Tire Size 285/75/R16 For 4x4

@Diesel_Seva I really like the look of those tires in your first set of photos. You mentioned they were "too wide". Which width is correct then? I want the height and tread you have there, but want to get more than 40k out of them if possible. Thanks!

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
I’m running 285/75-16 on stock steelies with 14mm spacers and it makes the van look great. Had to do some plastic trimming up front to eliminate rub. Running BFG A/T

I have a worn 255/85-16 stuffed in the spare tire location under van

So that's the equivalent of a 32.5" tire. Forgive me for not seeing this in any other thread, but won't that throw off the sensors?

Farfrumwork

255/85/16 ST MAXX - just shy of 33"

Mounted on stock steels, no spacers, fits in the stock spare location (with some wrestling)

They do not affect sensors

I doubt you'll get 40k out of those tires though. I missed the initial rotation which screwed mine up a bit in the first 13kmi, but I got ~25kmi and they are shot. Maybe ~30k if you keep on rotations better. I'll be getting another set this spring.

Great off-road tire though. And pretty decent in snow. (I mounted a set of studded Hakka LT3 this winter (235/85/16 - ~32")- insane traction in any winter conditions)

Medicine Bow Camp-correct.jpgvan leveling.jpg

Nice signature Joe in Estes (CO I assume).... Very dude like

255/85/16 ST MAXX - just shy of 33"

Mounted on stock steels, no spacers, fits in the stock spare location (with some wrestling)

They do not affect sensors

I doubt you'll get 40k out of those tires though. I missed the initial rotation which screwed mine up a bit in the first 13kmi, but I got ~25kmi and they are shot. Maybe ~30k if you keep on rotations better. I'll be getting another set this spring.

Great off-road tire though. And pretty decent in snow. (I mounted a set of studded Hakka LT3 this winter (235/85/16 - ~32")- insane traction in any winter conditions)

View attachment 210136View attachment 210137

Nice signature Joe in Estes (CO I assume).... Very dude like
Appreciate the photos! I just ordered some 265/75r16 Nokian Outpost AT's. These photos are great, btw. yep, CO. Love it here. Also, very dude.

OffroadHamster

Data Point: Ive got north of 40K on my Falken wildpeak AT3Ws (285/75R17) Not running stock wheels obviously, but you can get them in 16" fitments 265/75 and 285/75.

Ill probably get the better of the 55K mile treadwear warranty that the falkens have. Mine have stood up to some pretty heinous abuse (wheeling in the glass range, eastern escarpment of the sierra, UT desert, Lassen area and Colorado among others).

I am probably going to move to a slightly less aggressive tire (maybe falken Rubitrek) when these are up for the improved noise performance on road.

Farfrumwork

^^ I've got my eyes out for another set of steels so I can mount some more hwy-ish tires (less aggressive than the ST's) for longer road trips that don't include off road excursions.. Thinking decent all seasons, maybe a light-AT style. I'll keep the ST's on most of the time as we are almost always on dirt with CO/WY/UT camping trips.

Then I'll have three sets of wheels tires for the van. haha

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Have had three sets of the st’s in 255/85/16. Awesome in ice and snow, but they require extremely strict rotations at 5k. I’d usually replace at 25k from road noise. Every set also pulled to the right.

I’m now on 285/75/16 Toyo at3. Much more quiet, still good in the snow, at least on par with the coopers, so far great off-road, but it’s def not as burly of a casing as the coopers. Overall quite happy with the tire.

Next tire I’m going to try is the new Cooper Rugged Trek if they get more sizes.

wooteroni

Have had three sets of the st’s in 255/85/16. Awesome in ice and snow, but they require extremely strict rotations at 5k. I’d usually replace at 25k from road noise. Every set also pulled to the right.

I’m now on 285/75/16 Toyo at3. Much more quiet, still good in the snow, at least on par with the coopers, so far great off-road, but it’s def not as burly of a casing as the coopers. Overall quite happy with the tire.

Next tire I’m going to try is the new Cooper Rugged Trek if they get more sizes.
Since the st's required extremely strict rotation, what was that protocol? (Which tires went where during the rotation)

Thanks for your input!

The wife and I love my van sooo much! I can't praise the tire choice enough.... seriously, made easy work of loong soft beaches in baja.. over steep dunes. Crawled around on sharp lava rock and loose cobble stone. Aired down to 20 psi and everything was great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I’m looking to upgrade tires and found this post in the search section. How were the tires in the road? Also are you on a stock suspension? I’m looking to do vancompass stage 1 along with tires. Really hoping to make it more comfortable on and off the road

I’m looking to upgrade tires and found this post in the search section. How were the tires in the road? Also are you on a stock suspension? I’m looking to do vancompass stage 1 along with tires. Really hoping to make it more comfortable on and off the road
these MTs are quite a bit louder on-road in comparison to the stock tires.. but my vehicle before the van was a big angry old cummins with straight pipe exhaust so this is still significantly more quiet.

Top Bottom