MOAB Adventure Wagon Bed Install and short review

Tribeof5

I put a deposit on this same bed system in September. Have not received it as of yet. I received the install kit, but have not installed it yet. I did install two of their overhead Mule bags and really like them. I am anxious to receive the bed kit. I will be installing the bed into a 144 passenger van. However, I will be working around 1 CRL window in the drivers side.

^^
Tribe, How much forgiveness is there with the mounting of the Mule overhead bags? I have L-Track on the ceiling and upper walls, but not quite 14" on center from corner. More like 14.5" on bottom and 16" on top. Would like to use the MOAB bags but may have to make special brackets to fit.

jbrownmxr

^^
Tribe, How much forgiveness is there with the mounting of the Mule overhead bags? I have L-Track on the ceiling and upper walls, but not quite 14" on center from corner. More like 14.5" on bottom and 16" on top. Would like to use the MOAB bags but may have to make special brackets to fit.
Ive got full RUV kit that I installed at the Adv Wagon shop. The bags might have a little give (1/8) but no more than. Everything in this kit fits tightly which in my book is good.

And for what it’s worth I LOVE the bags. My favorite part of the upfit. By far.

JB

Tribeof5

The bags do not have much wiggle room at all. I had my L Track installed prior to buying the bags. I had to make brackets to mount to the wall track in order to hang the Mule bags. I will say just like others have, that we love the bags and the storage they provide.

MotoXPress

Unfortunately, the mounting system/bracer for the MOAB interferes with the sliding windows on a 170, so it's the bed or the windows! I guess I'll be looking for a new bed system.
You can notch out the vertical support braces or move your windows 5" forward to avoid any interference with the smaller windows.

mtbkers

Thanks for uploading. I've been on the fence about their Moab vs Monk Bunks for a little while.

So, for those of you who've installed the bracers/L track, do the two things have to be directly attached to one another? I already made panels with plywood/foam/tweed, etc. and would rather not have to make new ones. I'm wondering if it's ok to put the bracer in against the van, then put my wall panel back and then put Ltrack on the top (I would ask AdWag to swap out the recessed Ltrack with track that sits on top with the sloped edges).

By putting the plywood wall in between the bracer and the track, would it put undue stress on the bolts that attach the two (when sleeping in the bed)?

Last edited:

jbrownmxr

I’ve installed them. “Could” you put plywood between? I suppose it’s possible and there’s only one way to find out. Personally I would just make new panels as I’d be concerned the plywood sandwich failing over time. I doubt AdWag would sign on to this.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
For reference.

Pictures of install on Passenger 144" HR Sprinter. Factory rear windows. Fit fine, install the same. If you have vented CRL windows in rear the rear support will not clear up top unless you notch it. Great alternative for passenger vans as the vertical braces on the side will clear the rear seats.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg

Thanks for uploading. I've been on the fence about their Moab vs Monk Bunks for a little while.

So, for those of you who've installed the bracers/L track, do the two things have to be directly attached to one another? I already made panels with plywood/foam/tweed, etc. and would rather not have to make new ones. I'm wondering if it's ok to put the bracer in against the van, then put my wall panel back and then put Ltrack on the top (I would ask AdWag to swap out the recessed Ltrack with track that sits on top with the sloped edges).

By putting the plywood wall in between the bracer and the track, would it put undue stress on the bolts that attach the two (when sleeping in the bed)?
I don't see why you couldn't. The plywood will provide a solid structural spacer. You may have to use longer bolts/cap screws, depending on the length provided to attach the track to the bracer. Make sure your bolts make it out the back side of the bracer.

Remember that you have multiple bolts supporting the track and it is a system.

I can give you example of similar fastening system with spacing. I use Elfa garage wall systems. They use a top track that is fastened to the the top header 2x4 of the wall with screws (I believe #10 which is < 1/4) every 8". The screws go through the track (similar in concept to l track) then the 5/8" sheet rock then into the 2x4. Fasteners are spaced at 8" intervals and it is rated to support 100 pounds per linear foot.

