BEWARE CCV - Colorado Camper Van Customer Experience

OffroadHamster

For everyone else interested...Here are a couple I have handy. I have pictures of the rest somewhere..

Good and bad, you can see some of the sloppy trim work (headliner cut too short near control panel). Overall good placement for easy access however.

Corners tearing because angle iron is too long

Poorly sealed canvass

3 screws but none of them held. Canvass pulling at top

Poorly sealed hole that leaked. Rusted metal shavings

Stained headliner

awning bracket and awning that wont close. Rattles while driving and echoes down the B Pillar

Thanks for those pictures. Truly amazing how much they charge for that quality of work. They do make a good product, but not an acceptable fit and finish. I hope all upfitter are paying attention to these forums.

JFloFoto

That's about par for the course at CCV. I didn't get their top, but had them do some interior work like installing electrical, custom cabinets, windows, interior finish, seats, etc. Had to adjust and correct almost everything including tightening things coming loose, failed electrical connections, incorrect and poorly routed wiring, and the list goes on. I didn't bother to take it back because I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with the results and eventually just figured it out myself. I would definitely do everything myself and subcontract the work outside my skill set the next time around.

I learned that building out your van is not rocket science. With the help of this forum, google, and YouTube, you can pretty much do it yourself for 30-50% of what an 'upfitter' charges (probably less if you're good and have the right tools).

sprinterPaul

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ok, so im not the only person who thinks its horrible. I was somewhat worried that I was being an overly finicky engineering type

No you are not being over finicky. Very disappointing to see. Hopefully you get it sorted with them. It's shame. The rest of the rig is awesome (your work).

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
Yikes. I think that I'd just really evaluate why I'd want a poptop and then go with a high top.

OffroadHamster

High top was not an option for us. My wife wanted a pop up travel trailer or an rv. I didn’t want to tow and wanted to be able to get off the beaten path. Pop top scratched her tent trailer itch. Also allows us to comfortable sleep 4 while having the space we need for all the kid/baby stuff. We could have made a 170 high roof work but I wanted the maneuverability and breakover of the 144. Hence pop top.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I'll try to hit on a few of the questions I see here, at least from my point of view.
First, "doing it differently" would be giving CCV AND yourself enough time to make sure everything is done right. I would plan to show up after the alloted 2 weeks, have a room booked in locally (in Loveland, not a bad little town) and a rental car to get around. Go to the shop; if they are still working on your van, ask when they expect to be done. I would guess the answer will be "today by closing" (what I got). At that point, tell them you'll be back tomorrow at noon to inspect, and politely ask that it be cleaned up and ready. Then go find some good food and beer (Grimm Brothers for German style brews;) Another good approach would be to call the day your van is supposed to be ready and tell them you can't pick it up for several days. Either way, allow yourself, and CCV more time. And by all means allow your self AT LEAST one day to go test drive the work and take a real close look at it. And a day for them to correct any mistakes or fully document what needs to be done.
BOTTOM LINE: Don't leave until you are completely sure everything is done to your satisfaction. As mentioned above in both ORH's and my posts, we scheduled ourselves tightly assuming that all would be right and we'd leave the shop under a rainbow held up by unicorns. In my case, Derek asked me to come back in a few hours. My buddy took me to Grimm bros and I came back with beer goggles... bad idea! And I had to be back in SoCal in 3 days, 'nuther bad idea.

Roadtripr, et al: Realize that Slammit is CCV's rep and it's not his first rodeo. He knows Derek and all the folks at the shop, knows exactly what to ask and look for and how to get everything done right. Also, he does most of the finish work, and I will give him a big nod for detail, he's been doing vans a long time. So yeah, his stuff will look good!

There used to be a guy named Scott here in SoCal that reportedly did warranty work for CCV here, I'm working on tracking him down. There's also a rumor of another pop top company getting started with a focus on large format (Sprinter, Transit, Promaster) vans. I'm working on tracking them down as well. Feel free to DM me if you want to be kept up to date.

One last thing: We've all known folks who have a good product but terrible business acumen. They manage to bumble along in spite of themselves because the product design is good, and they are usually great people. If you ever meet Derek, you'll have a hard time not liking the guy. personally, I'd like to hang out with him on an extended trip, beer drinking session, or just working with him. That's why I would go CCV again, unless that other company "pops" up (sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Hope everyone (you too Derek) has a great weekend! I'm gonna go back to working on my van, riding my mountain bike, and drinking beer. Maybe even in that order!

