Any one use this oil -Shell Rotella T 15W40

poiuytrewq

I have been using the mobil1, however it is expensive, and i dont live in a hot or cold climate. Nor do i load my 2005 up. I have read that Shell Rotella T 15W40 meets the requirements but of course i want to know if anyone has used it.
thanks all

Jim42

Hi!I have Sprinter 05 with k240 and always use Rotella Heavy Duty 15w40 oil.Also I add 2 bottles of Lukas oil stabilazer.Van running great,no oil adding between oil change.Good luck!!!:cheers:

stp57

Rotella T is all I have ever run in my 2006. It now has 70K miles on it & I average 12K to an oil change. I get my oil analyzed before every change & Blackstone tells me each time that the oil is performing perfectly & that I can wait until 12K before changing.
I have posted articles here from Blackstone numerous time & each time they state that dino oil performs as well as synthetic oil. Would anyone here actually go more than 12K on synthetic oil?
Steve

Last edited:

Rotella T is all I have ever run in my 2006.
//snip//
Would anyone here actually go more than 12K on synthetic oil?
Steve
My last oil change was at 15,000 using Mobile 1 5-40 Turbo-Diesel Truck because that's what my ASSYST counted down to. I don't mean to start another oil interval thread, but I figure the ASSYST design must err on the good side and be a conservative monitor system.

I know the following isn't about diesels, but it is about oil. I abandoned the 3000 mile oil interval on my gassers forever ago. With 15 - 18,000 miles per year average use I change the oil in the spring and fall. My logic is that I get rid of the winter oil that saw low temps and condensation with the spring change, and get rid of the summer oil that saw high temps with the fall change. I changed my heads on a 5.9L dodge because of a cooling hose failure cracked head at 170,000 miles. There was no sludging evident, the valley was very clean. No oil use to speak of. I typically run my vehicles until rust makes me give them up, never engine mileage issues (knocking/touch wood furiously!). At times you must let go of the old ways young Grasshopper. YMMV

Wow. A time when that little acronym really does fit. AP

KL2BE

I have been using the mobil1, however it is expensive, and i dont live in a hot or cold climate. Nor do i load my 2005 up. I have read that Shell Rotella T 15W40 meets the requirements but of course i want to know if anyone has used it.
thanks all
You did not specify which Mobil 1 formula you have been using. While there are a couple Mobil 1 and Mobil-Delvac 1 formulas that DO meet the MB specs, MOST DO NOT :eek:.

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T 15W-40 are all formulas that meet MB specs for your Sprinter and are all highly regarded by large commercial fleet operators. They are all available at around the same price ($9.89/gal at our local WalMart).

If you have a couple hours to spend, try this site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ . My guess is that if you do you will settle on the Rotella T (or one of the other two mentioned above) (the site has some specific topics on Syn vs. Dino as well as the best oil for the MB 5 cylinder 2.7 liter Turbo-diesel). The synthetics just do not offer any real (as opposed to advertising) advantages for the vast majority of every-day applications. (I might spend the considerable extra money for Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula IF I were operating my Sprinter consistently in sub-zero temperatures or if my Sprinter was equipped with ASSYST and I wanted to push the change intervals to the limit rather than change every 8,000 - 10,000 miles).

TIP: DON'T PUT ANY OIL IN YOUR SPRINTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE MB SPEC NUMBER PRINTED ON THE CONTAINER !! There are a lot of so-called premium brands (including most formulas of Mobil 1) that do not meet the MB spec for your vehicle. The MB engineers have specific reasons for their requirements; trust them over slick advertizing.

poiuytrewq

I just love this forum, great info , very helpfull. I will run the rotella t 15w40 that meets the spec- sells at walmart in a 9.5liter container tht is just about the perfect size, at 1/3 the price.

