Introduce yourself

JonnyBoats

Wow - that must be a rust bucket underneath all that insulation.
Actually I don't know, but I don't think so. In any case it has not rusted through to the outside either underneath or on the sides of the van. The interior is all fiberglass and well sealed. There are two floor drains forward where water can flow out via duckbill valves. One could quite literally hose out the back of the van without any problem.

Currently, I plan to leave the fiberglass and insulation in place as if I remove it I would just have to replace it with some sort of insulation and interior sheathing. When I removed the refrigeration unit there appears to be about 3 inches of insulation in the ceiling I am guessing the same amount in the walls.

The big thing I worried about was that it might smell like rotten fish, but there is no order whatsoever.

Pooleo6797

Hello! I'm Jason from Michigan. Purchased an 07 jeep wk a few months ago. Had a limp mode so got it on the cheap. I've done a full delete and stage 2 tune. Currently having I think a fueling issue. Replaced the fuel regulator in the rail and now having random no starts or starting with no throttle. I'll be browsing around?

fat pat

2015 MB 2500, High roof, 2.1l
Hello, Patrick here. Just purchased a 2015 NCV3 with 2.1l diesel. My wife and I are planning to travel form home (San Diego) to Portland, Maine in August to be with our daughter for the birth of our first grandchild. Due to Covid, we need to do our best to stay isolated on the way and I thought the Sprinter would be a good way to avoid people while traveling.
About me: 59 years old, married, two grown kids, unemployed (Covided), Navy veteran.
I plan to do as much as I can to get the rig ready for basic travel prior to departure.
Thanks for all who make this site available and so useful. Apologies in advance for all of my NOOB questions.

johnc711

Hey dudes! I'm a forty year old bay area geek ready to get to work on a NCV3 project. About ready to pull the trigger on a 170 non-extended passenger. Decided to give up on the 4x4 and 3500 (although I love the ride quality of the dually) and invest in some good snows for winter travel. I've enjoyed the forum so far! Does quarantine get any better than a van build ??? ??

Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Hey hey,

I just picked up a 2003 144 OM612 T1N. I'm a long-time DIYer, and maker of things. Been up in the bay area for a couple years now, probably won't leave the coast unless someone makes me do it. Previously had a westy, never owned a diesel. I've been wanting something to wrench on, and I'm looking forward to learning. This site is awesome!

Cheers,
Mike

JPalmer

Howdy all!
Jeff here from WV. Me and the missus just picked up a 2018 Winnebago EA 70A on 2016 M-B 3500 Sprinter chassis and our love affair with the road is about to begin. First Sprinter so I'm here for an education to learn the tips and tricks, and maybe share a few of my own.....eventually.

xyllion

Hi everybody, Bob from San Jose, CA here. I don't own a Sprinter, yet, but plan to do so this winter. Right now, I am reading and reading and reading. So, I'll probably quietly being reading the forums for a while.

Planning to do a camper van conversion so that the wife and I can take some weekends to the beach and possibly some longer trips in the summers. I've done some research and have a few thoughts in my head:
  • Want a fixed bed. Neither wife nor I want to convert the bed every night and morning.
  • Really don't want propane in the van. Wondering if it is possible to carry a couple of small canisters outside for a camping stove. Although, the beach campgrounds tend to allow wood and alcohol burning. So, I may go that path for an outdoor stove.
  • Can't decide on indoor or outdoor shower. Leaning towards outdoor because I don't want to lose the space for that purpose plus making a water tight shower doesn't sound like fun to me.
  • Haven't seen too many builds online starting from a passenger van. I'd like to see some builds that have done this. The windows excite and scare me. I wonder if I just end up block off the windows most of the time.
  • I assume I'll spend a bunch on the electrical system. As an electrical engineer and licensed amateur radio operator, I'm aware of the necessities for doing this safely. I won't skimp on cost here. I'll do this right.
  • I'd like to sometimes take my kayak which is a very heavy Hobie. Not sure that I'll be able to get it on the roof. So, that may require a trailer.
All in all, I'm very excited. This is a huge step up from tent camping. Now that I'm in my 50s, sleeping on the ground doesn't thrill me anymore.

Piha

Greetings one & all.

UK based potential MB Sprinter owner. I need a good quality and robust base van for the build for me and my travelling companion.

