Click no start- some tips.

BlueNote

2010 sprinter chassis for a camper. Had the classic intermittent “turn key no start”. After several cycles would start. No rhyme or reason to the madness. Replace the 8 inch copper “ground strap” between left engine mount bolt and body near left wheel well. $10 or so from the dealer. No more issues. It’s been a month since the repair. Ground strap didn’t look that bad at all, but . . . . Grounds are fickle things.

This forum saved me a lot of money!!!
Thanks for this. I have the same year MB Sprinter with the same issue. A new battery helped, but I still get the odd click-no-start happening. I'm going to try your fix next.
Cheers.

Navin Johnson

Can you post a picture of the wire that you are referring to, please?
Sprinter ground cable .jpg
Hopefully this will suffice. This area is below the washer fluid reservoir. Engine mount bolt is a 16mm if i remember correctly, and the chassis end (which the picture shows) is a 13mm. A long, or stack of several shorter, extensions is helpful; as is a swivel or wobble short socket for the engine mount bolt. I cut a few zip ties to free a wire bundle that was in the way which made it way easier. After one gets the tool combination right, it's a fairly straight forward job. The engine mount bolt is a bit blind and access is kinda of a pain, but certainly doable. When installing the new part, I emery clothed all connections to a shine and gooped the connections with Dow Corning compound 4, an electrical insulating compound that is my go-to for anything electrical or rubber (like o-rings). But i'm sure any dielectric grease would work. I put a fair amount over all mating surfaces and let the mechanics of the bolt compress the excess out and thus have a complete seal.

Last edited:

DeeJordan

2011 170" 2500
Thank you for this logical diagnostic tool! I was able to dx solenoid problem. MB say "no starters available West of Toronto, $1350 Cdn to fix ...soon." Local Vancouver Canadian tire had a rebuilt starter installed the same day for $650. Fortunately no pricy MB teach-in required!

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
I recently outlined a procedure for testing for 12 VDC power at the OM647 Fuel Pump relay and Starter Relay. I specified pulling the Fuel Pump relay because it has smaller blades which make it easier to remove vs the Starter Relay. The procedure may have some value for others testing. (Pull the Starter Relay for OM612 similar testing.)

Copy and paste.

Do you own a multimeter/voltmeter that can read 12 volts?

Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? Then buy a multimeter.

Remove the fuel pump relay as shown here.

1633635323191.png
Set the multimeter to 20 volts DC or a similar range.

Turn the ignition key to position #2. Instrument cluster lights will be lit.

Hold the black wire meter test lead to a body screw or shiny metal.

Using the red meter test lead, probe the 4 relay socket contacts. One of the contacts should indicate 12 VDC.

I would expect it to be the 30 position for certain. That verifies the meter is working. You should also find 12 VDC on the 86 or 85 terminal.

Relay pins/blades.

1633635363434.png

Report the findings.

The original post.

Do you own a multimeter/voltmeter that can read 12 volts?

Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? Then buy a multimeter.

Remove the fuel pump relay as shown here.

View attachment 196320
Set the multimeter to 20 volts DC or a similar range.

Turn the ignition key to position #2. Instrument cluster lights will be lit.

Hold the black wire meter test lead to a body screw or shiny metal.

Using the red meter test lead, probe the 4 relay socket contacts. One of the contacts should indicate 12 VDC.

I would expect it to be the 30 position for certain. That verifies the meter is working. You should also find 12 VDC on the 86 or 85 terminal.

Relay pins/blades.

View attachment 196322

Report the findings.

vic

P.S. - When dealing with interior wiring for things like camera feeds and other non-critical electrical power supplies, properly installed clip type wire taps can work just fine.

View attachment 196323
1633635679288.png

vic

Top Bottom