Help installing backup camera with reverse light relay

Thenewguy

05 Sprinter
My experience is very limited. So, I've gotta ask, I bought a simple relay, and I want to wire my rearview camera into my reverse light power.

Is there a specific wire under the driver's seat of my 2005 t1n to connect it and ground the relay?

Thanks.

My experience is very limited. So, I've gotta ask, I bought a simple relay, and I want to wire my rearview camera into my reverse light power.

Is there a specific wire under the driver's seat of my 2005 t1n to connect it and ground the relay?

Thanks.

I just powered the camera from the reverse light bulb / harness wire itself. It works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ECU

I found the wire coming from the shifter to power my backup system. wired direct, no relay. No wires under the seat to backup signal.

Thenewguy

05 Sprinter
Hey guys, I just decided to wire into my reverse light, and then wire the monitor/rearview cam into the overhead light in the front of the van. Just piggybacked onto the wires.

Tools need:

16 Gauge Piggybacks and wire (To extend to the reverse light)
Wire Stripper to check circuits
Circuit Checker (Saved me so much headache once I purchased it)

.... I sadly installed my back-up cam upside down. I bought a very cheap monitor/rearview mirror, and although the rearview has to be installed upside down for now, I am super happy with the result.

I think I may try to crack open the case and flip the screen inside, this way the mirror is in the correct orientation. Although, the image will still need to be upside down in order for the camera not to be reversed.

I could open the camera and flip the actual orientation of the lense, but if I flip the entire unit, it would point towards the sky.

For now, I don't mind at all if it's upside down. The image is relatively clear, and all I needed was a confidence boost for parallel parking, and backing up.

ALSO: Make sure your connection is full plugged in when reinstalling to the tail light, mine was partially in, resulting in my turn signal not working and a fast signal, which made me spend my entire afternoon checking fuses and searching for an issue that was as simple as plugging it in all the way.

Was pulling into a parking garage today, saw the 8' sign as I was about to pull in, stopped dead in my tracks, and rolled back then had to find alternative parking. Fun!

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

Last edited:

Top Bottom