Removing Rusted Calipers

JCMiller23

'05 Dodge 2500 T1N (fedex)
Hey All!

I am trying to change the rotors and pads and they are seriously rusted! I have got the calipers off but I am struggling with (I am not sure the name) the bit that is a frame around the pads. There are two bolts, 19 mm that are on the inside of the part facing the vehicle.

I have tried hitting it with a hammer in various directions in an attempt to break up the rust. I tried WD-40 initially then got some PB Blaster, still no luck. I have been using a breaker bar with a 3 ft pipe attached and have broken one ratcheting socket handle so far.

My next step, I figure, might be to try a propane torch, heat it up and let it cool, although I have heard that with the way this works, I would need to heat up the housing too (and cool it off first, thus squeezing the bolt before it cools and shrinks), but it seems a bit large to do this. I also thought of getting an air hammer and compressor and going at it, but I would like to try all other options before spending big bucks on new equipment.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

... There are two bolts, 19 mm that are on the inside of the part facing the vehicle.

I think that they are 18 mm. Using a larger sized wrench may be negating some of the breaking power of striking with a hammer. The wrench sort of wedges/jams before transferring the sharp hammer blow to the wrench.

My method to remove those is to apply a 6 point wrench, hold the wrench in place, and strike the wrench with a BFH aka large hammer. That usually does the job.

It may be worth double checking the fastener size.

:2cents: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Decent impact driver and a strong mapp gas torch, heat applied locally for 5mins as long as there are not adjacent rubber bits to be damaged....oxy/acetylene torch if you have it is a more focused heat but will damage parts more easily, I quite like my TS8000 from Benzomatic. Good torch, if a little fragile, it will cherry red steel with patience and mapp gas.

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
just make sure your turning the wrench clockwise as seen from outside the rotor or you'll just be tightening it and snap off the bolts/ strip the threads
Heat has always worked for me, but let the bolt cool down 3-5 mins 1st

Last edited:
I've never had any luck with a propane torch, it doesn't put out enough heat. But make sure you're turning the right way and be patient because the only way I've found in getting a stripped bolt out is to weld a cheap wrench onto it. Good luck.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Hey All!

I also thought of getting an air hammer and compressor and going at it, but I would like to try all other options before spending big bucks on new equipment.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Getting a compressor and impact driver will change your wrenching life!
You don't have to spend big bucks on a compressor or impact driver, but you should spend more on the impact driver as a decent 1/2 driver with good torque figures is where it's at. Compressors don't have to be big, as it is the energy in the compressed air that does the work. A small compressor filling a punk tank can do a lot of work.
I only buy oil lubed compressors as the "oiless" ones are noisier and wear out faster. I have a little worksite oil lubed compressor (3 gal) that I bought on sale at Sears 10yrs ago, still going strong. When I need to run more than one framing nailer etc it can't keep up, but for removing lug nuts, etc can be done if you are patient. I even used it at a remote site to run my 3/4" impact, but in that case it was filling a punk tank, and I would get maybe 5-10 secs of good impact before I lost full torque, but that was because of the size of the punk tank. The other advantage of a smaller compressor is you can run it off a smaller generator without damaging it or the generator, and you can plug it into regular receptacles without blowing fuses, can't do that with my Big Bertha.

https://goo.gl/images/oWfxss

Last edited:

Top Bottom