Remi Shades Offer from Heng's Industries

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I just got off the phone for the second time with Reed Qualls at Heng's Industries concerning Remi Shades. Here are details about the newest version of these, plus the latest Part Numbers and Pricing. There's a bit to explain here, so ask questions if you are confused.

I did not wish to steal the thunder from the older Thread concerning Remi Shades.
But I thought isolating this news into a new Thread might clear some of the cobwebs and make it easier to find.

Correct Part Numbers for Remi Shades as of the Latest Update (September 2017)
WITH Fire Resistant Material (required in US Vehicles)
WITH Lane Assist...

10066583 - Front Windshield (2013+) - Cost: $437.46
10066576 - Driver Side (2006+) - Cost: $222.03
10066578 - Passenger Side (2006+) - Cost: $222.03

WITHOUT Lane Assist...
1006581 - Front Windshield (2007 and older) - Cost: $359.38

Any Orders placed through Heng's will require a 5% Surcharge
-- I'm assuming, for use of your Credit Card.
(actually, they did not specify whether you could circumvent this by sending a check -- you can ask)

A Full Kit for units WITH Lane Assist, as listed above, comes to: $881.52
With the 5% added: $925.60 ($44.08 Surcharge) -- PLUS TAXES

NONE of these work in vehicles WITH Air Bags in the A Pillars.
NONE of these work in vehicles WITH Side Air Bags.

Brad Wall sent me an email stating he believes none of these have Air Bags in the A Pillars, and that they only exist in the Steering Wheel and above the Glove Box. Reed Qualls also feels that none of the vehicles coming to us from LTV include Side Air Bags. YOU must confirm this situation for YOUR vehicle before ordering.

NOTE: Using these in vehicles with A Pillar or Side Air Bags is VERY DANGEROUS.

DEAL OFFER from Heng's:

FREE SHIPPING to the Forum Members -- normally, this costs an additional $75 to $100, depending on where you live.

To place an order, contact Kim Grantham in Customer Service:
She can be reached best by Email: customerservice@hengsind.us

Or call the Office: 574-295-1200 (then ask for Kim Grantham)

Why the Part Numbers are Confusing!

The following numbers are listed at Remi's website -- but they are only appropriate for the Overseas Market. They are NOT correct for the US.

The following numbers were accurate for the US about 3 years ago -- but did not include the Fire Resistant Material.
10060405 (hard to find anywhere)
10021162 (often seen on Amazon and eBay)
10021163 (often seen on Amazon and eBay)
It is recommended that you do NOT buy these if you wish to stay in compliance and not run into possible issues with your insurance company should a fire break out.

As a side note...
I actually had most of this info last week, but I wanted to see if they might make a better offer for the Forum Members. Free Shipping seems like a nice bargain!

FINAL WORDS
Reed Qualls was very helpful with great insights.
a) INSTALLATION OF THE FRONT WINDSHIELD UNIT is the toughest because of binding. His suggestion tip:
Install both Side Pillar top attachments first. Insert the shades to see where the shades want to fall naturally. Then mark the lower attachment points. This will prevent them from binding. Do not simply measure and start screwing the attachments in place without the blinds inserted. He reassures me the install is relatively easy -- and especially the side units (they only require about 4 self-tapping screws and some washers).

b) This is the only product Heng's sells directly to the public. Every other product is sold through established Dealers. This might explain the much higher prices through those sources.

c) You must take advantage of this offer before January of 2018
because -- as of that time period -- even these will no longer be sold direct. You will have to buy through a Dealer starting in early 2018.

d) There is a price difference for the Fire Resistant versions from all earlier versions because that material costs more.

e) There will be another Price Increase in November 2017. So he suggests you buy before then.

You can reach out to Reed with further questions, but I hope I've covered everything here. He did say he's been inundated from the various Forums and does find it hard to respond to everyone in a timely fashion. So be patient. But he would rather answer your questions than ship items incorrectly that must be replaced, later.
Email: rqualls@hengsind.us
Office: 574-295-1200 (then ask for Reed Qualls)

Last edited:

mmsprinter

2018 LTV Unity MB
The current Sprinters have three airbags:
1) front: installed in the steering wheel above glovebox
2) window: installed in the roof frame above the door
3) side/thorax: installed in the seat
I don't see these being impacted by the Remi Shade locations

Scarecrow

For what it's worth, Reed Qualls forwarded this image -- in case anyone can confirm. He says an airbag anywhere within the red outlined area would be a disqualifier for using these. If an airbag in that region deployed, it would probably shatter the surrounding framework for the shade and send shards into body parts where they don't belong.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Attachments

Scarecrow

This is an excellent product but a little expensive for me.
In the event that you have a limited budget, there is always the Magne shade that are a good solution too.
http://www.magneshade.com
Good point. But this comes back to different perspectives. The appeal to the Remi Shades, for me, is convenience. When I pull into a parking lot of Walmart, or to go grocery shopping, or pull over to go hiking -- I want a quick and easy way to block the sun and hide personal items from prying eyes of passersby. The Magneshades are a deployment step I'd rather avoid when I can simply slide 4 shade sections into place -- and remove them just as easily.

The Magneshades seem like a great idea for Camping, but not for day-to-day deployment at every stop along the way.

I certainly agree with the cost issue.

