Only one ignition chip key? Nervous?

Re: Only one ignition key? Nervous?

Used fobs on ebay too...
Thanks for that suggestion. It's a great source to swap over parts. :thumbup:

In case the current listing goes away, the eBay description is "Mercedes Dodge Sprinter Key Keyless Entry Remote Fob Transmitter KR55 OEM".

It may even be possible to take that fob to a dealer to get the chip programmed into your vehicle. That doesn't help with the ignition/door key though.

vic

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!

I had GDE turn off the SKEEM, don't need no stinking chip. :bash:

Wildebus

Nervous? Moi? You Betcha! :frown:

The seller of my T1N based VW LT had two white vans for sale - and one had green cab doors, one didn't - and he swapped over the doors between the two to make one overall better one (the one I bought :rolleyes: )
But this meant got two keys - but one key for cab doors and one for ignition supplied.
I went to a local locksmith chain in the UK - "Timpsons" - and they made me a spare cab key - just plain all-metal blank - and a chipped key for the ignition with plastic surround. He read the code on the original ignition key on his machine and programmed the new one (Mercedes blank)
From memory it was around £50 ($75 US) for the pair of keys, which I thought was ok (and certainly cheaper then Main Dealer price!)

If you have a working chip, are willing to glue it in place, and presently have mismatched ignition and door keys there is a fairly inexpensive ignition/doors match option.

The lock cylinders aka barrels aren't too difficult to change out and are available as a set.

T1NKeyCylinder.jpg

NAS aka NAFTA T1N?
IGNITION SWITCH + 4 DOOR LOCK BARREL SET FRONT LEFT RIGHT REAR MERCEDES SPRINTER
(Sprinter MK1 1995 - 2006) - includes ignition 10 latch cylinder
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-S...108364?hash=item3ac2ba8b0c:g:BlMAAOSwE6VXJoot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-B...h=item33b0cb410a:g:BSEAAOSw-0xYfNMY#vi-ilComp

BARREL LOCK DOOR SET KEYS FITS ALL DOORS MERCEDES SPRINTER C CLASS VITO VW LT (4 ea.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARREL-LOC...887241?hash=item33c3894c89:g:PMAAAOSw8-FaV4wC

It is safe to assume that the ignition key has latches. Added: It 100% does. Note 10 latches in the picture above.

NCV3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-B...m=222011647324&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Be aware that the title says older, but the "Fits" guide appears to list NCV3 models. The firm may also have T1N cylinders though.

Some recent discussion is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=642031#post642031

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
... well, that ad pretty much flat-out says that the ignition has a 10-tumbler (latch) cylinder, and the doors are shorter. (they look like 8).

--dick

... well, that ad pretty much flat-out says that the ignition has a 10-tumbler (latch) cylinder, and the doors are shorter. (they look like 8).

--dick
Yep. I had already verified that you were correct in the other thread, but it was added, not highlighted. "Added: It 100% does. Note 10 latches in the picture above."

The ignition is a 10 tumbler/latch barrel. An ignition key cannot necessarily be re-created by using the door cylinder/barrel. Seems like a bit more over-design on the part of Mercedes to me... but maybe it is a common mode for vehicles to have more tumblers for the ignition than the door. That does add a bit more security.

:cheers: vic

Added:
This one also shows 10 tumblers/latches.
It lists 901, 902, 903 (T1N models), but stops at 1999 model year?

T1NKeyCylinder02.jpg

MERCEDES SPRINTER 1 MK1 1995-2006 Ignition Lock Barrel & Door Lock SET 5 pcs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-S...itm=272241167386&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Last edited:

... The blank didn't fit in the lock at all, and after one was cut it still didn't fit in. Just a heads up for those looking to buy keys.
I have an Amazon listed brass key which didn't fit without modification.

My feedback to the seller.

"Amazon purchase feedback

V. W.

Dear Sirs:
I ordered a key listed for Mercedes Sprinter Vito.

