New Brake pads

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Hi, I am new here, I am about to replace the front and rear pads on my 05 Sprinter 2500. I was wondering, is there any thing I need to know about resetting the rear parking brake. Besides that I have replace plenty on disc brake pads. Any input is appreciated, I am going to tackle this later today.

Thanks Bob

Last edited:

stp57

If the rotor is not deeply scored (& too thin) than just replace the pads & leave the rotors & parking brakes alone. The raised outer rim isn't going to hurt anything. I have been using Raybestos Severe Duty pads & now my rotors are as smooth as a baby's butt. I have 30K on the front pads & I have about 70% of the pad left (however, I do use my transmission to slow down the van as much as I do the brakes). I also have very little brake dust now. Early on, I was trying to find ceramic pads, but I am glad that I was unsuccessful because these pads are awesome! Rock Auto.com has great prices.
Steve

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
is there any thing I need to know about resetting the rear parking brake.
Thanks Bob
The rear parking brake consists of small shoes acting on the small drums integral to the rear rotors.

There are 3 cables in the handbrake system. One from the cockpit handbrake lever to a equalizer under the vehicle, ahead of the rear axle, and 2 cables from equalizer to the individual rear parking brakes.

2 distinct cable adjustments are possible. The equalizer housing is slotted for its mounting bolts and can be moved for and aft to take up slack in the handle cable. The equalizer itself has an eccentric wheel which is adjustable to tension the rear cables. Rust belt Sprinters frequently have this eccentric seized due to corrosion. Keep it well lubricated!

The shoes themselves have star wheel adjusters in the small drums to adjust shoe position ( compensation for wear of linings)- accessible through small holes in drum hub face. Doktor A

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Ok, job complete, front pads had plenty of life left, (replaced at 39K) rear pads original at 55k were just starting to contact the sensors. We did hear a grinding at one of the wheels, the out board right rear pad was very close to metal, so the sensor did not sense it. All went well, and thanks for the help.

Bob

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The shoes themselves have star wheel adjusters in the small drums to adjust shoe position ( compensation for wear of linings)- accessible through small holes in drum hub face.
Is this with the rear rotor off?

Or is it through one of the mounting bolt holes on the rotor?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Is this with the rear rotor off?
Or is it through one of the mounting bolt holes on the rotor?
The rotor needs to be in place to adjust the shoe to rotor's drum clearance. You adjust through the bolt hole after turning the hub/rotor until lined-up with the star wheel. Doktor A

Top Bottom