Thinking of buying a 2005 MB Cruiser 221

Cliff

I have looked at lots of the various types, Road Trek, Pleasure Way etc. But found a 2005 MB Cruiser 221. 18,000 miles on it. Looks to be in good shape, condition. Priced at $39,900 which is a little higher than NADA.

So, what is the good, bad and ugly of these? Should I be concerned that they are not made anymore? I don't know much about diesels, so what should I be on the look out for? The floorplan, design, etc fits what we will need it for, but what have others experienced?

One thing, the dealer isn't local to me. I found it while traveling on business in a Neighboring state. The dealer is not large and only has used RVs on his lot. He has been there since 1977 (checked it with the state licensing).

Any help appreciated.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Cliff,

AquaPuttana listed the things to check on a used Sprinter. As for checking out the "house aspect" of the MB Cruiser, look at it the way you look at buying a house. Mildew, leaks, do things (pump, drains, valves, electrical, stove furnace, etc.) function correctly. Are the LP sensor and CO detector working. Check for spongy or warped floors or panels (inside cupboards an other access areas).

Nevertheles, it's probably not worth what he's asking. Offer substantially less (having cash or financing already arranged) and bargain, but only after you have convinced yourself it's in decent condition.

PeteInLongBeach

Cliff,
I have a 2004 MB Cruiser. As previously mentioned, general advice on buying a Sprinter can be found on the forum. As far as the Forest River house stuff, I've been all over mine and haven't found any significant weak areas that are particular to the MB Cruiser. There can be minor fit & finish issues, but I haven't found anything falling apart or failing prematurely. Make sure you can adjust the driver seat comfortably, as the kitchen module restricts rearward adjustment somewhat. Also, make sure the hinges and latches for the trunk doors are secure and not loose or stripped (I've seen 1 that had a loose hinge). Since there is no integrated storage included for the sewer drain hose, I installed one of the white hose carriers (Camping World) on the right side trunk floor. This works perfectly for a 10 foot hose, costs almost nothing, and keeps the hose out of the way and isolated.

The big advantages of this coach include the full dry bath in back, and the large holding tanks, which are unique among Sprinter van conversions. The 2005 might also have a 2nd propane tank (1 for generator, 1 for appliances & other utilities), which would be very nice. Overall, it's quite a good layout and I've been enjoying mine. 25 mpg too!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

Flamingo

I bought my 2003 M-B Cruiser at the end of 2007. I absolutely love it. I've been in 11 states thus far. Usually it is just me driving, but sometimes my husband goes along too. This weekend he has it up at a private lake where he and his son are fishing. He called awhile ago and said how much he loved the motor home. He has it plugged into electric, turned on the air conditioner and took a nap. Planned to watch a little TV or a movie, then go back out fishing. It is a perfect vehicle for traveling, tailgating, etc. The rear walk-in shower is wonderful - I never have to use a yucky campground shower house. Parking it and driving it are wonderful. I'm sad though because we have decided to sell our home and buy a 40 foot diesel pusher and become full-time RVers. That means we will have to sell our M-B Cruiser soon. Maybe I can convince hubby to tow it instead of my Honda CRV.

FamilySprinter

We have a 2005 MB Cruiser and really like ours. I was pleasantly surprised at the great mileage… 26 MPG on a recent trip from IL to TX. It drives and gets better MPG than my SUV. Unfortunately, I have a family of 6 so we are looking to upgrade to a larger one. Email me at NEXTCHASE@GMAIL.COM if anyone looking for one with only 11,000 miles and has been garaged. The original plastic cover is still on the floor and it's basically brand new. We have not tried to camp in it because it couldn't fit the whole family.

Last edited:

Top Bottom