I feel the same way about the outside heavy vinyl windshield cover I talked myself into buying. I will never use it because of the hassle of setting it up and fitting it to the cab -- unless I'm storing it for a month or more, or for the season. Setting that up at a Walmart would just be silly. (NOT that I'm calling the Magneshade idea "silly" -- it just serves a different purpose, in my humble opinion)

Both look very nice. The Magneshades look very clean. So do the Remis. And anything I can do to eliminate that 60s-style cab curtain will make me a happy camper.

mmsprinter

2018 LTV Unity MB
The MB Sprinter website and owners manual lists three air bags, one from the roof cavity above the door. I don't want to believe LTV has the airbags deleted to support shades !

Attachments

Normand

Scarecrown I fully agree with your comments.
The Magneshade are NOT designed for a daily use and certainly not in a Walmart.
Installation do take a few minutes only do, not much less than with a Remishade.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
actually, they did not specify whether you could circumvent this by sending a check
I saved the surcharge by paying cash over the counter--I was passing through Elkhart anyway. I just called ahead and made an appointment--they had the units waiting for me.

Scarecrow

Final Answer from Reed Qualls: There is no issue concerning the Air Bag locations. Feel free to order these Remi Part Numbers, if you wish. The key here is the Side Air Bags are "in the roof frame ABOVE the doors". I just wanted to be certain this issue was resolved.

Henry G

There must be a couple of versions of the 2017 Unity as how it is delivered. Our 2017 FX was ordered on February 7th. We picked up the "Little WOOF" on June 26th. Only regret is we probably wasted some serious money on stabilizers as we intend to have the Leveling System installed next year. Stabilizers work fine. Our FX came with Factory installed curtains in the front cabin area. They were not listed on the order form when we were ordering our Unity. Just assumed that all 2017 got these standard. Makes me wonder what differences there are out there. Wife and I love the FX. Looking forward to the Fletcher, NC 3 day meeting scheduled in October with our local group.

Scarecrow

In case anyone is following this thread -- this has turned into a NIGHTMARE.
I really need to caution everyone about sending money to Heng's Industries, based on my experience. The first shipment arrived so poorly-packed that several components were broken. The box had a loose end and the small support for the lower rod in the windshield area was missing. But I did not even know that because there was No Parts List, and No Instructions for installation. The Sales Rep, Reed Qualls, has been apologetic (while also admitting they've had shipping problems in the past), but it has taken several emails just to get them to understand my dilemma. I was first promised that replacement parts were shipping out immediately. They never arrived. On the 10th of this month, I was promised a complete NEW KIT was being shipped, having been packed personally by Reed. It is now the 18th and that has yet to show up. I have an out-of-town trip starting 10/21 -- so this could be a problem if it's left on the porch. I will need to ask a neighbor to keep an eye open.

There has been no forthcoming Tracking Number in any of these situations. I have just written Reed Quall's, yet again, today, asking for a status.

Honestly, if you wish to add these blinds to your RV, I'd think twice about ordering from Heng's.
The only reasonable price I've heard about on these (other than Heng's) were the deals that attendees at the Winkler Rally received -- about $800 less than what LTV quoted me for a direct shipment (I think someone posted $700, installed there vs. $1418 that I was quoted, BEFORE FREIGHT). If you can drive by Heng's, as AVANTI did, that may be a good option. I can see, now, one reason Heng's has decided not to sell these direct after February of 2018. They just can't get their act together.

I'm sorry to have to post this because Reed might be caught in the middle, but if I wait much longer I will need to dispute the charges on my credit card.

geds

2018 Serenity
I had sliding blinds on my Winnebago ERA that I traded for the 2018 Serenity. I HATED the sliding blinds! The magnetic locks to keep them closed had to be bungee tied every time or there was a gap. I had to fight the blinds to get them to hold close enough together to hook the mini bungee cord around them. And the darn things rattled even when cinched down and Velcroed in the open position!

For the Serenity, I order a sun screen that I unroll and place in the windshield and two suction cup mounted screens on the door windows. It takes less time, seals better, and MUCH BETTER insulates the cab. And when it wears out, I'll throw it away and order another one. No more fooling with slides and rails! And no more rattles right at my ear!

Yaktop

I had sliding blinds on my Winnebago ERA that I traded for the 2018 Serenity. I HATED the sliding blinds! The magnetic locks to keep them closed had to be bungee tied every time or there was a gap. I had to fight the blinds to get them to hold close enough together to hook the mini bungee cord around them. And the darn things rattled even when cinched down and Velcroed in the open position!

For the Serenity, I order a sun screen that I unroll and place in the windshield and two suction cup mounted screens on the door windows. It takes less time, seals better, and MUCH BETTER insulates the cab. And when it wears out, I'll throw it away and order another one. No more fooling with slides and rails! And no more rattles right at my ear!
Sounds like an installation issue. Zero issues, work great. Magnets are no issue. A roll out sunscreen is what we had. Hated that thing. So you have nothing for the side doors?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
We love our Remis. They are a bit finicky, especially the plastic strip magnets that peel off under excessive heat. I plan to replace them with a few little neodymium magnets epoxied in place. That should fix the issue for good.

MSDVLD

2016 Unity MB 15 Chassis
We love our Remis. They are a bit finicky, especially the plastic strip magnets that peel off under excessive heat. I plan to replace them with a few little neodymium magnets epoxied in place. That should fix the issue for good.
I would be interested in how this modification works out. We love the Remis shades but have the same issue with the magnetic strips...

geds

2018 Serenity
Sounds like an installation issue. Zero issues, work great. Magnets are no issue. A roll out sunscreen is what we had. Hated that thing. So you have nothing for the side doors?
The side (cab) door windows are held by suction cups. The windshield screen fits in place and is held in place by the framing around the windshield.

Top Bottom