Anyone whom has booked a top through me please let me know if there are any issues. I take pride in what I do and do everything in my power possible to make my customers happy. If I refer a customer to CCV and there is a problem I will take care of it on their behalf if you bring the van to me as I do rep their tops. I care about what I do have the excellent references to show it, but yes I do things differently, that is why I starting building vans as a hobby because I did not see anyone doing things the way I like them done. I also feel if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself as others mention in this thread, but it might take you more than a few vans to get it down so this isn't a solution for everyone unless you are like me and go through cars/vans like water. :smirk: So if anyone reading this thread needs assistance on something they had done by CCV and you had me convince you to use CCV (or not) I am glad to help. I hope to think those who have talked to me know how out of the way I have gone giving free advice and tech support with no personal gain involved shows that I go way beyond any other. I do love the CCV tops...but yes it's a fair statement that they get a bit rushed at times and you need to pay way better attention to the details...I have had 6 tops done by them...mostly done pretty well, some needed some extra attention...but this is also why I started doing things the way I do...I want things done a certain way and building custom cars for over 30 years I am used to modifying stuff to my liking and its normal regardless of the fabricator for the most part. Rarely do I find anything 100% exactly the way I want it from any fabricator or builder in the 40+ car/van projects I have done for myself personally. Usually if perfect I also paid for it as well. (30k for a basic paint job car for example) Even with my very talented welder whom does some very specialized work for me I still do a ton of work after he is finished to get things just right. You can't imagine how much work is involved in some things that look so simple to do. My customers never know nor do they need too. Nothing is turn key, building a van isn't a reality TV car show...it is what they don't show you, it takes 100's if not thousands of hours to finish a full build. This is what my services are for...to make sure everything is dialed and customers have a good experience before, during, and after their build, take care of all the details.

If you have an issue with CCV work, live in So Cal and can't get a resolution:

PM me your phone number or reach out to me via phone so I can understand how to help an open issue (As you expect I would actually have to have your van to address the issue at my shop, which is why I mention So Cal) I posted this not for building your van...I am plenty busy...but specifically for anyone whom I may have talked to and booked work at CCV and feels they have not been taken care of that I am here to help directly hands on.

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

No, except I may never buy another MB product again. My van went into limp mode in Breckenridge and I made it to Silverthorne before it shut down on me. Took me a couple days to get it down to the Denver area, and 5 days to get it sorted out at which point I was a day past when I was supposed to return home. I never made it to CCV.

Derek was accommodating, agreeing to take the van in any day I could get it there, unfortunately I never made it. He is going to ship me a new bracket for my awning

Korey - We spoke when I was shopping vans. I was looking for a High top but was torn between that and a pop top. You hooked me up with your contact Ilan at Keyes European as they had a 4X4 Passenger van they were trying to move. I am not sure if you remember me. You convinced me of the merit of a pop-top based on usability and resale and how much better the CCV is than the SMB (which I still fully agree with). You also offered to help me with a shipper if I wanted to ship the van rather than drive it. Derek has been responsive recently but is a lengthy drive from me. My biggest complaint is really the awning. I can handle the other issues without too much heartache. In the event that a new bracket does not resolve my issue (which I am not sure it will) do you have any capacity to fabricate me a new bracket with modified geometry to account for the particular hole placement on my van?

Also, any suggestions on removing the lap sealant that CCV uses before I re-seal the top?

lindenengineering

No, except I may never buy another MB product again. My van went into limp mode in Breckenridge and I made it to Silverthorne before it shut down on me. Took me a couple days to get it down to the Denver area, and 5 days to get it sorted out at which point I was a day past when I was supposed to return home. I never made it to CCV.

Derek was accommodating, agreeing to take the van in any day I could get it there, unfortunately I never made it. He is going to ship me a new bracket for my awning

Korey - We spoke when I was shopping vans. I was looking for a High top but was torn between that and a pop top. You hooked me up with your contact Ilan at Keyes European as they had a 4X4 Passenger van they were trying to move. I am not sure if you remember me. You convinced me of the merit of a pop-top based on usability and resale and how much better the CCV is than the SMB (which I still fully agree with). You also offered to help me with a shipper if I wanted to ship the van rather than drive it. Derek has been responsive recently but is a lengthy drive from me. My biggest complaint is really the awning. I can handle the other issues without too much heartache. In the event that a new bracket does not resolve my issue (which I am not sure it will) do you have any capacity to fabricate me a new bracket with modified geometry to account for the particular hole placement on my van?

