lower intercooler hose collapsing

epssty

2005 2500 sprinter
i have a 2005 2500 sprinter

I replaced the air filter and it had a felt cloth glued to the bottom of the filter

it that good or bad

the rubber hose that connects the turbo resonator the the intercooler is pulling in on itself or collapsing which does not allow the sprinter to move

it will start but that is all

i replaced the turbo resonator with the aluminum one

do i need to place the hose now or is there something else wrong that I am not aware of

I had to replace the alternator and the serpentine belt resonantly

the alternator bearings froze and the serpentine belt got hot and broke

i also replace the crank sensor that is by the starter and the started

i thank you for your help

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If the hose is collapsing, that means that air is not getting through the air filter, the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor or the turbo itself.

On the principle of "whatever you did last", i'd start by opening up the air filter box, removing the air filter, and then starting the Sprinter.

If it does NOT collapse, then it's the air filter (either mis-installed or simply plugged).

If you have the ASSYST option, there should be a little "% blockage" indicator on the lid of the air filter box.

AirFilterGauge.png

(from the 2006 owner's manual, available at: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference )
--dick

Last edited:

I just put it in

it is brand new with the felt cloth on the bottom
:idunno:

So what is causing the lower hose to be under such negative pressure as to collapse? I agree with Dick FWIW. Remove the filter for a test. It will not take long to reveal if the problem goes away. It will not hurt anything during the test.

:2cents: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I suppose something could be blocking the intake on the air box, I can't really imagine an air filter being so bad it causes suction like that.

epssty

2005 2500 sprinter
the filter had a felt cloth glued to the bottom of it

which is causing the restriction of air flow

i poped the air cleaner open just to test it and the sprint got more air and it would move but the hose still collapsed

it is a new filter with a felt cloth glued to the bottom

i do not have any friends ( you are my only friend ] lol

it could be old because it is not stiff like the one on top of the other side of the intercooler

does anyone know the part number and how to ask for a stiff hose

epssty

2005 2500 sprinter
i am sorry vic but i have a case of blue pill all ready

You are not going to believe this

i went out to check the turbo to see if it was spinning and guess what i found

a very energetic mouse had fill my turbo with seeds and food for the winter

i have been waiting for the new air filter for 2 weeks for the filter and febex will not come here in the winter so they give it to the us postal service which is unreliable in the winter

so the the whole 2 week time the lid was off the air cleaner and a creator made it his home

thank you so much [best friend] lol

i took a vacuum cleaner and cleaned it out and everything is good

and it is starting now with out the glow plug light going out

thank you all for the help

i will watch for nuts getting in the way next time

You are not alone if that helps.

SquirrelsAre Jerks.jpg

Glad you figured it out.

Be very thorough in cleaning the debris. You don't want anything coming loose to hit the turbo blades when at full speed.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:
Glad you busted your new friendly nut lover and solved the issue before it started to dine on wiring or something worse.

My T1N was parked near some pines and luckily the rodent bailed before things got nearly as bad as in vic's pic.

After shop vacuuming debris I found a leaf blower very helpful to blow out the remaining napkin pieces etc.

epssty

2005 2500 sprinter
i should have taken a pic but i was in shock to find a batch of seed in my turbo

god is funny

i need to get back to my case of blue pills

lol thanks

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
His first post says he has a 2005 Sprinter.

My Dodge/MB part numbers were the OM647 part (from the 2006 catalog)

Your part is for the 2002-2003 OM612 (based upon its URL)
I referenced the 2004-2006 part at Europarts (based upon its URL)

Oops. I'm wrong.
I think you're staying at that level of performance (too much egg nog??)
(i see you snuck in the strikeover whilst i was typing :rolleyes:)

--dick

Last edited:

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
A few cable ties snug around the outside of the hose will help as a temporary way to keep it from collapsing.

Go to the pharmacist. Just say "Viagara please".

vic
I don't think cable ties would keep it from collapsing, would it?

I don't think cable ties would keep it from collapsing, would it?
It really can work that way. Consider what happens to the hose. The cable ties will compress the hose where applied. That causes the areas between to bulge out a bit which creates a different stronger shape against the negative pressure. Kinda makes it a ribbed hose.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom