Aux Heater install - using heater booster fuel line

Hi all - Ive done a lot of reading on the forum here about installing a cabin heater. Im trying to avoid dropping the fuel tank by stealing the fuel line that runs to the factory heater booster.

Context, I have a 2004 sprinter that i currently live and travel in, I have not ever used the factory heater booster for the 3 years I've owned the van and honestly didn't know it existed until recently. I just purchased a planar diesel heater to heat the van while parked and engine turned off.

I would like to either "T" into the heater booster fuel line, or reroute the fuel line completely (rendering the factory heater booster unusable).

My question is, when hijacking this fuel line is there a "best place" to do so? Should i tap directly into the connection at the tank? or is a "T" connection okay as long as both heaters are not running concurrently?

Paul_E_D

Hi all - Ive done a lot of reading on the forum here about installing a cabin heater. Im trying to avoid dropping the fuel tank by stealing the fuel line that runs to the factory heater booster.

Context, I have a 2004 sprinter that i currently live and travel in, I have not ever used the factory heater booster for the 3 years I've owned the van and honestly didn't know it existed until recently. I just purchased a planar diesel heater to heat the van while parked and engine turned off.

I would like to either "T" into the heater booster fuel line, or reroute the fuel line completely (rendering the factory heater booster unusable).

My question is, when hijacking this fuel line is there a "best place" to do so? Should i tap directly into the connection at the tank? or is a "T" connection okay as long as both heaters are not running concurrently?
I literally jist did this on sunday. My boost heater wasnt working so i borrowd the existin fuel line. It is by far easiest to work at the fuel pum end of the line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

BTW, what you cannot do is use the boost heater fuel pump for the cabin heater. It looks identical, but flows a different rate of fuel. I think the easiest thing to do is simply replace the boost pump with the new one, and route the new fuel output line to the cabin heater. Simply unplug the boost fuel line and power line. If you want both, just add a tee fitting right about the middle of the plastic straw portion of the fuel line and mount the second pump right next to the boost pump. I wouldn't hesitate to try using both simultaneously. the pumps only sporadically move fuel, so volume should not be an issue.

Sprinterkitevan

2005 3500 158
I am about to install a D2 on my 05 T1N and want to tap into that factory fuel line for my booster heater. I have owned the van for over two years and have never used this function , maybe once by mistake and was puzzled to what the sounds was...

My question is, I want to keep the booster heater intact and tee into the existing fuel line for the new espar d2. Where exactly would you tee into the existing fuel line ? You say in the "plastic straw portion" of the fuel line i assume that's the clear small diameter fuel line running up to the factory booster heater? Wouldn't this be after the factory pump ? Thanks!

Paul_E_D

No, you will need two different fuel pumps. THe aux heater pump flows too much fuel and overheats the D2.

Edit: If you didn't know, the aux heater has it's own pump. Not the one that is in the fuel tank. It is roughly under the ebrake handle.

Last edited:

Sprinterkitevan

2005 3500 158
What does the pump look like exactly? Is it located closer to the fuel tank? From what I remember I thought it was closer to the fuel tank, coming off the front end of the tank there is a fuel line that runs up to metal unit that is plugged in ( I thought this was the pump ??) ... coming out of the backside of that unit is a small piece of black rubber hose then connected to the clear small diamter fuel line that runs to the factory heater I believe.

I have a picture just cant figure out how to upload?!

Paul_E_D

Follow the fuel straw to roughly under the ebrake handle. There is a small silver cylindrical pump attached to the body above the tranny cross member. It's probably 4 feet from the fuel tank. Perhaps yours has regular fuel line and not the straw section between the tank and the pump? It sounds like you are looking at the correct item.

Sprinterkitevan

2005 3500 158
Found it ! So I plan to T into the small rubber section of hose right before the pump. Does anybody know the size of that rubber fuel line or what size barbed fitting to order?

mrm212

Hi, did you ever get this figured out? I am planning on doing the same thing but don’t know what kind of a barbed tee fitting to order. Thanks!

Top Bottom