Rear canopy for sprinter barn doors

TPLennon

Pricing!

As InterBlog pointed out in his prior post, keeping costs down is a real challenge for small volume production. However, I hope Sparkplug will be pleased to see I was able to beat his $3000 price target. In order to keep the price down I’ll be selling directly to buyers, avoiding any distribution and retail margin markups.

So the direct sales price for the door cover and privacy screen will be $499.

The awning accessory pack which includes telescoping awning poles, aluminum ground stakes, and pre-tied reflective guy lines with aluminum adjusters will be an additional $49.

This version of The Hangout is designed fit ~2007 to 2018 NCV3 Sprinter model vans.

If you are interested, please sign up to be put on the customer list at this link:

https://mailchi.mp/7b1af39a8129/go-hangout

Once I have enough interested NCV3 van members in this Sprinter family to cover a limited initial production run, I can place the order. I’m not asking for upfront payment – just enough interested buyers so I can make the initial investment in materials with some confidence.

Thank you!
Pat

Super cool, Pat. Thanks for the updates.

I put my name on the list for updates, but I can't commit to a purchase yet. My Owl Vans tire carrier is installed, but I'm still waiting on the shipping of the Sherpa carrier for the passenger side. I need to get that installed and see how everything lines up before I know if either or both will be compatible with your canopy.

Edit - are you actually selling these out of Seattle? If so, it'll probably be a matter of driving up from PDX and doing a test fit. That could work out nicely.

Last edited:

TPLennon

Life_goes_on - thanks for the heads up on your situation. Yes to selling out of Seattle and I'm very interested in seeing a test fit. If you're up for it we could post pictures for others benefit.

Thanks,
Pat

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

sparkplug

Sounds like a realistic price point Pat - I'm sure you'll get enough demand to cover your investment very quickly.

Really pleased to see this coming together.

Nautilus_2

Super cool, Pat. Thanks for the updates.

I put my name on the list for updates, but I can't commit to a purchase yet. My Owl Vans tire carrier is installed, but I'm still waiting on the shipping of the Sherpa carrier for the passenger side. I need to get that installed and see how everything lines up before I know if either or both will be compatible with your canopy.

Edit - are you actually selling these out of Seattle? If so, it'll probably be a matter of driving up from PDX and doing a test fit. That could work out nicely.

@life_goes_on please post pictures of your fitting, I am interested how it works with carriers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TPLennon

I signed up on the other post as well. Do you think I might have one by October?
Thanks TXdaveski! - I really hope that you could have one by October. I'm most nervous about the sewing manufacturer lead time. They do good quality work but they were a month late on the first sample...

Thanks,
Pat

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

@life_goes_on please post pictures of your fitting, I am interested how it works with carriers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If we can orchestrate a test fitting, I'm more than happy to post pictures good or bad. I'm waiting on my Sherpa carrier from Owl Vans, which was delayed. I'll keep you posted.

TPLennon

A quick note of thanks to this community for getting this project off the ground. There has been enough interest for me to place the raw material order for an initial production run. Thank you!

I'm estimating 2 -3 months for all parts to come in and the production to be completed. I'll post periodic updates here on how things are progressing. If you would prefer email updates you can sign up here: https://mailchi.mp/7b1af39a8129/go-hangout

Thank you,
Pat

GinnyD

Hi,
I saw this thread a year ago and am delighted to see this canopy in production. I do see that the domed roof is now flat in the new design. I guess you have turned the hose on it..but Im still curious if it would shed water as well. Thanks. I signed up on the email link and look forward to more information. G

TPLennon

Hi GinnyD - The roof is still domed, probably just a bad picture on my part. You can see the dome (sort of) in this picture:
Maybe I should sign up for some photography lessons...:hmmm:

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:

Gamezone

depending on cost im sure a number of people would be interested. Im more interested on how you get up there to install it
I've read the entire thread and I'm interested in one of these for postage to UK. How are you looking for supply at the moment?

Thanks
James

Gamezone

I've read the entire thread and I'm interested in one of these for postage to UK. How are you looking for supply at the moment?

Thanks
James
Hi Ged,

How about something like this?

View attachment 93036

I made this prototype for a friend. It seals rain out along the roof and covers the gap between the door and van body providing some covered outside space. It rolls up pretty small and goes up in about 3 minutes. My friend likes to sleep with the doors open so we made this to keep his bed dry in case it rains during the night.

I'm curious if there is any interest in Sprinterland for a rear door canopy and if so I may make more.

Thanks.
Sorry I replied to the wrong comment first of all.

Thanks
James

TPLennon

Hi James - No need to apologize, I'm impressed you waded through the whole thread. The first production run is going to be pretty small and focused on U.S. sales as I want to make sure I can be responsive to the early users in case any questions come up. The first run is scheduled to happen in late October. All the parts and materials are in and now I'm just waiting for the sewing shop to work through their backlog of pre-Christmas rush orders. If customers are happy (<-priority #1) and there is more demand I will ramp up production.

Thanks,
Pat

TPLennon

mdbiggie - I've designed this first version to fit on NCV3 vans (~2007 to 2018). I haven't tried it on a T1N yet...need to find a volunteer near Seattle.

Top Bottom