Aftermarket Suspension Options - whats your experience?

TheGearDoctor

This thread appears to be one of the most active/recent concerning tire sz fitments and lifts. To that end, I'll add some further experience regarding fitting various tire sizes.

Van: 2016 144" 4x4.
Phase 1 - no lift, Milestar XT's in 265/75r16, stock steel wheels : No rub [Note: more owners should consider this tire. It performs well and is affordable].
Phase 2 - no lift, BFG KO2 in 285/70r17, Black Rhino Midhill ET38 : Significant rub
Phase 3 - RIP Kit w/ spacers, BFG KO2 in 285/70r17, Black Rhino Midhill ET38 : Moderate rub (i.e., unacceptable sound; minor trimming of ft mud flaps did not resolve
Phase 4 - - RIP Kit w/ spacers, Falken AT3 255/80r17, Black Rhino Midhill ET38 : Very slight rub; tensioned front wheel well plastic forward, and slight additional mud flap trimming resolved contact [Note: on level ground]

Van weight is ~8900lb. Front end supports a 12k Warn Zeon in a ROAMBuilt bumper. RIP includes ft aux shocks. 16mm spacers.

While I think some more aggressive mud flap/wheel well efforts would fit the 285 KO2's, the 255 Wild Peaks are a much easier fit, and are a true 33". They give up a side wall ply, but offer (in some situations) benefits in their profile: 8" vs 9.25" ground contact width, and 1" narrower overall width. Negligible weight difference. 2/32" deeper tread. Less % of voids. Similar siping.

YMMV

OffroadHamster

Anyone have any experience going from the Foxes to the e-adapt Falcons? Ive got dieselgate money burning a hole in my pocket

Ill also gladly take commentary on the Falcon fast adjust units.

My primary interest is small bump and road imperfection compliance. I feel the Fox's are more than up to the task off road, just looking for a smoother ride on the highway over reflectors, broken pavement, potholes etc.

Last edited:

hilld

Must be a slow burn with availability being many months away, unless the e-adapts have a very short lead time. I can't speak to those, but I am running Falcon's on all 4 corners (3500 XD 4x4 dually) and couldn't be happier.

OffroadHamster

Thanks for the data point! Ill take all data I can get.

I would love some comparative feedback from anyone who has run both Fox and Falcon. Its a lot of coin to drop to swap out my Foxs if there is no comparative advantage.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Anyone have any experience going from the Foxes to the e-adapt Falcons? Ive got dieselgate money burning a hole in my pocket

My primary interest is small bump and road imperfection compliance. I feel the Fox's are more than up to the task off road, just looking for a smoother ride on the highway over reflectors, broken pavement, potholes etc.
I believe all the VC E-adapt Falcon shocks show “sold out” on their website. Chip shortage maybe?

The VC site does not currently permit an order (and wait) for E -Adapt items… which makes me think they are really unsure when they may have them available again. Good that they’re not just taking money in.

The manual fast adjust Falcons are an a bit of a wait, 11 weeks for me (rears).
I’ll have some feedback on swapping rears from FOX 2.0’s to Falcon 3.3 fast adjusts in a week or so.
Currently have the Agile RIP kit with 4700lb rear leafs.
If I am pleased with the rears (likely), I’m pretty sure I’ll be looking to upgrade the front set up as well.
?

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

Thanks Rocks, I am aware of the delays.

I figure it will take me a while to figure out if its worth it for me anyway. I am also eyeing the S&B 47 gallon replacement fuel tank....750miles of range sounds damn appealing...as well as pondering some agile rear springs.

.......or even just ignoring the van and buying a bigger turbo, injectors and new IC for the Subaru :confused::bounce:...not that at 2700lbs and 400whp it needs anymore power.

but honestly the van doesnt NEED better suspension or a bigger tank either.

but..i just bought the wife a new couch and coffee table and ill be damned if im not going to spend free money on something fun :ROFLMAO:

Decisions decision

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE

I figure it will take me a while to figure out if its worth it for me anyway. I am also eyeing the S&B 47 gallon replacement fuel tank....750miles of range sounds damn appealing...as well as pondering some agile rear springs.

.......or even just ignoring the van and buying a bigger turbo, injectors and new IC for the Subaru :confused::bounce:...not that at 2700lbs and 400whp it needs anymore power.

but..i just bought the wife a new couch and coffee table and ill be damned if im not going to spend free money on something fun :ROFLMAO:

Decisions decision
That subie sounds fun!
and yeah the 47 gallon tank is appealing, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer re loss of ground clearance compared to stock.
And with a RIP kit I don’t really need a suspension upgrade either… but I’m totally enamored with the idea of adjustability.
And Re stuff for the wife… Fair is fair! ???? ?

Last edited:
The few ACGB tanks I have seen over the years, did not hang any lower than the stock tank. They just made better use of the space. I can't speak for the others that are now finally showing up in the marketplace, other than, it is about time.

When I first saw the ACGB tanks they were $1500 imported and a few more hundred for an install. I snoozed and losed. Now they are double the price, and my 06 T1N and I are old enough to live with what I have. The fuel range is impressive, as always. Using the same sender and gauge is also impressive.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
That subie sounds fun!
and yeah the 47 gallon tank is appealing, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer re loss of ground clearance compared to stock.
And with a RIP kit I don’t really need a suspension upgrade either… but I’m totally enamored with the idea of adjustability.
And Re stuff for the wife… Fair is fair! ???? ?

Decisions decision
Just installed, now have to dial in the tuning. Had it set on both softest settings for a quick 3mi round trip errand with a few bumps on the route…definitely a more forgiving ride. Pleased so far. ?

OffroadHamster

I watched a video somewhere that showed its height is about 1-1.5" lower than stock.

Found it: around the 3 minute mark

In the beginning you can see it sitting on the ground next to the stock tank as well.

I never liked the absurd price on the ACGB tank or the material selection. Its pretty easy to make a field repair of a plastic tank, especially for diesel.

Ive never patched an aluminum tank so no idea on the difficulty there??

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Clean, epoxy, aluminum patch (beer can, or whatever is around. Some quick set epoxy putties will stick to clean aluminum. Likely requiring draining though.

More permanent, rivet a patch, and use fuel rated sealant, You will want closed end rivets to prevent leaks.

Typically requiring removal, is a TIG weld repair.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I watched a video somewhere that showed its height is about 1-1.5" lower than stock.

Found it: around the 3 minute mark

In the beginning you can see it sitting on the ground next to the stock tank as well.

I never liked the absurd price on the ACGB tank or the material selection. Its pretty easy to make a field repair of a plastic tank, especially for diesel.

I found the clearance mentioned at the 1:35 mark.
Dang, that’s a deal killer for me. I’m now hoping they’ll come up with a tank that is the exact same depth as the factory tank, I can live with 40 or 42 gallon etc.

Agreed re absurdity of the acbg tank price. Absolutely ridiculous.

not sure about it’s ability to do its job if the tank has fuel residue on it but maybe JB weld? Either way, that stuff should be in every tool kit.

Last edited:

Farfrumwork

Anyone have feedback on the Agile leaf springs?

I've got the VC Fox setup (adjustable on the rear - whatever 'stage' that is...) and it has been much better than stock.
I would like more compliance in the back and wonder if the ~$1400 leafs are a significant upgrade. Does it affect the ride as Agile states? (I know a lot of 4x4's swap to Deaver springs, or the like...)

I would try to hit a ~1" lift (based on weight) as my van isn't overly loaded (~7500lb loaded), but does show some sag at the rear. Mostly looking for more compliance/comfort/linear response.

Eggnog 2.jpg

Thanks!

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE

I've got the VC Fox setup (adjustable on the rear - whatever 'stage' that is...) and it has been much better than stock.
I would like more compliance in the back and wonder if the ~$1400 leafs are a significant upgrade. Does it affect the ride as Agile states? (I know a lot of 4x4's swap to Deaver springs, or the like...)

I would try to hit a ~1" lift (based on weight) as my van isn't overly loaded (~7500lb loaded), but does show some sag at the rear. Mostly looking for more compliance/comfort/linear response.

View attachment 206277

Thanks!
The Agile leaf springs absolutely make a difference, and it’ll definitely fix the gawdawful sprinter squat.
Weigh front and rear of your van at a CAT scale (if fully built), If you’re planning on adding anything else to your build (like H20 tanks or a 47 gallon fuel tank estimate that filled weight in.
Call and talk to them to determine the right spring pack, for the weight and lift you desire etc.

A Van Compass leaf helper pack is certainly another option as well, and may be less cost.

smittylube

Thanks!
I added 2 of the 3 springs on my revel roughly 4K# rear end, did an install for another with all 3 additional. I went cautiously on mine due to Van compass suggestion that it might be too stiff. I also didn’t want it too high in back. for mine it’s perfect for everyday, but slightly soft if totally loaded, (still really good btw) the other I did with 3 was better because of the racks and ladder on the back. Either way the improvements will be with the effort and $.
also I did mine in stages, shocks then springs at a later date. These vans are built to gvwr and the Springs are not tuned to the weight. You are close, but the springs will complete it.
you are welcome to come see/ drive mine if you like.

smittylube

I would try to hit a ~1" lift (based on weight) as my van isn't overly loaded (~7500lb loaded), but does show some sag at the rear. Mostly looking for more compliance/comfort/linear response
the additional springs mount between the stock springs and the block/axle. The thickness of the spring itself adds lift.
look at your bump stops and how much clearance or travel you have. These came with over 2” travel stock. The springs return the travel so in addition to better support there is proper suspension travel. (If that makes sense)

Dave D

Hey Hamster,

I’ve had the Falcon Adapts almost a year now which replaces the Fox 2.0s in the rear.
Background on the Van:
A 2016 144 4x4 short top with the SM poptop.
Started life as a passenger van, so it had the comfort spring pack from the factory and rode level even after build out.
Have always run 265/75/16 tires on stock alloys
Been running the VC tuned fox 2.0 shocks in the rear since 2016, front stock.
Kept buildout on the lighter side with 4,000 lb front weight and 3,730 rear weight before the Falcon install.
Have a rear bench seat right over the rear axle, which is great for getting a feel for rear shocks.

Have had it out back in Death Valley and up into Canada with the new shocks.

Love the shocks and the ability to adjust from the drivers seat. Big difference in comfort in the rear seat; not Cadillac, and you still feel bumps but they aren’t jarring. Biggest difference is improvement in body roll on curves and hard stops. I leave it in Auto adjust for most driving, but go all soft on freeways & long straight roads. Feels a little better planted maneuvering on freeways. Articulation off road is improved and I’ve pushed the van more than previously. Worth it for us.EF1A1256-D67B-49FA-B96C-A60E6E1FDCC8.jpeg

Attachments

OffroadHamster

Hey Hamster,

I’ve had the Falcon Adapts almost a year now which replaces the Fox 2.0s in the rear.
Background on the Van:
A 2016 144 4x4 short top with the SM poptop.
Started life as a passenger van, so it had the comfort spring pack from the factory and rode level even after build out.
Have always run 265/75/16 tires on stock alloys
Been running the VC tuned fox 2.0 shocks in the rear since 2016, front stock.
Kept buildout on the lighter side with 4,000 lb front weight and 3,730 rear weight before the Falcon install.
Have a rear bench seat right over the rear axle, which is great for getting a feel for rear shocks.

Have had it out back in Death Valley and up into Canada with the new shocks.

Love the shocks and the ability to adjust from the drivers seat. Big difference in comfort in the rear seat; not Cadillac, and you still feel bumps but they aren’t jarring. Biggest difference is improvement in body roll on curves and hard stops. I leave it in Auto adjust for most driving, but go all soft on freeways & long straight roads. Feels a little better planted maneuvering on freeways. Articulation off road is improved and I’ve pushed the van more than previously. Worth it for us.
Thank you! I couldnt have asked for a better data point. I have a passenger van with CCV top, run 7800-8500 lbs depending on the trip so I know exactly how the Fox 2.0's feel in the back at your weight and spring pack. That is 100%....no...200% the exact information I wanted.

Cant thank you enough for the detailed input.

paulheckel

I have heard back from my sales person, unfortunately, what he told me won't work. He said the parts are not needed for my 3500, but the instruction sheet doesn't indicate that. I removed the old shock and what do you know, the spacers are indeed needed as the shock body hits the van body without the spacers. So I am removing and re-installing the old shock to only do it again once I get the parts. Good thing I am not paying a shop to do the install.

Almost like they never tested this on a VS30 3500 4x4. Hmm.....

Back and forth emails, a simple phone call would have solved the issue by now.
I realize this is an old thread, but what parts were you missing? I have my rig at an installer and am missing the driver left strut spacer. They sent two right passenger spacers.

Top Bottom