what is the best brand differential fluid

MIRI

hi guys my differential fluid change is come what is good brand of product
75w140 or 85w 140 is recomm.and what brand thnx,how muche go in i read 1.8 liter so 2 bottle of quart.
thnx

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The Mopar bottled fluid is a German sourced Shell Spirax MB, straight 90 weight, GL-5 hypoid gear oil.

And for those who rightfully worry about MB approval specs- it is a 235.6 lube. Doktor A

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

The '03 service manual recommends 75w140 synthetic. I used Mobil 1's version for mine. I figured since this manual also strongly recommends Mobil 1's 0w40 engine oil, which most agree is best for the T1N, I'd go for their differential fluid recommendation as well.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
The strangest thing, ask 3 dealers, get three answers....

I called Dodge and asked them about their fluid, Mopar 4874469 ($31.00 per qt)this is a 75/140 weight, and then the parts guy told me I needed a limited slip diff additive part # 4318060AB. ($7.67) so it would be $70.00 for all 3 bottles...

I then call 2 Benz Dealers.

First tells me their fluid for this vehicle is 80/90 weight, and no additive required like what Dodge stated. They claimed they had it in OEM grey MB bottles, ($16.00 / qt)

I called a second dealer MB also in town, and he told me they use Mobil1 85/90

So there we go, 3 folks, 3 different answers....this crap drives me nuts! Why cant everyone be on the same page and recommend the correct fluid??? I know 235.0 MB is speck, and the 04 manual states the mopar one at the top, yet we have 2 other oils recommended too!

I changed my diff oil 8K miles ago, and now I feel a weird mini slip when warm, only from a complete stand still, and was hoping to change the oil to rectify the problem.

I used German made Lubro Moly GL5 SAE 75W-90 API GL5; MIL-L-2105 C/D.

The only specs on what I used that is different from the manual is that the manual states a MIL-L-2105 E rather then a C/D???

Am I wasting my time changing my fluid again?

I wish I knew what to use?? Too many answers from many different "experts" leaves me very confused!:thinking:

Am I wasting my time changing my fluid again?

I wish I knew what to use?? Too many answers from many different "experts" leaves me very confused!:thinking:
We do love discussing oils don't we?

I am not an expert.

Just checking a few of the BEVO MB 235.xx lists it appears that unlike the 236.xx transmission fluid which is backward compatible within the 236.1x series regardless of the suffix number after the dot, the 235 series is all over the shop so the number after the dot is critical. I went to the on-line 2006 operator manual figuring that was the last NAFTA T1N offered. (and it was 1/2 the file size for download.) It lists 235.0 for the rear end. It may not be the absolute best oil in everyone's mind for a TIN rear end, but that spec number certainly should be OK for normal service. I haven't seen any recalls regarding rear fluid type. If your fluid meets the 235.0 spec and you are not under severe service I would not worry about it. FWIW.

I have a slip or bump which I feel in my 2004 T1N 2500 very occassionaly. I haven't been able to narrow it down and it hasn't changed over the years. I'm told the fuel tanks have no baffles, or maybe very few? Until I find something different to change my mind, I attribute my slip/bump feeling to fuel sloshing in that long tank. YMMV. vic

Both of the specs mentioned are 85w-90

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.0_en.html
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.6_en.html

Last edited:

A duplicate post to help get the word out. Mobil Delvac is not commonly found in auto parts houses or big box stores.

General information for USA owners.

Our local Camping World has Mobil Delvac™ Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 on the shelves. It has MB235.8 on the label which is listed in BEVO as should be used for our Sprinter differentials. Price was 10 bucks and change per quart.

:2cents: vic
Added: I'm not certain that even Camping World stocks the MB approved Mobil Delvac 75w-90 anymore.

Dennis recommends this. :thumbup::thumbup:
Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil and then it will be like a Tacoma [simple].
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-104361-Lubricant-Gear/40905568
Dun Dun and Done
Dennis
I have spoken directly to both Mobil and Valvoline specifying the appropriate BEVO list numbers.
Both companies ensured me that their product exceeds the MB spec and quoted me on line their specs to prove it
Dennis

The approved Mobil Delvac ($$$)
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Delvac-Gear-75W90-112811/dp/B007WVI5G6

2 quarts are needed for a change.

Last edited:
We do love discussing oils don't we?

I have a slip or bump which I feel in my 2004 T1N 2500 very occassionaly. I haven't been able to narrow it down and it hasn't changed over the years. I'm told the fuel tanks have no baffles, or maybe very few? Until I find something different to change my mind, I attribute my slip/bump feeling to fuel sloshing in that long tank. YMMV. vic
Wow, Vic, I've been on this board for 7 years and this may be the first time I can provide something useful back to you.

I had the bump at the start of acceleration for YEARS. It suddenly went away the day that I replaced the drive shaft (propeller shaft) carrier bearing. FWIW

Wow, Vic, I've been on this board for 7 years and this may be the first time I can provide something useful back to you.

I had the bump at the start of acceleration for YEARS. It suddenly went away the day that I replaced the drive shaft (propeller shaft) carrier bearing. FWIW
That is useful information.

I don't think that it applies to my Sprinters. That comment was posted back in March 2011 or about 6 years and 75,000 miles ago. So far my differential is holding up well. (knock/touch wood)

Your info may help others.

Thanks.

As long as I'm posting in this older thread...
Camping World may not stock the Mobil Delvac anymore.

General information for USA owners. Mobil Delvac is not commonly found in auto parts houses or big box stores.

Our local Camping World has Mobil Delvac™ Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 on the shelves. It has MB235.8 on the label which is listed in BEVO as should be used for our Sprinter differentials. Price was 10 bucks and change per quart.
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/co...xmobil-delvac-synthetic-gear-oil-75w90-80w140

Added: I'm not certain that even Camping World stocks the MB approved Mobil Delvac 75w-90 anymore.

Dennis recommends this. :thumbup::thumbup:
Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil and then it will be like a Tacoma [simple].
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-104361-Lubricant-Gear/40905568
Dun Dun and Done
Dennis
The approved Mobil Delvac
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Delvac-Gear-75W90-112811/dp/B007WVI5G6

:2cents: vic

vic

lindenengineering

I have spoken directly to both Mobil and Valvoline specifying the appropriate BEVO list numbers.
Both companies ensured me that their product exceeds the MB spec and quoted me on line their spes to prove it
Dennis

Goofy foot

sliding left...
Anyone have a source for Mobil Delvac 75W-90 in quarts? I've called the local distributor and they were of no help.

Top Bottom