Rear canopy for sprinter barn doors

sparkplug

Sent you a PM Pat - but I think we can find something that works for everyone. I also realised that it's probably going to be cheaper to ship from here to mainland Europe than from the US so that broadens the horizon a bit.

Happy to help if I can.

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
Count me in too, looks like a well thought out solution to what I want. thanks

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
if you look at the best tents poles their may be inspiration for you, also to be noted, the fewer different parts the better, so maybe make all the poles the same, or made up out of the same parts, i.e. 3 of theses make one of those...

TPLennon

For GeorgeRa and life goes on (plus others with rear mounted accessories),

Here is a picture I took yesterday on the drivers side showing the coverage.

Current design extends halfway through the P in the Sprinter name badge. You can also see the door magnet mounts for reference.

Thanks,
Pat

@TPLennon - Please add me to your ever-growing list of interested Sprinter owners. This looks like a great design. Any projections on when these might be available for sale? Will you be at Overland Expo West in a few weeks?

TPLennon

OverlandTraveler - Overland Expo West looks awesome. I hadn't heard of it before but it is now on my list. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year.

"When will it be available?" I wish I could say yesterday but sourcing is a bigger hurdle than I anticipated. I spent this afternoon walking through the warehouse of a component and material supply company hoping they would have the last parts I was looking for but I came up short on one part. I've got most all parts figured out but two - one is a custom CNC part and the quote I got this morning was three times what I had budgeted so I will get some more competitive quotes. The design is ready and the fabricator is prepared to make a first article once I get the final parts sourced - I'm inching closer but not moving as fast as I'd like.

I appreciate your interest.

Thanks,
Pat

TPLennon

June 1 Update:

I met with the sewing manufacturer Thursday to review the current design in preparation to move onto manufacturing. The next step is for them to produce a first sample to confirm manufacturability and then firm up their quote. The first sample build is scheduled for late June so I have a bit of scrambling to do to finish things up for that big milestone.

And here is a picture from today's Brandi Carlisle concert at the Gorge Amphitheater in Eastern WA:

You can see the new MB logo relief on the passenger side door - I might need to make it a little bigger as it seems to be bunching up a tiny bit.

Pat

Tribeof5

I would be interested depending on price. We just bought out second van today to build out for our son. That said, we might take two of them.

TPLennon

Hi All - Major milestone announcement: Today I dropped off the patterns, fabric, components, drawings, and the current prototype with the manufacturer so they can create the first sample! :bounce:

Here are all the bits loaded into my trusty diesel Golf:

The manufacturer will make a first sample unit and finalize pricing so I can relay that info to you. Its been over two years getting to this point so I'm pretty pumped to have made it this far and I'm super appreciative of all the great feedback I've gotten from the Sprinter forum family and beta testers.

For those with sharp eyes you may be wondering what is that extra strap on the carrying case? One user thought it would be helpful to put a lash strap on the outside of the case to help with anchoring inside the van. So here you have it - the lash strap/handle:

I've still got a couple of refinements to add to the design but we are entering the final pre-production stretch.

Thank you!
Pat

F2ca170

We're leaving for a three week trip in about 10 days. Would have loved to have one of these to take and use. Please let us know when they're available.

Jdz

Pat do you have a price point yet? also is there a back curtain option to close it off...sorry didn't read through all the pages if this has been covered.

TPLennon

Hi Jdz - Here is a picture of the awning lowered to create a privacy screen.

There isn't an internal back curtain or a way to seal out the bugs, yet.

Regarding pricing, I should have the quote from the sewing company by the end of the month and then I'll be able to let you all know pricing.

Thanks,
Pat

TPLennon

I spoke with the sewing manufacture Friday and they are backlogged with other work and running way behind schedule. It could be another two weeks before I'll have costing info to share. :frown:

Sorry for the surprise delay.
Pat

sparkplug

No worries Pat.

If it was straight forward and easy then everyone would be doing it.

I (we?) appreciate the time, dedication, research and perseverance you've put into the project.

A couple of weeks either way isn't going to be the success or failure of it.

Good communication, letting people know where you're at and being realistic in managing expectations - now that's the customer service that will make you a name you can trade on.

Oh, and it not coming in at $3000 :D:

TPLennon

The sewing manufacturer is finally done with the first sample. I'm on my way to meet with them now. More soon...

Pat

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom