Mercedes Security Vulnerability

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Mercedes Benz vehicles are particularly vulnerable to thieves stealing the vehicle by using the key fob electronics. I just read this article today, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5120385/Thieves-steal-Mercedes-driveway-using-gadgets.html, and it got me to thinking about this key fob vunerabilty with MB Sprinter RVs. If anyone keeps a spare fob hidden on the RV for emergencies or leaves the key fob in the RV when camping and sightseeing (when gone from the RV) then the MB RV is vunerable to theft. Even going into a resturant when traveling. As long as the fob is relatively near it can be hijacked. Faraday or RFID blocking bags can protect your fob when your not using. I bought this bag, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C21O...a96f-7de8e13c3ad3&ie=UTF8&qid=1511799332&sr=2, because it seemed the smallest. It's sad but these days it's better to protect yourself than be sorry. It's interesting that insurance companies may not cover this type of theft because they only cover breaking and entering, which this method does not involve!

Last edited:

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
I could be wrong but I suspect that only the Mercedes with the keyless ignition is susceptible to this type of tampering. The Sprinter fob doesn't transmit a signal unless you press one of the buttons and it only unlocks the doors, you still need a key to start the vehicle. Our Mercedes car has keyless ignition and the fob is constantly putting out a signal so that probably could be hijacked.

An actual key does add a level of security even if it is an old school mechanical answer to the problems.

If electronics were invented first, someone thinking out of the box could make a fortune by adding a mechanical key as an additional security level to the obviously vulnerable keyless security system.

Won't it be funny when good old car keys return for newer model vehicles. Nah. Autonomous drive vehicles can't be stolen... until they can.

P.S. - I found this paper an interesting read.

SECURITY OF VEHICLE KEY FOBS AND IMMOBILIZERS

http://www.cs.tufts.edu/comp/116/archive/fall2015/arichardson.pdf

A tinfoil hat may actually have dual purpose. For your head, and also as a key fob wrap to increase your vehicle security. :hmmm:

vic

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I think our Sprinter's remote only unlocks the RV. Need the old school key to start it. Not sure if the fob has an RFID chip that has to be very near the the ignition switch to start it in addition to the key.

Our Toyos require the presence of the keyless fob in the cars and foot on brake to start them. Once running you can walk away with the fob. Also, weirdly.... They'll start if you forget your key but the sife has hers....

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
Providing the FOB has one, wouldn't removing the battery take care of this concern?
I have a couple of hot rods with hidden battery disconnect switches. However, modern cars have a lot of accessories that need to be connected at all times. Your station settings on the radio for instance. Too, unless the disconnect was outside the coach, you couldn't engage the door locks. More trouble than it's worth.

Old Crows

Mercedes Benz vehicles are particularly vulnerable to thieves stealing the vehicle by using the key fob electronics. I just read this article today, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5120385/Thieves-steal-Mercedes-driveway-using-gadgets.html, and it got me to thinking about this key fob vunerabilty with MB Sprinter RVs. If anyone keeps a spare fob hidden on the RV for emergencies or leaves the key fob in the RV when camping and sightseeing (when gone from the RV) then the MB RV is vunerable to theft. Even going into a resturant when traveling. As long as the fob is relatively near it can be hijacked. Faraday or RFID blocking bags can protect your fob when your not using. I bought this bag, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C21O...a96f-7de8e13c3ad3&ie=UTF8&qid=1511799332&sr=2, because it seemed the smallest. It's sad but these days it's better to protect yourself than be sorry. It's interesting that insurance companies may not cover this type of theft because they only cover breaking and entering, which this method does not involve!
Re-reading this after a good night's sleep.....

Now I've not verified this on the Sprinter as it has 'push button' key fobs .... but... I don't think you can lock the car/van with a 'hot' key inside. The system knows it is there and won't lock the doors. Our Sienna & HiCam won't lock with a key inside. (This has saved me oodles of time and miles because the XYL used to lock her keys in the care about once a year...)

:smilewink:

... Our Sienna & HiCam won't lock with a key inside. ...
It's great when it works. :thumbup:

I just ran around yesterday retrieving a fob from my daughter's house because her husband locked his key in the Lexus. That's not supposed to happen, but for some reason his car no longer recognizes the location of the fob. It could be up to 1000 bucks to repair.

On the way to hand over the spare fob, I stopped in for a door only key. I told son-in-law to put it in his wallet. Problem 100% solved for under 5 bucks... I thought.

My daughter, "But Dad, he sometimes forgets his wallet."

Better than nothing anyway. Money well spent.

vic

Old Crows

It's great when it works. :thumbup:

I just ran around yesterday retrieving a fob from my daughter's house because her husband locked his key in the Lexus. That's not supposed to happen, but for some reason his car no longer recognizes the location of the fob. It could be up to 1000 bucks to repair.

On the way to hand over the spare fob, I stopped in for a door only key. I told son-in-law to put it in his wallet. Problem 100% solved for under 5 bucks... I thought.

My daughter, "But Dad, he sometimes forgets his wallet

The

Better than nothing anyway. Money well spent.

vic
Lad needs keeper! Battery in fobs replaced?

Lad needs keeper! Battery in fobs replaced?
Good question/suggestion. Thanks.

I was more motivated to avoid future rescue missions, so being that I was passing by a locksmith store, a door key was what came to mind.

:cheers: vic

P.S. - The lad is ok. I think that he is a keeper. :thumbup:

Back to topic.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Re-reading this after a good night's sleep.....

Now I've not verified this on the Sprinter as it has 'push button' key fobs .... but... I don't think you can lock the car/van with a 'hot' key inside. The system knows it is there and won't lock the doors. Our Sienna & HiCam won't lock with a key inside. (This has saved me oodles of time and miles because the XYL used to lock her keys in the care about once a year...)

Ummm... I leave my spare key in my 2018 Murphy Bed all the time, and the main set lows me to lock and unlock it whenever I wish. No problem. Both have batteries, and can be used interchangeably. I give the spare to any visitor that might be traveling along with me.

To my knowledge no Sprinter has any Fob proximity/location technology built in to the system. Keys hidden within the vehicle are not an issue.

... Not sure if the fob has an RFID chip that has to be very near the the ignition switch to start it in addition to the key.
There is a chip. The battery in the Sprinter Fob is for the remote locks/security system. The engine start key recognition is via the chip. For starting a Fob key will be recognized whether the battery is good or not.

A T1N Fob. The NCV3 would be similar as to chip location.

Key (1).jpg

vic

Last edited:
"Now I've not verified this on the Sprinter as it has 'push button' key fobs .... but... I don't think you can lock the car/van with a 'hot' key inside. The system knows it is there and won't lock the doors. Our Sienna & HiCam won't lock with a key inside. (This has saved me oodles of time and miles because the XYL used to lock her keys in the care about once a year...)”

This is fine as long as you don’t leave through the coach door like we did with our keys locked inside. Fortunately or unfortunately, there are two outside bins where you can get into a Serenity without a key. I wonder why we even bother to lock it.

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
I have a couple of hot rods with hidden battery disconnect switches. However, modern cars have a lot of accessories that need to be connected at all times. Your station settings on the radio for instance. Too, unless the disconnect was outside the coach, you couldn't engage the door locks. More trouble than it's worth.
Let me make a correction here. I was not thinking about removing the chip key battery, just disconnecting the regular battery. My bad.

Wouldn't wrapping your spare in aluminum foil do the same thing?

Top Bottom