A/C duct problem

dbeall

Has anyone had a problem of getting A/C air flow to the front of the cab on the 2016 Thor Citation 24ST. I get great air in the rear of the coach but only a trickle up front.

dbeall

Has anyone had a problem of getting A/C air flow to the front of the cab on the 2016 Thor Citation 24ST. I get great air in the rear of the coach but only a trickle up front.
A followup on my post. The dealer found that there were plugs of spray insulation foam in the ducts to each of the cab a/c ducts. Sounds like there may have some disgruntled workers who were trying to give Thor a bad name. They succeeded in my case. No more Thor products for me!

KC8RXQ

2016 Thor Synergy TT24
The front cabover vents are useless in my TT24. I complained so much that the dealer got Thor involved. Their reasoning for lack of airflow was that the ductwork went past each vent and joined together in the forward ceiling. Thor's fix was to close off the ducts beyond the cab vents, and also install two new vents in the gally ceiling. It did not help much so I will end up getting a 12 VDC fan just to keep air circulating up there. The big problem is the lack of available room in the ceiling to run decent-sized ducting, hence you end up with airflow restrictions.

I had the same problem on my 2017 Citation24SR. I did a lot of work and got the ducts to blow air.
First I took the ceiling sky light out and could access the duct work which goes to the front vents. The forward vents use 3" round tubing that connects to a manifold right where the ceiling turns upward. The ducts where leaking as was a few places in the 3" tubing due to holes. I patched the holes and sprayed foam into the ceiling around the manifolds. The holes or gaps where so big the foam went into the normal ceiling ductwork prior the manifold. Next, I added two ducts in the ceiling just forward of the AC unit. Once I figured out where the air ducts where which went forward it was easy to just cut the holes and add the ducts. While I had the holes open I was able to cut and clean out the foam which sealed around the manifolds. I also noticed many places where wires went through the ducts which left holes in the duct work. I used aluminum tape to seal all the holes. I next took out all my ceiling lights and to my surprise a lot were within the ceiling AC ductwork. Again taped all the gaps I could find. I also plugged the ductwork behind the vents over the bed since the air shouldn't have anywhere else to go except out the duct by that point. I also looked at the over bunk vents. The manifold there is large and what air pressure you have gets diluted by the large manifold so I reduced the internal size of the manifold with some flashing cut to size, taped it in place and painted it black. Lastly, I taped everything within the AC blower area in the ceiling to make the system as tight as possible. In the end, I get excellent airflow out of the new vents in the living area and twice as much air now out of the forward bunk vents. Its not as much as the living area but its at least 2-3 times stronger airflow now. Don't understand why Thor doesn't add two more vents in the first place in the living area since its so easy to do. Don't have pics of the work I did but do have one of the new vents.
Jon

Attachments

jmf27614

I had the same problem on my 2017 Citation24SR. I did a lot of work and got the ducts to blow air.
First I took the ceiling sky light out and could access the duct work which goes to the front vents. The forward vents use 3" round tubing that connects to a manifold right where the ceiling turns upward. The ducts where leaking as was a few places in the 3" tubing due to holes. I patched the holes and sprayed foam into the ceiling around the manifolds. The holes or gaps where so big the foam went into the normal ceiling ductwork prior the manifold. Next, I added two ducts in the ceiling just forward of the AC unit. Once I figured out where the air ducts where which went forward it was easy to just cut the holes and add the ducts. While I had the holes open I was able to cut and clean out the foam which sealed around the manifolds. I also noticed many places where wires went through the ducts which left holes in the duct work. I used aluminum tape to seal all the holes. I next took out all my ceiling lights and to my surprise a lot were within the ceiling AC ductwork. Again taped all the gaps I could find. I also plugged the ductwork behind the vents over the bed since the air shouldn't have anywhere else to go except out the duct by that point. I also looked at the over bunk vents. The manifold there is large and what air pressure you have gets diluted by the large manifold so I reduced the internal size of the manifold with some flashing cut to size, taped it in place and painted it black. Lastly, I taped everything within the AC blower area in the ceiling to make the system as tight as possible. In the end, I get excellent airflow out of the new vents in the living area and twice as much air now out of the forward bunk vents. Its not as much as the living area but its at least 2-3 times stronger airflow now. Don't understand why Thor doesn't add two more vents in the first place in the living area since its so easy to do. Don't have pics of the work I did but do have one of the new vents.
Jon
How did you remove skylight to access ducts?

Top Bottom