Click no start- some tips.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
At 11.7 volts your battery is not up to the job! It should be nearer 12.7 volts. I suggest you replace the battery before doing anything else!

Keith.

Eric Experience

duby
Your battery is flat or your meter is faulty. You should have stopped at the battery if you followed the instructions. Jump start it and check your alternator. Eric.

cpumechanic3

Click no start- THE EASIEST TEST 1 OF 2 THINGS 1- Jumper cable from ground post from battery to the Metal bar on motor. ( note motor to frame ground is bad) 2- jumper cable from other car/van to pos. (+) post and sprinter not starting clamp to the motor TO GROUND THE STARTER. It took me 6 months to find. Stared when it want to and 1 click no start when it wanted too. A GROUND CABLE $15.00 CAN BE RUN TO THE MOTOR TO GROUND POST OF BATTERY.
Woo Hoo, I love this forum.. had a a click,no start issue, on my 2006 T1N with 56k on the clock, cleaned battery posts and it went away...also have a battery boost (winnebago feature) that usually overcomes any low engine battery by tying in the coach batteries.

All batteries are in good shape, but even with boost on , just click, click, click.. no start. Jumper start attempt from jumper box to battery, no start.

Ordered a $185 Bosch starter that arrives on Saturday.. but weather report says rain rain rain for next two days.

Tried hooking big heavy battery jumper cable to negative post on battery, then connected other end to big heavy metal on engine.

Starts.. and is now in my new pole barn so I can trouble shoot ground issues in the AM, out of the rain rain rain.

Thanks for the great tip tony in memphis.

Now where the heck is the motor to frame ground strap?

And if I want to add a ground strap to engine.. wonder where to attach

BlueNote

Although the battery in our 2010 Roadtrek Agile tested well, it was the original Mercedes factory Varta battery from 2010. So I installed a new 900 CCA AGM battery and the problem seems to have gone away. Fingers crossed. There's a lot of really good information on this forum. Thanks to all who contribute.

Bobnoxious

GONE FISHING
Now where the heck is the motor to frame ground strap?
Left side, low near front. $15.00 bucks. Based on the year of your vehicle I'd replace it.

IMG_4733.JPG

cpumechanic3

Left side, low near front. $15.00 bucks. Based on the year of your vehicle I'd replace it.

View attachment 157293
Hello... I agree, thanks for taking the time to reply. Never worked on diesel's or MB but I am impressed with the fuel mileage, and my ownership of this rig has been relatively trouble free for the last 3+ years and 30K miles.

Spent some time and removed the engine to chassis ground strap this AM. Bolt on engine side was very tight, the small one on the chassis was not, almost loose.
Cleaned up all the contact points, with sandpaper and wire brush, and brake contact cleaner, looked carefully at the strap it looked fine so I just re-assembled.
I saw no evidence of any corrosion anywhere, my rig has never been in road salt and is never driven in snow or ice. Spends winter in sunny/warm FLA.

Started first crank so I am a happy camper, on my way to Ocracoke Island this weekend for some boon-docking and fishing. Will bring my jump starter and heavy jumper cables just in case.. but pretty confident problem was correctly diagnosed, and remedied.

Many thanks to all the experts here, ordered new OEM strap from ebay for $12.24 delivered. (Bobnoxious is my favorite poster here... hope you are calmed down about the recall and ready to collect your free money from MB soon.)

Last edited:

Bobnoxious

GONE FISHING
Hello... I agree, thanks for taking the time to reply. Never worked on diesel's or MB but I am impressed with the fuel mileage, and my ownership of this rig has been relatively trouble free for the last 3+ years and 30K miles.

Spent some time and removed the engine to chassis ground strap this AM. Bolt on engine side was very tight, the small one on the chassis was not, almost loose.
Cleaned up all the contact points, with sandpaper and wire brush, and brake contact cleaner, looked carefully at the strap it looked fine so I just re-assembled.
I saw no evidence of any corrosion anywhere, my rig has never been in road salt and is never driven in snow or ice. Spends winter in sunny/warm FLA.

Started first crank so I am a happy camper, on my way to Ocracoke Island this weekend for some boon-docking and fishing. Will bring my jump starter and heavy jumper cables just in case.. but pretty confident problem was correctly diagnosed, and remedied.

Many thanks to all the experts here, ordered new OEM strap from ebay for $12.24 delivered. (Bobnoxious is my favorite poster here... hope you are calmed down about the recall and ready to collect your free money from MB soon.)
Right now I'm experiencing a dopamine rush as a result of your success.

Glad the ground strap cleaning worked out. I suspect a real moneymaker for many shops.

Duranutan

2018 Sprinter 170 4X4
I will add my experience to this conversation. I have a 2018 Sprinter. It would occasionally not start if I had just turned it off in the last 20 or so mins. Key position 1 fine, position 2 fine, all lights would come on, position 3 (starter engagement) I would get nothing. This was a low millage Sprinter, 24K miles rougly when this started happening.

This is a known issue and MB has a service bullitin for the problem. The park/neautral safety switch is located on the conductor plate inside the transmission and requires taking out the transmission vavlebody. Yes, craziest place ever to put the safty switch. Mine was fixed under warranty thankfully.
Jim

Top Bottom