You are seriously at 40,000miles without a oil change!!!! Just amazing. You must have no fear at all. I still tiptoe around my truck when it comes to repairs and maintenence.

odekolon

Errr ..... yeah ..... :smilewink:

I'm currently at 48,428 miles on my current oil change ... but then I am running a bypass filter .... :D:
I'm installing AMSOIL bypass filter, any suggestion where to find adapter (from engine block to AMSOIL hose)?
I think it should be 1/4" to 12 mm? I order one online but it was very bad quality, and it is cracked at time of installation. Can't find it anywhere, any help? Stainless steel, or any other solid metal adapter should work. Thanks!

pgr

You did not specify which Mobil 1 formula you have been using. While there are a couple Mobil 1 and Mobil-Delvac 1 formulas that DO meet the MB specs, MOST DO NOT :eek:.

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T 15W-40 are all formulas that meet MB specs for your Sprinter and are all highly regarded by large commercial fleet operators. They are all available at around the same price ($9.89/gal at our local WalMart).

If you have a couple hours to spend, try this site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ . My guess is that if you do you will settle on the Rotella T (or one of the other two mentioned above) (the site has some specific topics on Syn vs. Dino as well as the best oil for the MB 5 cylinder 2.7 liter Turbo-diesel). The synthetics just do not offer any real (as opposed to advertising) advantages for the vast majority of every-day applications. (I might spend the considerable extra money for Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula IF I were operating my Sprinter consistently in sub-zero temperatures or if my Sprinter was equipped with ASSYST and I wanted to push the change intervals to the limit rather than change every 8,000 - 10,000 miles).

TIP: DON'T PUT ANY OIL IN YOUR SPRINTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE MB SPEC NUMBER PRINTED ON THE CONTAINER !! There are a lot of so-called premium brands (including most formulas of Mobil 1) that do not meet the MB spec for your vehicle. The MB engineers have specific reasons for their requirements; trust them over slick advertizing.
I have always used which ever one of these Dino oils is available at Sam's or BJ's whenever I happen to need oil. I mix & match and change the oil & filter every 10K miles and have 120K + on my 2004 with no problems of any kind. People get way too anal over these things and throw their money away because of slick advs. If it has the correct MBZ spec number on it I use!

PGR

LuckyEarthling

Hi, just to be clear... I have a 2007 Sprinter so that means mine is not a T1N. Am I still allowed to use Shell Rotella T 15W-40? I bet this is a really dumb question so I apologize for wasting your time.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Hi, just to be clear... I have a 2007 Sprinter so that means mine is not a T1N. Am I still allowed to use Shell Rotella T 15W-40? I bet this is a really dumb question so I apologize for wasting your time.
No, your 2007 V6 Diesel requires MB229.51/52 low ash oil so that the DPF doesn't clog up prematurely.

RTFM? or any of the hundreds of oil threads on this Forum?

glasseye

It appeared to me from reading the Rotella label that only the T6 version of the oil meets the T1N spec. I have run that oil in Frito snice new.. A hundred and fifteen thousand miles. Zero oil consumption between 10,000 mile changes. "Rotella T6 Heavy Duty Diesel 10W 40."

It appeared to me from reading the Rotella label that only the T6 version of the oil meets the T1N spec. I have run that oil in Frito snice new.. A hundred and fifteen thousand miles. Zero oil consumption between 10,000 mile changes. "Rotella T6 Heavy Duty Diesel 10W 40."
A slight correction.

It is Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (blue jug), not 10w-40.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14958681?...39599072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=52987236566&veh=sem

Technically as MB228.31 spec it isn't approved by MB for our I5 T1N's. Many, many owners use it without problems though. It is a highly regarded diesel oil.

The T6 would be a good emergency top off for Sprinters with DPF. T6 is low ash, just not as low as recommended for the NAS aka NAFTA NCV3 engines.

:2cents: vic

surlyoldbill

If you use Shell Rotella your van will explode within minutes and take out half the county with it. It's a fact. :rolleyes:

I still don't understand the fascination with Rotella when the approved and recommended oil is less than $5 more per oil change. Availability? Brand loyalty? Shell stock? Spite? :smirk:

glasseye

A slight correction.
It is Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (blue jug), not 10w-40.
Absolutely true. Thanks, Vic.

IIRC, I went by the "Sxx" service identifier on the bottle and specified in the owners manual when I first chose T6.

Mobil 1 isn't available in the Walmart near me in Sandpoint ID.

Rotella T6 is over twice as expensive in my hometown FLAPS.

Top Bottom