Keyecu Transponder Key Fob W/ Chip T5 for Mercedes Benz Vito Actros Sprinter V Class

I have 2 ea. VA or T1N aka 903 Sprinters.

The key arrived on time in good condition.

The key would not insert into my 2004 or 2006 model year Sprinter locks.

Using a micrometer I checked the outside dimensions and compared to my OEM key. The outside dimensions were the same.

The problem is that the center section of the key is not in specification. The groove area is too small which makes the center section too thick. I used an end mill cutter and key file to increase the size of the center groove/step and also reduce the thickness of the center section. The key now fits both the 2004 and 2006 Sprinters.

Your key dimension specifications should be checked against an OEM key to properly fit Sprinters.

vic"
I also submitted a poor review to Amazon which resulted in this response.

"------------- Begin message
-------------

Message from 3rd party seller:
Hello dear friend,
We just noticed you mentioned in the
feedback you write to us but never get response from us,we
checked all the message and don't found your emals,is there
any misunderstanding between us?
We could replace or refund for your
order,could you please send us a picture of your original
key blade to check??
Wish to hear from you as soon
Lily"

I saw no need to return the now working modified key.

Additional back and forth emails complete with pictures resulted in no real resolution.

I did a quick Amazon search. I could no longer find the key blank listing with my negative review.

Sellers/suppliers don't make key blanks. They source them. Apparently there are some out of spec key blanks being manufactured. Other than customer feedback on specific keys, I have no idea how to tell when a company would be supplying the out of spec blanks.

When you receive a blank try inserting the uncut blank into the locks. If the blank easily inserts into all of the locks it will be worth having it cut. Otherwise it should be returned before cutting.

Unless positive reviews indicate differently I would avoid Amazon keyecu T1N Sprinter key blank offerings. They supplied my out of spec key blank.

Added:
From a recent discussion.

I need help.

I bought an Ebay key with a RFD chip.
The thickness and pattern look good but it is too long.

That key looks familiar. First, be certain that it will insert into the cylinders. Mine wouldn't without being shaved down with an end mill cutter and file.

When it is cut, every key should be indexed using the shoulder. Only hacks set up using the tip.

The extra length of that key is insignificant for Sprinter use.

vic

Added:

I compared three of my keys.

T1NFOBvsBlanks.jpg

It won't fit into the door because it is too thick? You might try filing the thickness down to see if it works. Others have had varying degrees of success in doing so.
If it was like mine, it is not "too thick". If anything it is thin and flimsy compared to my Ilco MB17 blanks.

The steps to the center are the wrong dimension. I used an end mill cutter in a drill press and a file to adjust that dimension. I never needed to adjust the overall thickness of the key.

I doubt that it is an Ilco brand key.

... One working key

A “hide-a-key” or a key that will only open the door is $3. For these keys we only need a good working key for duplication. The turnaround time is one business day.

If anyone goes through SOS for keys it would be foolish in my mind to not get at least a couple door only keys for 3 bucks each. for the most part that is cheaper than the blanks from many sources.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

howell72

I got a 2nd key made a our local locksmith for about $65. He had a key that matched and an eprom duplicator. The process took about a minute and he said he wouldn't charge me unless it started the car. It worked fine for the ignition and door locks. Not a remote but it's only an emergency key.

Lost key? None of the previous ideas in this thread appeal to you?

Here's a recent price from SOS.

As it turns out, I will be using SOS. They responded this morning.

A pair of non-remote keys, cut from a lock I send them and programmed to the ECU and SKREEM is $250, plus however much overnight shipping both ways will run me. I should be up and running up to 5 days sooner than waiting for the local shop.

Thanks for the intel.
vic

P.S. - Of course I can't resist adding this...
Using the glued chip method can avoid the higher costs associated with losing your only key and provide a method for inexpensive spare keys.

From another recent thread.

I can't answer your chipped key with proof of ownership question except that maybe it would be worth it to go to a dealership and avoid aggravation.

... The work and blanks are not good.
I hear you. :thumbup:

I've purchased T1N keys that have the plastic chip holder from Amazon.