Also, any suggestions on removing the lap sealant that CCV uses before I re-seal the top?
I am curious what was the problem with the van and to make you not want to purchase another MB product.
Again curious as to what was the problem that caused it to go into limp mode?
Dennis

OffroadHamster

Never again is probably a bit of hyperbole as I own a couple MB's and like the brand, just had a frustrating week.

In short I dont know. Not only did it go into limp mode, it finally stalled and then refused to start. Initially it appeared to be related to parking and lane keep assist electronics. The shop didnt seem to have a clue what they were doing and they threw parts at if for a few days. A couple sensors, then EGR Valve, EGR cooler, swirl flap actuator, fuse block, a couple more sensors, an injector and a new harness of some sort.

So what was actually wrong?? My guess is lane keep electronics as some of that was the last thing they worked on. My frustration comes from them working on things without any clear reason for doing so. Ive opened a complaint with MB over the whole thing which if experience serves will go exactly nowhere. Oh well....

lindenengineering

Never again is probably a bit of hyperbole as I own a couple MB's and like the brand, just had a frustrating week.

In short I dont know. Not only did it go into limp mode, it finally stalled and then refused to start. Initially it appeared to be related to parking and lane keep assist electronics. The shop didnt seem to have a clue what they were doing and they threw parts at if for a few days. A couple sensors, then EGR Valve, EGR cooler, swirl flap actuator, fuse block, a couple more sensors, an injector and a new harness of some sort.

So what was actually wrong?? My guess is lane keep electronics as some of that was the last thing they worked on. My frustration comes from them working on things without any clear reason for doing so. Ive opened a complaint with MB over the whole thing which if experience serves will go exactly nowhere. Oh well....
OK I can understand the frustration, these van can throw you some "wobblers" at times when having a go at errant electronic "manifestations'!
Was this dealer you sent it to? Curious!
I bet MB get quite a few customer complaints whether valid of not.
Often I reckon they get tossed into bin #13 at times.
By the way if you think that was bad I do have a tale of woe with a diesel Promaster transmission -Now that did go sideways in a hurry and that even baffled the factory.:hmmm:

Dennis

OffroadHamster

OK I can understand the frustration, these van can throw you some "wobblers" at times when having a go at errant electronic "manifestations'!
Was this dealer you sent it to? Curious!
I bet MB get quite a few customer complaints whether valid of not.
Often I reckon they get tossed into bin #13 at times.
By the way if you think that was bad I do have a tale of woe with a diesel Promaster transmission -Now that did go sideways in a hurry and that even baffled the factory.:hmmm:

Dennis
Yes, it was a dealer, although one not conversant with sprinters apparently. I am no stranger to things going wrong with vehicles, and as an engineer I get that just because mine broke, doesnt mean the product is bad or the brand is bad. No quality system is perfect and you will always have failures. The more robust the quality system the fewer the number of failures but the larger the scope of the individual failures when they happen. Basically most people will have zero problems, and a couple people with have huge problems. Its an extension of chaos theory (well complexity theory, which is an extension of chaos theory) :bash:

Ive been buying/selling/trading and modding vehicles for close to 20 years. Ive had vehicles have repeated catastrophic problems, and vehicles run flawlessly despite my neglect and abuse. To date, I am going to call the van a reliable vehicle, though I'm just anxious enough to knock on my desk when I type that.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Wait until it tries to kill you or others. I was passing cars on a two lane road and had just completed the pass when the 08 Sprinter went into LHM as I returned to my lane. If it had done that a minute before the result might have been an accident. That was when I decided to sell the vehicle. In my case it was a failed EGR valve. Did not want a vehicle that does that.

lindenengineering

Hmm well there are four dealers in the greater Metro .
Two on the periphery around the conurbation do Sprinters!
One in town refuses to fix them=MB cars only!
The other is between Denver & Ft Collins, seemingly Sprinter dabblers from my experiences.
Dennis

DirtDogg

Just curious, how did you repair the canvas? I think CCV, Sportsmobile and other van pop up companies could learn a few things from Four Wheel Campers. They have being making pop up campers for a long time and they have got the pop up materials down. Prior to the Sprinter, I had two FWCs. My last one was a 2015. It had no issues with the pop up material which was more of a light weight vinyl material but it was extremely durable when I recently sold it prior to getting the van.

Top Bottom