Transmission Drain Plug

cdman1674

Lots of talk on this forum about difficulty in removing the drain plug on the NAG1. Has anyone else tried to order a replacement part? The parts book has an error, the blown up picture has an arrow pointing to the drain plug and gives it a number. The description of that item is “magnet”, I ordered that part number and received the pan magnet (round type). As far as I can tell all the parts books are wrong??
Does anyone have the correct number for this item? thanks
fyi- book--- 14 52108331AA 1 L DGJ MAGNET (page 344)

cdman1674

I think what you bought was the torque converter plug, they don't list the drain plug just the washer. I believe that they have the same manual with the wrong part number listed. That would be the only reason I can imagine for them not selling it. I have tried crossing it with the Mercedes part but, it crosses to the same magnet. On the advice of a Mercedes mechanic i am waiting for a drain plug for the NAG1 that he suggested. I talked to the "Sprinter" tech at my dealership and he informed me that on occasion he has had to use a chisel to remove the drain plug, but the parts department has no way to order the replacement part hmm........http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif
I will post the results of the Mercedes mechanics advice Thanks for the input

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I talked to the "Sprinter" tech at my dealership and he informed me that on occasion he has had to use a chisel to remove the drain plug
The transmission drain plug flange has a lot of surface area , that coupled with excessive installation torque usually overwhelms the strength of most allen wrench bits when attempting to loosen it.

I routinely drop the pans for draining and seldom worry about the pan drain plugs. After all, the filter should be replaced at the same time as an oil change, so the pan must be removed anyway. Just be careful not to overfill.

I would advise you to concentrate on the torque converter drain plug and be sure you have the correct replacement crush washer (special outer diameter for its recessed mounting socket) ready when reinstalling. The torque is critical as well, 124 in-lbs. Doktor A

Last edited by a moderator:

poiuytrewq

Why dont you just try to turn it, worst thing that could happen is that the allen key strips it. Having a spare plug on hand will not help, and you will have to drop the pan any way to drain the fluid. i used a socket allen key on mine.

cdman1674

Thanks for the post,
Yes i've already removed the plug after dropping the pan. As stated by Doktor A the contact surface area is too large and provides too much friction to be easily removed by the torx bit. Since this is the first time that I have tried to remove it I am not sure if it was over torqued or if the length of time since last removal caused the problem. I twisted one torx tool, I snapped one tool, and the third attempt stripped the nut. Only after removal of the pan was I able to remove the nut with a hammered in allen wrench. I have since replaced the pan and stripped nut and are waiting on a replacement.

Doctor A, it would seem logical to have a tool that is capable of removing the nut if it is properly torqued. If the drain plugs are this tight when torqued correctly, In a perfect world someone should make a drain plug with a method of removal that would work? just venting----:bash:
Drain plugs are a good idea if you can actually use them

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
As stated by Doktor A the contact surface area is too large and provides too much friction to be easily removed by the torx bit.

I twisted one torx tool, I snapped one tool, and the third attempt stripped the nut. Only after removal of the pan was I able to remove the nut with a hammered in allen wrench. I have since replaced the pan and stripped nut and are waiting on a replacement.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread-the drain plug is removed (or attempted to be removed) with an Allen bit- not a torx bit. 5mm to be exact.

I have never stripped a drain plug's internal socket head but I have deformed a very high strength Snap-on Allen bit in the attempt. Doktor A

cdman1674

I stand corrected, after receiving the new plug from Mercedes I can clearly see that Doctor A is correct. :bow: The drain plug is indeed a 5mm Allen type. Mercedes # A0009976532 Screw Plug
Chrysler # 05143740AA PLUG

Top Bottom