Best Tires for T1N, Trails/Highway

alexk243

KulAdventure
I need to replace my tires in the near future and wanted to get opinions from people who have tried different tires on here. 90% of my driving is highways, but being that I use it for mountain biking and camping I find myself doing a lot of dirt trail driving and would love the extra traction. Also from Chicago so ice and snow play in.

I really like the bfgoodrich all-terrains, I've had them before on other vehicles, but my biggest concern is the sound at highway speed (75mph) and I feel like that may be an issue with those.

Also I am going for an off-road look to my van and I know the looks of tires are the least important part, but it is somewhat important to me...

Van is a 2004 T1N 140" high roof passenger model.

Thanks in advance guys.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Duratracs. Amazing off road and in snow. I can't speak highly enough of them. I usually only use them for winter tires, but I have taken cross country trips with them on, towing a #5000 camper.
I love'em. And when they finally wear out, I will buy them again.

Attachments

alexk243

KulAdventure
Duratracs. Amazing off road and in snow. I can't speak highly enough of them. I usually only use them for winter tires, but I have taken cross country trips with them on, towing a #5000 camper.
I love'em. And when they finally wear out, I will buy them again.
How are these with highway noise?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Not bad at all. Quieter than the BFG ATs. I know because I work on sprinters and get a chance to drive lots of them with different tire combinations.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Cooper AT/3 have a good reputation and cost.

BFG KO2 are a good overall tire. They will reduce your fuel economy a bit due to soft compound. They are tough though.

TotalComp

I have been looking for A/T tires also. Are you on 15 or 16" rims? It's impossible to find anything in 15" with the correct load rating. I need 112 and seriously , there is nothing! Not even road tires. Finding 16" rims is also not easy...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I was looking around, and I believe the factory 16" rims can be purchased new for both NCV3 and T1N models. Shipping might not be cheap though.

There really is not much of anything for 15" wheels. Most 4wd and off road vehicles use 16" or larger.

The BFG KO2 has been a great tire as far as traction and off road performance for us. Tread life is acceptable, and they are very tough, surviving extended air-down operation.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Yep, got a quote from Mercedes for 16". Almost 1000$ ... That's my whole tire budged...
You might shop around some. Either from wreckers, or from other parts sellers. I have seen new 16" oem wheels from $140USD. Which is cheap for wheels.

Lots off NCV3 owners put alloy wheels on new vans, so there are some stock wheels floating about from that.

alexk243

KulAdventure
How are the BFG KOS on the highway though? Anyone familiar with those.

Would love the best combination of least amount of highest noise and somewhat capable on trails, ice, and snow.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
BFG are quiet on the highway. Not as quiet as a summer road tire, but quite good for an AT tire.

The KO2 has the mud/snow designation due to their softer tire compound. The tread patter has good sipping, so ice/snow traction is good. They will not be as good as a dedicated snow tire. But a snow tire won't wear well in warm weather, and won't have the best traction on dirt/gravel.

I have heard good things about the Coppper A/T 3. I am not sure about its winter/snow performance though. The lower cost of the A/T 3 or the Duratracks does improve the value though.

surlyoldbill

Michelin LTX A/T 2. Correct load rating, long lasting, quiet on the highway, and more than enough tread for anything you'd take a 2WD full size van on. If you're after tread that will make you appear more masculine, these may not be for you. They are for performance only, not appearance.

rjz5400

a bunch of luxury SUVs have the same bolt pattern, for a 2500 your upgrade options are plenty!!! try looking for a deal on 16" 3500 wheels.....

Audi Q7, Porche Cayenne, and VW Touraeg. Search around some! and as people have mentioned lots of folks get rid of their factory steelies with continentals for like 100-200 a set...

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
a bunch of luxury SUVs have the same bolt pattern, for a 2500 your upgrade options are plenty!!! try looking for a deal on 16" 3500 wheels.....

Audi Q7, Porche Cayenne, and VW Touraeg. Search around some! and as people have mentioned lots of folks get rid of their factory steelies with continentals for like 100-200 a set...
Personally, I would not put rims on a Sprinter unless they were specifically made for a Sprinter! There have been several threads here on aftermarket rims and Sprinter safety. Even more important is to not use your longer alloy lug bolts to mount your spare steel rim and tire to your Sprinter!

surlyoldbill

I've read a few threads about "fancy" rims splitting on Sprinters. They are not up to the task of 9000lb GVWR or running tires at 75+ psi.

But to by surly: hey, if all you want are "looks", go ahead. Maybe girls will be impressed and want to date you. But, only guys look at tires and rims, to each his own. Some of my best friends are LGBTQ. But come to think of it, none of them are running rims and tires that are out of spec for their cars...now I'm confused.

Jodean

I was looking around, and I believe the factory 16" rims can be purchased new for both NCV3 and T1N models. Shipping might not be cheap though.

There really is not much of anything for 15" wheels. Most 4wd and off road vehicles use 16" or larger.

The BFG KO2 has been a great tire as far as traction and off road performance for us. Tread life is acceptable, and they are very tough, surviving extended air-down operation.
I dont think so, almost all the offroading crowd of jeeps are 15" besides this new JK crap that really isnt a jeep anymore

rjz5400

Sure I've been looking at all the wheel threads and I've never seen this split rim scenario. Just a bunch of people satisfied with their OWN CHOICES. Wheels are either build to withstand the needs of your Sprinter or don't use them. As I said do your research. There are heavier vehicles, with higher towing and payload, with much more HP; that use the same bolt pattern.

Nannies begone!!!

About my own situation, I just picked up some factory take-offs for my 3500 and am planning on getting BFG TA/KO II in 235/85/16 but I can't report on them yet..... They just arrived today!!

Attachments

No way the duratracs are quieter than the KO2, would bet a shanahan's steak on that one.

Problem with the 15 inch wheel is there is not a lot of "off roading" tires in the factory size and not a lot in the plus size that meet the load capacity. I wanted a set of Michelin LTX Defenders but couldnt find 16 inch T1n wheels and with winter coming I had to do something to get off the Goodyear cargos. They got me stuck a few times, once was in a wet grass field! I looked into the porsche/Audi wheels but I would have ended up with a 17 or larger and that put me in a bind with the 118wb and the lower front end. I have a set of 18 and 20 cayenne wheels and I will say on the lift they look cool on the sprinter but I wouldnt be able to turn at all!

I ended up with the Nokian Rotiva AT in a 235/75R15 it is snow flake rated, load rated and rides really quiet and smooth. Although comparing it too the Goodyear I think a buckboard wagon would ride smoother. I am very happy about my first non Michelin purchase for my tires in 7 cars. All my cars get summer and winter also. For some background I work with tires and manufacturers everyday, I have been to numerous tire plants, training facility's and ride and drives. one of the most eye opening ones I did was the Michelin 4x4 school where we drove jeeps for a week on Michelins, BFG's and some competitor tires. For me and probably 98% of all the people on the road the Michelin LTX is all we would ever need.

Top Bottom