Cant speak for the nun, but The dealers invoice also noted clearly that the pulley wheel and completely broken apart. The seller told me it was a hell of a racket. This just adds to my frustration that they didn’t replace the part. This is an on economic matter to pursue formally, but I will give them the chance to correct their error It’s not as if the insane amount of inconvenience I’ve endured is free, but all I’m asking them to do is reimburse me for the Mercedes-Benz Bill to do their work
If you have the time and patience, I encourage you to pursue a remedy. Equipped with the proper tools and knowledge it shouldn't take the dealer long.

lindenengineering

When the balancer member detaches itself from the main hub, the ring dances about on the separated part giving you the jingle bell rock sound! The seal is left unscathed.

The only time I have seen the seal torn up is when clumsy hands have been at work !
If you can get the last shop to cover the work then all power to you.
Best of luck Dennis

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
Just had my harmonic balancer replaced yesterday at 288,700 miles. Caught it on day 3 of suspicious vibration. Now the crank seal is leaking pretty bad. Going back in the shop tommorow for new seal bolt and washer. With that kinda of miles do you think it was worn out or mechanic error?

lindenengineering

Please look at your (R/0 & invoicing ) and see if a new crank seal was specified on the ticket .
If so was it actually replaced--or not !

Was it a genuine crank seal or NOT if replaced?
Remember a genuine seal has a distinctive form and is garter "springless"!
Many aftermarket seals are general auto related and being universal and have a garter spring.

This spring can fall off during installation activities and cause leakage. Hence the reason for the MB unique seal.

The other issue is the actual installation itself.
The case having no location edge relies on accurate placing of the seal to prevent leakage.
Hence all of these questionable areas need to investigated to establish the cause.
All the best
Dennis

Top Bottom