Bruce & Suede the dog.

bmeaux

Greetings. I am retired U.S. Navy and Deputy Sheriff. Own a 2010 MB Sprinter and love to travel. Have been following the forum for some time so thought it was time to "come out" and intro myself. Wish all a blessed and safe day.
Bob Moore

ttexasg

Howdy. Long time follower, first time poster. Recently bought a 2005 Great West Legend on a 2004 Sprinter. Already making modifications, and fixing problems. This site is invaluable. I hope to contribute to the wealth of knowledge here. I'm a jack of many trades and master of few. I can turn a wrench with the best of them though!

Jared18

Hello all, I'm Jared I'm from SoCal and recently got a 2011 sprinter I'll use it for my business and hopefully be able to use for camping on weekends

P

Patrick walsh

Patrick here.

Picked up a silver 2019 4x4 loaded when they were hard to get still about 1.5 years ago.

Done nothing to it but that’s about to slowly start to change.

Im a custom cabinet maker by trade “and not the production line kind” like small shop Uber high end on the crust of furniture maker. I’ve actually been making pipe organs the last two years.

When I got the sprinter bug I just needed a new work truck. But I also at the same time caught wind of the camper conversions and with my cabinetry background stemming out of residential high end custom home building figured I could build something nice myself.

Anyway that’s me,

My intention is a simple but high end build out at I’m well a cabinet maker and picky as it gets. Ordered a t-vent slider door window and maxair. That should get me started. From there I’ll go flares then electrical, then heat, then sound deadening, then floor, insulation and finally paneling. My intent is to do the outside up right also but man the $$ is just ridiculous even doing all the labor yourself.

I suspect this will take me a couple to few years to fully finish.

anyway.

Docpaulo

Family physician and decided to take a break this year for the family..last year was extra stressful..

bought a van for a roadtrip... will be driving criss cross country next 2 mos while kids are out of school...

Lucked out on a nicely optioned 2019 4x4 144wb pssenger.. should've bought one a long time ago

Navion_Owner

Hello everyone, name here is Mike and along with my wife, Kim, we're about to sign on a 2009 Navion 24H coach (Dodge Sprinter 3500 chassis). I'm kind of a hands on guy and like to do my own maintenance if possible so joined this group to get me through the learning curve.
Right off the bat the Mercedes-Benz / V6 reminds me a lot of an earlier 2003 Jetta TDI we used to own. Hoses, connectors, filters, etc all look very German auto to me. We had that Jetta for ~17 years and put 200K miles on it before letting go. Hoping the coach holds up as well.
Anyway, the new rig has 36K miles on it and looks well kept for a 12 year old vehicle. If I've done my homework so far it looks as though the transmission is due for an oil change soon (40K...right). As soon as we get it home I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and see what else needs fixing. Don't be hesitant to chime in with advice or relevant web-pages to help out. We have a planned winter trip in November so lots of time to get this rig in top shape. We usually head south (Mexico, SoCal, etc) for the winter and get back home by spring. Three to five months on the road is a typical winter for us (2000K to 5000K miles). We're both retired now and the new coach looks like the ticket.
Thanks in advance...Mike

GingerK

Hi All, New here and as like most, starting my build. I have ZERO experience and looking at this as a big project I know I can achieve with the help of the internet and some friends! I have a 2013 Sprinter and plan to be on the Road May-2022 so 8 months from now! I will then be on the road for up to one year travelling the US! Can't wait to go through this adventure with you all!

Hi! New Sprinter 4x4 2500 owner here. I live in Metro-Colorado Springs. New to the whole van "thing".

Retired and looking to take my wife, dogs, and motorcycle on some trips across the country. Don't plan to do an "RV" type conversion. Mostly wanted the ability to comfortably travel with 3 dogs and a motorcycle all inside the van rather than trailer the motorcycle (although I have a trailer if I trailer some of my bigger bikes). I also plan to use it to travel to PRS/NRL type shooting matches and be able to carry all my gear.

Looking to insulate, sound deaden, wall line it, add a dometic roof fan (air conditioner maybe later), Kargo Master shelves and then figure out some type of motorized loading device to load the motorcycle inside the Van.

Looking forward to reading through the forums to learn how to do it myself!

Glad to be here!

Top Bottom