Battery Group Size for 2006/2007 LTV Free Spirit

Candy2017

I could use some help here. Can someone here help me figure out what size batteries will fit into the 2 basement House Battery compartments of my 2006/2007 LTV?

When I purchased it in 2012, I knew Absolutely Nothing about RV's, Boats, Traveling, (Long Story)...anyway the batteries had a problem, so i replaced one. Then both had a problem a few years later, so I went to Autozone (I know, stupid) and got 2 different size Batteries, a Duralast 27DP-DL and a 29DP-DL. One is 12 1/16 in x 6 13/16 in (8 7/8 in high) and the other is 13 1/8" x6 11/16" x (9 1/8" high). These never seemed to work properly and since they are dropped down into their compartments and are HEAVY, and I didn't/don't have a way to gauge the battery capacity/usage - I just muddled along until they (one) of them is done.

Now, I want to get 2 that are the same size and I'm debating on having as much amp hours that I can get that will fit into the boxes or go the less expensive way (because I may not be keeping my Van for that much longer). So, I've found a Lifeline GPL-31XT for $360 each online with free shipping AND 5 year warranty or I can go to a local place where he is offering a Deka 831DT AGM for $234 with only a 1 year warranty. THIS is all based on IF my sprinter house battery boxes will hold a Group 31 Battery. Otherwise I have to go back to a Group 29 and search. I do have Victron(?) battery monitor, and I'm hoping to somehow get it installed at the same time as the batteries, so I won't be using the generator in the dark (so to speak) anymore.

I'd also like to mention that I ran my propane generator and ran out of oil...So, after the batteries are replaced, that clearly comes next. NOT to mention that I ran the vehicle air conditioner (unbeknownst to me) w/o freon, and so it looks as though that is going to be the 3rd major expense...besides the suspension seems a bit squeaky! Oy! Clearly, a new thread for each may be helpful after I get the battery problem resolved! :)

Thanks if you read this far!
Kindly,
Candy

mtnmasher

I am running group 49 batteries in my 2004/2005 Free Spirit: one under the passenger seat and one in the rear compartment. I had to modify the tray under the passenger seat to allow the battery to lie down on it's side.

Group 31 batteries are 1.9" taller than group 49, and there appears to be enough height in the rear box to accommodate the extra height, so you should be good to go.

I would love to switch to Group 31's, but I don't see how it can fit one under the passenger seat without cutting off the two studs the battery anchor hardware attach to; and I'm reluctant to do that. If anyone has successfully mounted a group 31 battery under the passenger seat of a T1N Sprinter I would love to hear how you did it.

Here are the dimensions for group 31 and 49 batteries. I noticed that the dimensions vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Group 31: 13 x 6.6 x 9.4
Group 49: 13.9 x 6.9 x 7.5

-DaveG

Last edited:

mtnmasher

After doing some research I'm replacing the Group 49 AGMs in my 2004/5 with a pair of NPP NP6 6V 200AH Deep Cycle AGMs.

The advantage of two 6v wired in series over two 12v in parallel is that in the 6v configuration, both batteries will charge to the fullest; whereas parallel 12v batteries will stop charging when weaker battery is fully charged. BTW, the two 12v batteries I am replacing each hold a different charge, with the one under the passenger seat being the worse of the two.

The highest capacity 6v deep cycle AGM I could find that will fit under the passenger seat is the NPP battery mentioned above. They are available in pairs (hopefully same manufacture date) on Amazon. NPP is not a widely known manufacturer of AGMs and makes them in China, but nothing else I could find came close to fitting. I'm taking chance with these...

-DaveG

mtnmasher

Another thing to be aware of is that AGMs fall into three categories: Cranking, Dual Purpose, and Deep Cycle.

Cranking - Optimized for starting an engine. NOT good for RV use.
Dual Purpose - A compromise between Cranking and Deep Cycle. OK for RV use, but not as good as a Deep Cycle
Deep Cycle - Optimized for slow steady discharge, such as a Golf Cart. Ideal for RV use.

-DaveG

tesaje

When mine died in 2014, I replaced them with group 31 drop in LiFePO4. Twice the available amp hours at only 28 pounds each. Those old ones were a bear to get out of that hole. The LiFePO4, while pricey, have been really great. And amortized over the minimum 10 year life, are probably not more than lead acid.

TrailRunner

When mine died in 2014, I replaced them with group 31 drop in LiFePO4. Twice the available amp hours at only 28 pounds each. Those old ones were a bear to get out of that hole. The LiFePO4, while pricey, have been really great. And amortized over the minimum 10 year life, are probably not more than lead acid.
Did you need to upgrade the charging system?

Martincam

I would like to change my both deep cycle for LifePO4 as you did tesaje
I have been told to protect the alternator by adding a DC 2 DC 40 Amp because lithium batteries of 100 Ah each draw a lot of current
Did you add a DC2DC?
If yes; Where is the actual wire running from the alternator in order to add the DC2DC protector in line with it?
Thanks !

Top Bottom