easy install cup holder

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
As we all know, the cup holders in the Sprinter are...
So I took the ashtray cup, mounted to the cup holder slightly off center toward the passenger side for clearance for the shifter. Drilled two holes in the flip top of the ashtray so this is a drop in unit.
I also mounted two USB power ports (can't have enough) along with the cigar lighter outlet to plug into the stock lighter. The USB/cigar lighter assemble pushes snugly into the cup holder. no need to fasten.
Got the parts other then the male part of the cigar lighter (had it hanging around) from Amazon.
Took less then an hour. It's easily removable and only had to drill two holes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGIBYQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBKO2YY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Jordan & Val

2016 Unity 24IB
Great minds, you know. I hacked my own using that cup holder and a grey drawer divider to make a console for my Tesla since they were not selling any yet and it did not come with one. Then they decided they would not make the console in my wood trim, so I still have the hack one for almost three years now and it is more utilitarian than any I have seen.

reshecca

So I took the ashtray cup, mounted to the cup holder slightly off center toward the passenger side for clearance for the shifter. Drilled two holes in the flip top of the ashtray so this is a drop in unit.
I also mounted two USB power ports (can't have enough) along with the cigar lighter outlet to plug into the stock lighter. The USB/cigar lighter assemble pushes snugly into the cup holder. no need to fasten.
Got the parts other then the male part of the cigar lighter (had it hanging around) from Amazon.
Took less then an hour. It's easily removable and only had to drill two holes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGIBYQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBKO2YY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I love your cupholders! Are you happy with the way it turned out? Would you do anything differently in hindsight?

Hdroadking

Do you leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter all of the time, or just when in use?

It appears the ash tray will not close after installation. Is that correct.

Great modification.
:rad:

Hdroadking

I am installing using the same materials, but in a different location. The cup holder sits nicely in the area on top of the dash in the cavity directly above the GPS. I also plan to direct wire rather than using the cigarette lighter.

I tried to add a picture but have been unable to do so lately. They all say invalid file.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
You need to use an App like Photo&Picture Resizer to reduce your image to 900x900 pixels and less than 500mb in order to get the system to upload your picture.

pfflyer

Or if you take your picture on a phone, email it to yourself and pick med size. Works with IPhone but not sure if other brands have that feature.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Or on a Windows PC...

Open the picture in MS Paint
Click 'Resize' option in 'Image' area of ribbon
Change from 'Percentage' to 'Pixels'
Change 'Horizontal' to 900 (this sites limit)
And 'Save As...' a new name to keep the original.

This reduces the file size and makes the picture fit nicely on the forums page width.

I have just reduced this photo from 4032 x 3024 pixels and 2.19 MB to 900 x 675 pixels and 184 KB in one go in a few seconds.

Keith.

PS Ignore the subject of the photo, it was just for this test.

Test.jpg

Last edited:

Bobnoxious

GONE FISHING
FREE apps for iphone.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hdroadking

I had already tried the email & “small” effort on my iPhone, but it would not work. Let’s see if the latest effort works.

Nope, still says I have an invalid file. I give up.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6 OM642.993
:2cents: ^ Bob take a screenshot of the invalid photo, .. the (N) screenshot photo will likely be converted from invalid.

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
Do you leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter all of the time, or just when in use?

It appears the ash tray will not close after installation. Is that correct.

Great modification.
:rad:
Yes, I leave the cigarette plugged in all time but the one in the ashtray goes off with the key. The one below doesn't.
No, the ashtray doesn't close but has not created any problems. It take about 20 seconds to remove and 30 to reinstall.

Top Bottom