CEL and trouble code frustration

carter.home

Jim Carter
I bought my 2004 Sprinter in December 2016. My CEL is on and have these 3 codes:
U0423 = Invalid Data Received From Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
P1926 = The P1926 SLA (shifter module) fault code (Ignore for Sprinter??)
2822 = (stored event) Engine off time

These codes came from Mercedes. My OBD reader only sees the U0423

I did have the famous trans adapter leak that soaked the TCU under the drivers seat. This has been repaired and I cleaned the connections and the TCU with contact cleaner. It never had any shifting problems. Could the TCU be bad and causing this?

Mercedes wants to replace the shifting parts for $1,200 and will not guaranty the problem will be resolved. Could this be the issue? (They also claimed they are disadvantaged because Dodge does not provide them with a wiring diagram. I will not return there.)

I have driven 5,000 miles and have no driving or operating symptoms, other than these 2:

1. The check engine light comes back on after a reset.
2. The odometer light comes back on after the normal 30+- second timeout. But is corrected by turning the key on and off.

I was just reading about a recall that updates the ECU and may cause at least some of the symptoms I have. I don't know the history of the rig before I bought it 12/2016.

to make things worse, I live in California and have 11 months before I need to get a smog check.

Any help appreciated.

Goofy foot

sliding left...
I think the P1926 code can be disregarded , and I don't think it causes the CEL. I get this code everytime I scan with an Xentry C3 and there are no Shifter issues. When you say these codes came from Mercedes, are you saying you took it to a MB dealership and they scanned it with their factory scan tool, and cleared that 2822 code and they all came back?

wattsupp

I have exactly the same symptoms as carter.home. Van was running great prior to RECALL and RE-Flash of ECM at Cole Dodge of San Luis Obispo. Everything seemed OK after re-flash so took it on 300mi trip. The MIL check engine light came on after a cold evening and restart the next morning. My INNOVA OBD reader gave errors : Uo423 Invalid data from instrument cluster and P2199 Intake Air Temperature 1/2 correlation. The van ran fine with the light on for 150 mi. So I cleared the MIL, drove 5 mi for gas. Upon restart, the MIL came on again. This time I read all the errors with my new iCarSoft MBII Sprinter scanner purchased from Matt on eBay. OBD codes: U0423 (2 times) -- DTC codes:
CDI: P2672, P2822-000, P0105
KI (instrument cluster): B1040-000, B1041-000, B1042-000, B1470-002, P10ff
WSP Immobilizer: No DTC
AB (Air Bag): 3-032
ABS: not supported in V11.20
EWM (shifter): P1926-000, P2508
EGS (TCM): P2311-000, P2312-000
HZR (HEATER): B1004-008,
ESP (Stability): 563E, 550B
CR (Common Rail): 2672-000 (3 times), 2822-000 (5 times)
Whew, thats a lot of errors. Using "The Complete Sprinter Fault Code Guide Volume 1: 2000-2006 North American Edition" by Eric J. Ord and from posts in this forum I was able to interpret all these codes. Because there are so many, I don't think the DTCs have ever been cleared over the 13 yr of the vehicle. So I cleared all the DTCs with the scanner. Only the EWM - P1926 code (1 time) remained. (seems like it is set as soon as power to the module). So with MIL light off I took it 20 mi of stop/go & FWY driving. No light but DTC codes CDI: P2822, EWM:P1926. When I restarted after 20 min shopping, the MIL light came on within one minute while leaving the parking lot. Van ran fine all the way home with the MIL on. Codes were then read: OBD: U0423 (2 times), CDI P2822, CR: P2822-000 (5 times), EWM: P1926-000, P2508. No other DTCs were set.
Although several codes are hard to interpret and seem to have multiple meanings, My take-away is that there is/was a problem with the Mass Air-flow Sensor and or IAT (I have also been monitoring these temperatures/pressures of the system) and there is also a CAN bus issue, likely a wiring or module issue. I will post more as I dig into the van.
P.S. for its price of $149 I have become a fan of the MBII scanner.

