power loss, need help..

John,
Is there any consistency with mileage or time for this failure? I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a mileage or time period that as with a starting battery, you just know it's gonna fail....... the question is not if, but sooner or later. Thanks. AP/vic
I have seen them go out with as little as 50k on and with factory equipment as long as 360k!
No consistency. Just wise to keep them on hand.

John

talkinghorse43

Can't say I really looked before, but at the last EGR cleaning for my '02, I noticed the hose to the EGR seemed to be bulging near the hose clamp. Also seemed unusually flexible at that point. Maybe it's like radiator hoses; maybe they need to be replaced when they begin to show signs of deterioration (unusually hard or soft)?

10Kids

I also had a split charge hose but the symptoms were slightly different:

Symptoms:

1) Power was surging
2) Puffs of smoke while goin up hill
3) Bost pressure would build and then suddenly be lost
4) Hissing sound could be heard in high boost situations
5) No hissing at idle
6) Squeezing the hoses did not expose the problem when charged at moderate pressure
7) Oil deposits on intercooler exit hose and surrounding area

Diagnosis:
Intercooler exit hose had a split at the bottom. This is the hose behind the left headlamp.

2004 with ariginal hose, 231,000 miles. Original resonator replaced at 210,000 miles. Van was an airport shuttle in Atlanta GA for the first 220,000 miles and never saw hills. We live in a hilly part of NY state and the hills split the weak hose.

Check all turbo hoses for splits and oil leaks. 2 times i had this problem, Once was a cracked hose just below the temp sensor on the right side of engine and the second time the conditions were the same sounding and it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. Good luck.

ZED

Sprinter Newbie
The manual for the Unimog has you replacing pretty much every rubber part every two years whether it's turned a wheel in that time or not. So, I'm thinking a hose in this sort of service (heat, oil mist, pressure) is probably due for a replacement every few years also. I may just replace mine before the summer trips for good measure.

Top Bottom