Should I buy this 2006 w 250,000 miles

Niceguy12

Hello Freinds
I am looking at a 2006 158 inch wheelbase sprinter that once was a Fedex vehicle supposedly

It has 250,000 miles and looks in pretty good condition

It had a governor that limited it to 65 mph until about 240,000 at that point the new owner had it removed

I did a test drive and the power was good the owner pointed out there was a "shift flare" from 2nd to 3rd when it tries to shift the engine revs a little before 3rd engages.

The vehicle has records which I am trying to confirm via carfax and talking to the dealer
the current owner has not changed the oil since he bought the van about 8 to 10,000 miles ago

The owner is asking 10,500 and is open to negotiation

That is all I know at this point but should know more later

The "Shift Flare" concerns me I wonder what causes that and if that means major repair work?

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Should I buy this?

Hello Freinds
I am looking at a 2006 158 inch wheelbase sprinter that once was a Fedex vehicle supposedly

It has 250,000 miles and looks in pretty good condition

It had a governor that limited it to 65 mph until about 240,000 at that point the new owner had it removed

I did a test drive and the power was good the owner pointed out there was a "shift flare" from 2nd to 3rd when it tries to shift the engine revs a little before 3rd engages.

The vehicle has records which I am trying to confirm via carfax and talking to the dealer
the current owner has not changed the oil since he bought the van about 8 to 10,000 miles ago

The owner is asking 10,500 and is open to negotiation

That is all I know at this point but should know more later

The "Shift Flare" concerns me I wonder what causes that and if that means major repair work?

Thanks
Way too much $$$! Shift flare is usually 1-2 shift I thought. My 04 had the 1-2 shift flare. The "fix" is replacing the transmission. $2400 +installation for a rebuilt trans.

https://www.silverstartransmission.com/sprinters

Top Bottom