HELP! Drive shaft boot damaged. Post #9 has Install Tips.

rob.rodri18

I was looking under my sprinter today and realized that my drive shaft boot is missing part of its boot. Where can I purchase a new one and how difficult is it to replace?? Learning more and more about my sprinter everyday. If there is an existing thread please let me know!

2002 Dodge sprinter 158" WB 75k
new to me sprinter conversion van in the works!

Last edited:

rob.rodri18

Re: HELP! Drive shaft boot damged.

Thanks for the quick reply. What other recommendations do you have for this fix? meaning should i grease the pinon before installing new boot?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Re: HELP! Drive shaft boot damged.

Thanks for the quick reply. What other recommendations do you have for this fix? meaning should i grease the pinon before installing new boot?
Quoth the service manual:
(3) Coat propeller shaft spline with universal grease.
(4) Push rubber boot onto propeller shaft.

... greasing sure sounds like the recommended procedure...

--dick

I'm trying to figure out if this is a simple job I can do in place or if I need to bring the whole driveshaft out which in that case I might have a shop do it and replace it with a while kit that has the bearing, carrier, and boot

Did you have to take the whole driveshaft out to slide the boot in or were you able to do it in place.

Van out

I'm trying to figure out if this is a simple job I can do in place or if I need to bring the whole driveshaft out which in that case I might have a shop do it and replace it with a while kit that has the bearing, carrier, and boot

Did you have to take the whole driveshaft out to slide the boot in or were you able to do it in place.
I wondered the same thing. But it appears, according to the manual, that you will have to remove the four bolts on the rear end at minimum.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The manual seems clear to me. Remove the 4 bolts at the pinion flange. pull the shaft out at the slip. Clean and grease the slip, install the new boot and shaft.

I suggest you mark the position of the slip joint before removing, otherwise the balance could be affected. You want to go back into the same position on the splines.

The manual seems clear to me. Remove the 4 bolts at the pinion flange. pull the shaft out at the slip. Clean and grease the slip, install the new boot and shaft.

I suggest you mark the position of the slip joint before removing, otherwise the balance could be affected. You want to go back into the same position on the splines.
Yeah I think going with this, I inspected the bearing and everything looks and sounds good so I'm just going to replace the boot.
EuropartsSD carries boot kit

Happy to report that replacing the boot without removing the carrier bearing is possible I was able to do get it done and didn't even jack the van.

The shop manual was helpful here are some tips on how to get it done without lifting the van on a 2500. A 3500 with 15inch tires might be too low.

Before anything else make sure you are able to see the alignment arrows on both sections otherwise roll the van a bit until you're able to see the marks, mine were line up at the clamp crimps so it was easy to keep everything line up but I also made a mark on the axle flange.

Most important thing is to chuck the wheels, than let the van roll on to the chucks and put in park and pull the E-brake tight.
By doing all three you make sure your axle doesn't move so you can unbolt the driveshaft from the axle slide it out over the top off the axle.
Pull the whole drive shaft out remove the old clamps, clean up and grease the splines.

Setting the boot and crimping on the driveshaft side while it's out, makes that side much easier to just do that side.

Re insert the driveshaft and torque to spec. (Leaving the torque spec out because you should still look at the shop manual before doing the job)

The most difficult part was getting all four bolts to line up in the back I had to use a wooden stick through the flange holes to get all four bolts in.
Keep in mind that unlike a wheel you are dealing with multiple axis due to the both u joins.

Last edited:

vanjohnson

Happy to report that replacing the boot without removing the carrier bearing is possible I was able to do get it done and didn't even jack the van.

The shop manual was helpful here are some tips on how to get it done without lifting the van on a 2500. A 3500 with 15inch tires might be too low.

Before anything else make sure you are able to see the alignment arrows on both sections otherwise roll the van a bit until you're able to see the marks, mine were line up at the clamp crimps so it was easy to keep everything line up but I also made a mark on the axle flange.

Most important thing is to chuck the wheels, than let the van roll on to the chucks and put in park and pull the E-brake tight.
By doing all three you make sure your axle doesn't move so you can unbolt the driveshaft from the axle slide it out over the top off the axle.
Pull the whole drive shaft out remove the old clamps, clean up and grease the splines.

Setting the boot and crimping on the driveshaft side while it's out, makes that side much easier to just do that side.

Re insert the driveshaft and torque to spec. (Leaving the torque spec out because you should still look at the shop manual before doing the job)

The most difficult part was getting all four bolts to line up in the back I had to use a wooden stick through the flange holes to get all four bolts in.
Keep in mind that unlike a wheel you are dealing with multiple axis due to the both u joins.

This might be a dumb question... but the only bolts you took out were the 4 by the rear axle then the driveshaft comes out, or did you also have to take out the intermediate bearing, the support brace, and the retaining bracket?

This might be a dumb question... but the only bolts you took out were the 4 by the rear axle then the driveshaft comes out, or did you also have to take out the intermediate bearing, the support brace, and the retaining bracket?

My write up was strictly about replacing the boot not the carrier or anything else so just the four bolts. to slide the section of that drive shaft on a 158"

Top Bottom