Some come as steel keys. Our local locksmiths will not cut steel keys because they own the key machine. Some Ace hardware or other box stores MAY cut them because the employees don't know any better. (It beats the hell out of the cutting wheels and adjustments.) I've hand copied a couple steel keys now using key files and a caliper.

One brass key I purchased wouldn't even insert into the lock. The center portion was too thick. I milled that key to proper size and had it cut by a locksmith. All seemed good until after a short time I noticed that it was not wearing well. When compared to a MB17 blank the Amazon brass blank had little meat to it.

I have since returned to using my Redneck M17 key blank that is attached to the OEM plastic handle stub. The light duty key is now a spare. My plan is to hand cut another 2 dollar steel key. That takes some luck.

https://smile.amazon.com/SODIAL-Replacement-Transmitters-Mercedes-Sprinter/dp/B01A2SNBAK

I feel compelled to admit that my first hand copy attempt works flawlessly. My 2nd hand cut steel key works, but needs a bit of jiggle on some cylinders. I hope that 3rd time is a charm. (I do have 2 ea. blanks though.)

There are definitely different levels of quality in the blanks available from Amazon. I suspect that applies to eBay also. The MB17 blank is a solid choice, but won't accept a chip. The Redneck method does work though, as does the glued chip hack.

Redneck Sprinter Chipped Key
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155692#post155692

Only one ignition chip key? Nervous?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61214

graytea

Hello everyone, I have a question
Is there anyway that I could use key fob to remote lock after doing this method ?

Gửi từ Redmi 4 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

Hello everyone, I have a question
Is there anyway that I could use key fob to remote lock after doing this method ?

The SKREEM security chip and remote lock features are separate functions.

BUT.... (based upon further info)

Removal of the chip and securing it to the transponder ring will disable the remote lock Fob. You can cannot use the remotes the same as when they have the RFID chip installed.

vic

Last edited:

graytea

The SKREEM security chip and remote lock features are separate functions.

Removal of the chip and securing it to the transponder ring will not disable the remote lock Fob. You can use the remotes the same as when they have the RFID chip installed.

vic
Thanks for quick reply !
Hmmm how strange..
Dash button work, door lock work either.
But my key fob doesn't work after install the chip to transponder ring.
I will double check and report tomorrow

Last edited:

Okay weird enough. Everytime I put the chip on the ring, key fob stop working.
https://youtu.be/UfTE4LS-UV8

:hmmm:

Maybe I'm wrong. It won't be the first time.

Fact:
The SKREEM and door locks are definitely two distinct different systems.

Another fact:
Mother Mercedes does like to over-engineer systems.

Maybe they tied them together... whether that is needed, makes any sense at all, or not.

Please keep us updated.

Added:
Is this a T1N or NCV3? I suppose it could have some proximity thing related with not being able to leave the key in the ignition.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Another fact:
Mother Mercedes does like to over-engineer systems.

Maybe they tied them together...
Bingo...

I just went out and tried it.

If my key is sitting in the ignition (engine off, key in "zero" position)

...(drum roll) ...

The fob buttons DO NOT WORK!

If i pull my key out, but hold the fob in the same next-to-hole/bezel position: they DO NOT WORK.

If i pull my key out and hold it 6 inches away ... THEY DO WORK.

So: if the chip is sensed, the remote fob is ignored.

--dick (experimentation!)
p.s. the SKREEM, CTM (central timing module) and Security System Module (under driver's seat) have their own private communication wire ... see page 8w-39-6 in the 2006 service manual. (i'm still looking for the bezel antenna connection... i think it'll be the ECM itself.)
p.p.s. the "can't remotely lock (or unlock) with key in place" means your co-driver can't lock you out of the Sprinter when your keys are in the ignition.

p.p.p.s. the transponder antenna ('sensor') wires do come directly from the SKREEM module (it took trolling through the "connector pin-outs" chapter to find them... they're called "SKREEM Transponder" on pg 8w-39-12

Last edited:

Top Bottom