stopped starting. key turns over fine but engine wont catch/run. no warning lights

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
i was out on a long drive and pulled in for gas. once there the engine wouldn't start again

the starter motor sounds like its turning over fine, and it has a new battery which has plenty of power. there are no warning lights and if i spray a flammable gas into the air intake it'll start and run without any problems. glow plug light is coming on and going out as expected.

not sure what could be causing it. everything sounds healthy, the engine just wont kick in. any ideas?

please and thank you

... if i spray a flammable gas into the air intake it'll start and run without any problems. ...
First thing that I would check would be fuel rail pressure while cranking. It needs to be 2900 psi or higher for reliable starting.

Another possibility might be a stuck open EGR, if you even have that.

Low compression should be considered if nothing else is found to be amiss.

vic

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
thanks for your reply. after a bit of reading it seems i have an EGR, but it looks like it would be throwing warning signals on the dash, and probably running in limp home mode if that was the issue, so i'm going to check out fuel pressure 1st.

i haven't got access to a OBD2 scanner. i'm going to try and follow this guide
http://www.mercedes.gen.in/sprinter-fuel-rail-pressure-regulator-problems-poor-starting/
and replace the o-rings and hope that solves the issue. if not i'll either have to get a scanner, or take it to a mechanic and have it checked

i'll also chuck one of those fuel system cleaner bottles into the fuel tank as a test to see if that helps it to start

D

Deleted member 50714

Originally Posted by Andy at Focallocal View Post
... "if i spray a flammable gas into the air intake it'll start and run without any problems. ..."

Curious, what flammable gas are you spraying into the air intake?

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
any will do the job, its not good for the engine though.

this time i'm using deodorant (not antiperspirant). a couple of years ago when i had a similar issue i used air-freshener until i found a fix for it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It could also be a bad camshaft or crankshaft sensor (or wiring harness)

Unless you're really saying that the "starter fluid" allows it to *start*, and thereafter it *continues to run on diesel* until you shut it off??

That would point to an under-performing high pressure pump or leaky pressure relief (fuel return) valve that the higher "starter rpm" the spray gives you overcomes.

Fascinating.

--dick

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
yes, it runs fine once i've started it up using the spray into the air intake. i drove around 40miles and it was just as normal, so it looks to me like a pressure issue.

as i lack access to a tool to check engine pressures i'm going to try the simplest repair and just replace the o-ring seal on the fuel pressure regulator. i'm trying to work out if its this part or not: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Merce...149041&hash=item4407b2a308:g:8BoAAOSwCQZZKBhQ

seems difficult to work out exactly what seal i need without buying the full kit

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
unexpected update:

the van is starting on its own again, and i didn't do any work on it yet.

was it perhaps just a blockage that cleared? or maybe the problem occurs when the engine heats up? (it was after a long drive that it happened before). if so that would still likely be worn seals causing reduced engine pressure, right??

Good to hear you are back to normal... for now.

was it perhaps just a blockage that cleared? or maybe the problem occurs when the engine heats up? (it was after a long drive that it happened before). if so that would still likely be worn seals causing reduced engine pressure, right??
Without proper diagnostics and troubleshooting I don't believe anyone can give a meaningful response.

vic

D

Deleted member 50714

Yes, that is the unfortunate reality of modern vehicles. Expensive diagnostic instruments, training, knowledge and experience essential.

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
thanks guys. struggling to start again, so i'm going to replace the o-rings 1st and see if that solves the issue as its a cheap solution. if not then i'll have to pony up and take it to a mechanic and with an OBD-2 sensor to get the engine levels read

while searching around i came across this for a few quid extra: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PRES...80160512-0000781889-0003097V002-/281032500314

would you guys expect any issues putting one of these in? perhaps upsetting a sensor? or long term increased wear on the engine?

it doesnt show as being 2002 311 compliant, but the part looks to be identical other than the increased bore size

Top Bottom