I don't think fastening through plywood will be a weak link in your system.

IMHO

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
For those who live in So Cal...I now stock a few Mule Bags and MOAB beds...so you can actually look at one before you decide to get one. Price is same as ADWAG, and more importantly I will give you tips on how to install in person, this can be a very big help as I have a lot of tricks to make the install easier, especially the Mule bag...and the L track you will need to put in your van to mount them. PM me for more details.

jbrownmxr

And to add to Slamit I’m in OC and have the RUV kit you can look at. I installed mine about 9 months ago and love it.

Last edited:

Bikes!

For reference.

Pictures of install on Passenger 144" HR Sprinter. Factory rear windows. Fit fine, install the same. If you have vented CRL windows in rear the rear support will not clear up top unless you notch it. Great alternative for passenger vans as the vertical braces on the side will clear the rear seats.

View attachment 95200

View attachment 95201

View attachment 95202

View attachment 95203

View attachment 95204
Sorry to dig up an older thread... Did the passenger trim need to be modified at all to fit the system? Or just removed to drill/install rivets, then trim reinstalled (and drilled) with the rails on the outside of the trim? Thanks!

dynaco1

Slamit,,

Glancing back to September 2017 to revisit your first posting in this series. I see where you rate the MOAB design:

"Engineering. 8.5 (Only suggestion is they could make the attachment stronger...but that requires welding and is beyond most DIY, this is one of the best "bolt on" solutions going currently and is by far the cleanest engineered beds in the market)"

Do you feel the same way today? Is the attachment less secure than it was immediately following installation? Or, has AW beefed-up the vertical brackets or fasteners since then?

Last edited:

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
No modification of trim is needed on the passenger van. Do not remove the trim...its a big mess if you do, its glued on with double sided tape and does not remove easily.

I haven't had a complaint or issue from any customers I have installed the bed on with anything becoming weak that I am aware of. Overall its a good design. It isn't cheap, but for what it would cost to build one of these (time and engineering effort it would require) and ease of how it installs and works, it is worth the money in my opinion if you need an adjustable bed for the average DIYer. Adwag however needs to offer a solution to drop the bed lower as a "bolt on" as part of their costs. This is an option with the newer Transit version. I have seen other versions of adjustable beds that are very similar, none of them perfect, but they don't just "bolt in" like this one.

dynaco1

I agree with you. I like AW's rear corner vertical track designed for the Transit and wonder if AW could make the same design for the Sprinter to allow the MOAB to be mounted lower and to avoid covering the rear window well.

Last edited:

Not that anyone asked...

I don't understand why they don't include hand twist nuts. The forces are most all in sheer. Hand nuts would secure the bed without the need for tools.

HandNutMoab.jpg

HandNut.jpg

Owners can purchase them.

:2cents: vic

JPsVantage

Thank you for all the posts. Question: I have a low roof, cargo and would like to install the MOAB bed at a lower height around 28". I am wondering if it is possible to install the side rails right to my 144" frame--without the vertical supports. Any thoughts if this would work?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Thank you for all the posts. Question: I have a low roof, cargo and would like to install the MOAB bed at a lower height around 28". I am wondering if it is possible to install the side rails right to my 144" frame--without the vertical supports. Any thoughts if this would work?
You need their support system...in theory you could find a way to mount L track in rear and get it to work, you just have to find a way to mount it. The front is no problem; riv-nut just like they do, the rear there is nothing to riv-nut into. It would not be difficult to do...if you could weld or get creative in mounting for a lower bed; but then if I had someone who wanted that type of bed I would build one for half the cost for that height unless they need the adjustment from window down. I can think of ways I would do it for not a whole lot except for some L track. You need to do their spacing 52.75 for the rail mounts to center of L track.

Top Bottom