Portable Galley Project

homeslice

This is a portable galley with sink, fresh water + grey water tank, and a couple drawers. It is movable and removable (attaches to L-track) for winter and when we need more space for hauling. I designed it in Fusion360 and cut with CNC router out of a leftover piece of plywood.

ad360plan.png
front.jpg

It was made on the cheap with an Ikea sink, and hand pump for water (maybe I'll upgrade later to 12v pump). I cut a small piece of bamboo for a cutting board over the sink. My goal was to keep it pretty simple and mobile.
top.jpg

The side has a removable piece that fits into a slot at the top to create a small table for prep-work-dining-drinking-cards.
table.jpg

The drawers were also made on the CNC.
drawer.jpg

Overall, it's probably heavier than 80/20 configuration. I could have probably cut it out with a jig saw, but I wanted to try a project with the CNC machine.

Eka

What are the attachments to the L-track like? I too am considering removable cabinets. Mine may be more fixed in location where they can be placed. To conserve interior space I'm looking at having my utilities mostly under the floor. That means cabinets like the kitchen ones will have fittings for connecting to the piping under the floor.

homeslice

I used threaded stud fitting like this. The bolt was too short for floor attachment, so I used an angle grinder on a carriage bolt (only had to take off ~1/16 inch on top to allow it to slide in L track).
bolts.jpg
I then used fender washer and wing nut after passing bolt through wood.
BTW here are plans if anyone is interested or wants to modify. Fusion360 is free download and .dxf files included in zip.
View attachment portable_galley.zip

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
This is a portable galley with sink, fresh water + grey water tank, and a couple drawers. It is movable and removable (attaches to L-track) for winter and when we need more space for hauling. I designed it in Fusion360 and cut with CNC router out of a leftover piece of plywood.

View attachment 88637
View attachment 88639

It was made on the cheap with an Ikea sink, and hand pump for water (maybe I'll upgrade later to 12v pump). I cut a small piece of bamboo for a cutting board over the sink. My goal was to keep it pretty simple and mobile.
View attachment 88641

The side has a removable piece that fits into a slot at the top to create a small table for prep-work-dining-drinking-cards.
View attachment 88640

The drawers were also made on the CNC.
View attachment 88638

Overall, it's probably heavier than 80/20 configuration. I could have probably cut it out with a jig saw, but I wanted to try a project with the CNC machine.
Nice work! Do you have a DIY garage CNC, or did you contract out to a local machine shop to make the cuts?

Cheers,
Dan

homeslice

Thanks Dan.
I joined Tinkermill in Longmont. They have a shopbot, laser cutter, TIG and MIG welding, machine shop, wood shop, industrial sewing machines and classes. It’s been a great resource for sprinter build. http://tinkermill.org. If you have a design and want to contract CNC work, there are options like https://100kgarages.com. I think @hein may be able to do CNC work as well.
Chris

MsNomer

No question you could sell that on the PM forum, particularly if you add other pieces. That is really sweet.

Any more details on your water tanks? Just curious what size you are able to squeeze in there. I have a slightly larger and less fancy cabinet coming together and just squeezed a couple of tanks into the bottom. I'll be sharing soon.... I hope.

homeslice

I used 2 waterbricks from amazon -- one for fresh water and one for grey water. Easy to refill and stackable so I can bring extra water for longer trips.
water.jpg

OffroadHamster

That is sexy. Nice wood working. I am toying with the idea of making my refrigerator modular by stuffing it in a portable cabinet. Great ideas on execution here, gives me some good food for thought. Right now my fridge is under my bed when the bed is up. No good for late night or early morning snacks (which does not bother me except when my 2yo wants yogurt at 6am, ugggg)

I used threaded stud fitting like ...
Not that anyone asked...

The cost of the stud fitting can be avoided by just using aluminum flashing or other easily worked sheetmetal to form a bent metal positional keeper. Some formed wire may even work.

The commercial keeper needs to be robust. A DIY keeper just needs to hold the modified carriage bolt in position until the nut is tight. The bolt position will be properly maintained after everything is clamped tight.

Added:
An easy cheap solution. Slice off a couple chunks of heater hose. The 3/8" modified carriage bolt is installed and then the heater hose rings are fit into the L-track round spaces to press against and hold the stud in place. The hose ring can even stick up a bit as it will crush down.

Added:
Bolt modification.
The rounded head of the carriage bolt needed to be filed down a bit flat. Depending upon the carriage bolt head diameter a couple flat sides may need to be filed into the head. Once modified the bolt head slipped into place just fine.

I mocked it up on some L-track. It works fine. A picture will follow when... if I find my camera.

Found it.

LtrackKeeper.jpg

The heater hose that I sliced was 1/2" ID.

Back to topic.
Really nice looking work on the cabinet by the way.

vic

LtrackKeeper.jpg

Last edited:

Wheeljack

Very nice work on the design, homeslice.

What did you use for a stain/finish? That was also a nice choice.

Homeslice,
Great project! We just purchased our new 170 and are looking to do a similar style of modular storage. The Tinkermill looks like an awesome work space!!! I am in Fort Collins so I will have to get down there and check it out. Could be an great resource. Thanks for posting

Top Bottom