Does Fedex keep records on their vans after they sell?

Niceguy12

Hello Freinds

I am looking at an 2006 158 inch wheelbase sprinter

The current owner bought it from a dealer who bought it at auction

Supposedly the van came from Fedex who did all the maintenance

He has a spread sheet with all the maintenance performed since new

The spreadsheet does not have the VIN on it nor does it say which dealer did the maintenance

Can I call Fedex with the VIN and would they be able to confirm it was once their van and which dealer did the maintenance?

Thanks

pfflyer

I don't know if this is a the case with all the vans but the drivers that I talked to were contract drivers for Fedx or work for a company that is contractor for Fedx and either own the van or the contract company owns the van. When I had my 02 a driver/owner stopped by wanting to see if I had an option that his van had and how it worked. He also asked who I used for maintenance. We didn't talk long but I was left with the impression they and not Fedx was responsible for maintenance. I could be wrong. Either way if the work was done be a MB dealer, any dealer could look up the VIN # and tell what was done to the van. How you would ask them to look it up just walking in off the street I don't know but if you paid for an oil change or some other service I bet the service advisor would look it up. Carfax report I believe gets it data from the dealer network as well.

Niceguy12

I spoke with a local dealer service dept and they said they only had records on a van they did maintenance on
That is why I thought Fedex might know something

:idunno:

They may, but there is little value as a corporation for them to take the time to research and pass the info on to you.

Maybe check with a local FedEx facility in person? Armed with the VIN number a sympathetic service or parts person may dig up some computer history info you. (A follow up with donuts, Munchkins, or other snacks is my mode.)

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

pfflyer

I spoke with a local dealer service dept and they said they only had records on a van they did maintenance on
I have had service done at 3 dealers and the last service advisor mentioned when my last transmission service and fuel filter change that was done at another dealer. Either way he knew when my last service was done and recommended what was due so I assume he had the history. When I bought my used toad my local Toyota service dept knew the history of the car at least what was performed at a dealer and whether there was any body work done as if an accident. Maybe that is not available everywhere or they didn’t want to give it away.

Last edited:

Niceguy12

I will make a separate post
With the Title Should I buy this? here on the TIN forum

Thanks

Last edited:

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
Around here, FedEX GROUND has some Sprinters. FedEX GROUND is not the same as FedEX Express, freight, etc. Ground service deliveries (the last mile) are all done by subcontractors. A subcontractor has the contract fore a few cities, and an entirely different subcontractor can have the contract for the next couple cities.

The subcontractor is its own separate company with its own vehicles. There is very little oversight of the subcontractors, and the subcontractor in my area has both terrible vehicles and terrible people. I can't imagine they keep records, adhere to a maintenance schedule, or use proper parts/fluids.

FedEX Home might be a similar situation.

Keep that in mind when shopping FedEX vehicles.

... also I know there is a long history here of people wanting FedEX vehicles, and having success with those used vehicles. I have never understood the phenomenon. Why do you want a vehicle that is likely started 100 times a day, with the doors opened as much, and a huge proportion of the miles are stop and go? You all may know something I don't, or be smarter than me, but I have never understood the appeal.

I did not know you could get a carfax on a sprinter

Thanks
eBay sellers seem to have best deal on both reports but the mechanical work shows only if they took the time to add what was done.

Locally our FedEx has their own mechanics and as vic mentioned they do like treats and thankfully in my case if it is a bigger beast than you may want to wrestle with, are also happy to do side work and will come to you . :thumbup:

Top Bottom