power loss, need help..

teamtarkio

Hi, I'm new to the Forum but very excited to find ya'll.
Yes I have a problem with my 04 high roof 140.
It started a few days ago, I'll crank it up it runs fine, even rev it up to 3500rpms, everything is normal. Once I get going for a few, it stops allowing me to get over 2600rpms. No warning lights light up
That makes a slow sprinter. I'm guessing a bad sensor somewhere.
Any ideas??

TimJuhl

Do a search of "power loss" and a lot of info will show up. Most commonly the problem seems to be a failed turbo resonator which causes the vehicle to go into "limp home" mode. If you have a Scangauge or code reader that might point you towards the problem as well.

Tim

Pascal

Hi,

I just got the same thing today (again). Lost of power, boost down to minimum, load to max. I was going up hill and it happened. This happened few times on and off. I did change the resonator and I have the Q5 model. I stopped the engine and everything went back to normal. Wonder if it is a sensor or the little gasket from the resonator popping slightly out and let escape the pressure. Toop a picture of the scan gauge. Oh, and there is no code or engine light on. Once I had a code and the engine light was on, then i reset it and everything was fine.

Attachments

The turbo resonator is just one component. Clamps can come loose, the hoses can split, but look OK until deformed (crushed down or squashed by hand) to show where the crack is. As Tim said, do a search. Hope this does some good. AP

Last edited:

blower

i had a very similar power loss problem , it turned out the intercooler had split at the seems , not obvious untill removed ,

Pascal

I noticed that the air temp on the intake is never the same has the air temp outside when driving. At idle the outside air temp is the same as the intake air temp but as soon as you drive it changes. The more the load increases and the more the air intake temp increases. This is from the scan gauge reading.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The IAT is reading the air temperature -just- before it goes into the cylinders.
After the Turbocharger (which heats it up by the action of compression),
after the Intercooler (which cools it back down a bit).

So you can expect it to be a few degrees above ambient (outside), with the "few" being affected by the turbo.
But it probably would not exceed (say) 50 F above ambient unless you were fully loaded and racing up Pike's Peak.
It should defintely not be saying 165 F on a 40 F day one minute after starting. (a tale from Real Life(tm)).

--dick

Last edited:

Pascal

I replaced the intake air sensor today and so far it is running well. When I removed the old sensor, it was covered with oil and very very dirty/greasy. Maybe that was the problem.... In the morning I was towing my trailer and I had again a lost of power and this time a code came up (P0299) I did a reset and everything went back to normal. I hope the new sensor took care of this problem.

About the temperature in the intake. I watched it today with the scan gauge and it did go up to 120 degree when under 90% load going up a hill.

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
up to 120 F
Yes, but what was the "ambient" temp?
(next time, tap the clock button to display ambient, and aim the camera a little higher...)
I -think- that the ECU can also read the ambient temp, and complains if the IAT and the ambient don't correlate properly
(it knows how much boost it's asking for, so if it's not boosting and sees a high IAT compared to ambient, it may take that into account)

good luck
--dick

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Interestingly not everyone has the ambient temp sensor with display feature, just those with aircon.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
MIG wrote:
Interestingly not everyone has the ambient temp sensor with display feature, just those with aircon.
Fascinating.. Since (all?) retail Sprinters in the US have AirCon, the manuals don't mention that the ambient sensor might be an option.
-----

But, back to the question: given a starting point of 74 F, you're only seeing a rise of 35 F, with a doubling of pressure.
I don't think that's excessive ... especially since you're pumping 72 liters per second (80mph, 3200 rpm, 2.7 L, 4-stroke) through the system at the moment the photo was taken (as he's moving down the road at 117 feet per second...:eek:).

--dick

Pascal

I never thought the intake temp would rise that high . Back to the lost of power . Since I changed the intake temp sensor, the truck is really running better. :bounce:

Jrmorgan

Are we under attack? There a computer virus in our systems? I asked for help in anther thread that I posted about engine power lose. The first time the engine went into limp mode, 2500 rpm max slow as hell. Posted my problem. Got an answer about maybe starting too fast before the computer was fully up. restarted the truck and all was well.
Today took the truck out shifting was very strange, winding out in the gears. lose of power going up a hill. checked scan gauge, no code. a little time later engine light comes on. Check for a code on Scan got the PO299. Killed the truck at a light, and restarted. RPM went up when I hit gas, no "limp Mode". When into gear and no real power like turbo is gone. Parked in a Home depot did my business, started truck went home. Engine still on laboring up hills, but was able to hit 55 on flats and down hill. So I was playing with scan gauge and cleared the code. Engine light goes out feels like full power is back but shifting seems still off.
Any ideas would be helpful. Seems computer, senor, related? From reading here no one has a full understanding of this Code PO299 deal.
Thanks as always for your great help guys!
- John

Pascal

John

I had the same code P0299. I changed the resonator (Q5) and it did not do anything. The code was different at that time but I still had the same problem and I was losing power. I did not get a code or engine light but once in a while i got the same code as you got. Last time it happened I was pulling my trailer. Then few days ago, I change the intake air sensor and the truck got its full power back. My sensor was extremely dirty and cover with oil, very nasty. Now it is awesome and i get my max speed even going up hills (like before).
Try the intake temp sensor. I keep a spare one now in my glove box. Good luck

Pascal

Top Bottom