How do I remove the rear door magnets?

scooterho

Am in the process of doing a super fussy exterior cleaning job. Would like to remove the rear door magnets and clean behind them. I can see a screw behind the magnet, but I can't quite figure out how to remove the magnet. I tried slipping a screw driver behind and pulling but, without knowing what I was doing, I didn't want to pull to hard. Couldn't find anything using the search function (but that could just be me!).

312 diesel (closed)

There are 2 allen bolts straight through the magnet, they simply unscrew. There is a plate inside the door with 2 captives, and it will drop down if you don't catch it. The striker plates on the side are held by a U shaped clamp hidden in the rubber block.

scooterho

I should have been more specific. The magnets I want to remove are the ones on the outside of the van, not the ones on the actual doors.

312 diesel (closed)

They are just steel plates. If you look at the rubber there is a slot. In the slot sits a U shaped plate which engages on a stud on the back of the plate. You squeeze the horseshoe down or up depending on how its been installed. Once that is off you'll se a screw that holds the rubber onto a plastic plug held in the body.

denisec

2005 Sprinter 2500 Hi-Top 158, 300K+mi
if it is really this simple, 312 diesel, i will light a candle for you. off to the parts van!

Top Bottom