D

Deleted member 50714

I bought my 2004 Sprinter in December 2016. My CEL is on and have these 3 codes:
U0423 = Invalid Data Received From Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
P1926 = The P1926 SLA (shifter module) fault code (Ignore for Sprinter??)
2822 = (stored event) Engine off time

These codes came from Mercedes. My OBD reader only sees the U0423

I did have the famous trans adapter leak that soaked the TCU under the drivers seat. This has been repaired and I cleaned the connections and the TCU with contact cleaner. It never had any shifting problems. Could the TCU be bad and causing this?

Mercedes wants to replace the shifting parts for $1,200 and will not guaranty the problem will be resolved. Could this be the issue? (They also claimed they are disadvantaged because Dodge does not provide them with a wiring diagram. I will not return there.)

I have driven 5,000 miles and have no driving or operating symptoms, other than these 2:

1. The check engine light comes back on after a reset.
2. The odometer light comes back on after the normal 30+- second timeout. But is corrected by turning the key on and off.

I was just reading about a recall that updates the ECU and may cause at least some of the symptoms I have. I don't know the history of the rig before I bought it 12/2016.

to make things worse, I live in California and have 11 months before I need to get a smog check.

Any help appreciated.
On a 14-year-old vehicle, I would begin by inspecting the heart of the electrical system. The starter battery. Load test at local auto parts store. Inspect and clean all related posts, wires, cable and terminals. Paying attention to details, such as, terminal wire/cable connections. Particularly, the numerous grounds. Continue diagnostics tree. Do you have a service manual?

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
This thread here has the same engine off time code, in their case it was caused by the MB ecm update: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=548773 You could send your ECM to SOS diagnostics and have it flashed. Check your vin history to make sure it says MB has already flashed it so you're compliant for cali smog, then flash to the GDE tune from SOS, problem solved. Or you could replace your ignition cluster?? P1926 is a garbage irrelevant code, I get it too, it won't turn on the CEL. You could also check the CAN communication from the IC to whatever module threw that code.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you follow the T21 recall threads, some have required an instrument panel swap, too (as part of the recall: i.e. should be free)

--dick

areeevan

super awesome member
I’m having some of the many issues listed above in my 2004. The CAN Bus laundry list. The P2822. Among other errors that seem less functional in nature (the rig is low miles and runs great) yet makes the vehicle worthless with the CEL consistently lighting up. I’ve already spent enough money between multiple reputable mechanics to tell me im better served to resolve these CEL and code error issues myself.

I have 3 questions:
1) did you resolve the P2822 issue?
2) what does DTC mean when you are talking about codes, and clearing codes?
3) is there service manual recommended in order to run down the wiring diagnostic tree?

lindenengineering

I’m having some of the many issues listed above in my 2004. The CAN Bus laundry list. The P2822. Among other errors that seem less functional in nature (the rig is low miles and runs great) yet makes the vehicle worthless with the CEL consistently lighting up. I’ve already spent enough money between multiple reputable mechanics to tell me im better served to resolve these CEL and code error issues myself.

I have 3 questions:
1) did you resolve the P2822 issue?
2) what does DTC mean when you are talking about codes, and clearing codes?
3) is there service manual recommended in order to run down the wiring diagnostic tree?
P2822.
Pressure solenoid problem.
We frequently resolve that problem several times monthly.
DTC = diagnostic trouble codes
No real interactive manuals per se with up to date info, but on line with trade subscriptions such as Alldata , Mitchel ShopKey there is !

For DIY'rs there is an Alldata version which is fair for the money, but beware in the trade circles we call it NoData especially being way off on shop repair times
The latest renditions are by interactive colors with the circuit highlights which are very useful when doing circuit analysis.
Dennis .

Top Bottom