Rear canopy for sprinter barn doors

TPLennon

I really like this idea - and I think there might be a better way to keep it mounted for easy deployment. I saw a while ago (cant find it anymore) a guy that was outfitting the small ford transit vans and he made nothing like your hangout but it was permanently mounted over the back doors, folded up in a zippered bag! When you stop, you open the back doors, unzipped the mounted bag and deploy the cover! (something like the attached photo)

I would very much like the hang out for my T1n - either just the way you have it or modified to be mounted outside above the doors. Nice work!
First off I want I want to say CC_windsurfer is a gentleman and a scholar. ;)

Mikolia69 - Thanks for sharing your idea. I was just discussing the bag enclosed awnings with a friend who owns a Promaster. He decided to buy one as I've not been paying enough attention to his needs and he really wants a removable side awning. Once his bag awning arrives I'll have a chance to check it out in person and will report back. I believe, if I'm understanding your thinking correctly, a roof rack (or some sort of clamp mechanism) would be needed at the rear of the van to attach to and then you would need some way to reach it on the roof (maybe just standing in the back of the van)?

Make sure to vote for your van here: https://mailchi.mp/7b1af39a8129/go-hangout That will help me prioritize my time.

Thanks,
Pat
go-hangout.com

Leonid

Is anyone with a low roof Sprinter NCV3 in the Seattle area interested in lending Pat their van to design a go-handout canopy for this van style? Please contact Pat. I'm interested in one & I'd be more than happy to lend him mine. I just happen to be on the east coast. Thanks!

Last edited:

recoopn

Pat,
My wife and I finally got to put the Door Cover to good use in the beautiful mountains just east of Salt Lake City Utah. We spent the weekend riding our mountain bikes and hiking some remote aspen covered trails. It was a great getaway.

The shower in our Winnebago Revel Sprinter is very small, so we much prefer to shower in the back using the remote shower hookup. The rear door cover provides the perfect privacy to shower off outside and keep the rest of the van clean and dry. We absolutely love it. I would recommend it to anyone. I thought it was very high quality. Along the lines of Patagonia I thought, at a more reasonable cost.

Our van is a 4x4 so it is a bit high off the ground. If you ever want to make a skirt that attaches with magnets to the bottom of the door and is able to adjust the height for uneven ground would be great. I would buy it for sure. This provides even more privacy and reduces the wind when showering:)

I did have to remove the ladder hook from the back door of the Revel. We weren’t using it anymore because of the Owl Vans Sherpa attachment. It does have to stretch around the Sherpa attachment, but since it has the bungee cord hook for grabbing under the van, it accommodated the Sherpa, albeit a bit tight.

It took a while to figure out the order of attaching everything, but once I figured it out, it was easy after that. I found putting the sides on first then the cover made it easier for me. Also confusing was the whether the cover went above or below the rear camera. I found that above the camera didn’t allow the magnets the grab the van at first. Once it stretched a bit it grabbed better.

1594664698320.jpg
1594664831467.jpg

Attachments

TPLennon

Recoopn - Nice van, awesome trip. Super happy you were able to get away and the Hangout worked for you.

Our van is a 4x4 so it is a bit high off the ground. If you ever want to make a skirt that attaches with magnets to the bottom of the door and is able to adjust the height for uneven ground would be great. I would buy it for sure. This provides even more privacy and reduces the wind when showering:)

I did have to remove the ladder hook from the back door of the Revel. We weren’t using it anymore because of the Owl Vans Sherpa attachment. It does have to stretch around the Sherpa attachment, but since it has the bungee cord hook for grabbing under the van, it accommodated the Sherpa, albeit a bit tight.
The skirt is on my to-design list - thanks for sharing the insight on being adjustable for uneven ground... I will need to figure that out.

Also - huge thank you for pioneering the Owl Vans Sherpa fit. That question has come up a few times. I inserted a zoomed in version of your last picture here in case others missed it:
Owl van sherpa zoomed.jpg

Looks like Hangout fit between the door and Sherpa rack. Cool.

Revel van owners take note, Recoopn removed the rear ladder hook (they weren't using it anymore) for the Hangout to fit.

Thank you!
Pat
go-hangout.com
Let me know your van model and get updates here.

IRHERE

This is my first post here I have learned alot from this forum but like many just reading and following others I’m sorry if it’s a long one but I need to post this.

Recently I saw this post on the “Hangout” www.go-hangout.com and I was intrigued but didn’t follow up. The idea never left I just got busy and then about a week ago I received a follow up email from Pat@go-hangout.com showing off his Hangout and some pictures.

I was once again intrigued so I sent an email for information and I got a very quick response from “Pat”. It was such a great back and forth he was so professional and knowledgeable (did I mention friendly!) wow I said this guy is someone I want to do business with but with the Canadian/US border closed I had to get a plan B for delivery.

Pat was like I said full of info and as I live in Edmonton AB and was going to be in Victoria BC for a week before a weeklong trip in my Van that the Hangout would be very useful it was decided on SUNDAY !! yes last Sunday we ordered the hangout and had it shipped to meet me in Victoria 4 days later.

Today I opened my box and was so impressed the attention to detail the quality is second to none We have all ordered things for our Vans and when they arrive they are what they say they are but maybe a bit cheap feeling or you know what I’m saying but this thing is amazing the poles the reflective tie down lines the pegs the carry bag the aluminum frame poles and the tent material are absolutely top notch.

The big concern for Pat was the fact I have a tire mounted on the back drivers door and that would get in the way but I told him I would deal with it and plan to do it but he was so concerned he made sure he put in a few “extra pieces” to make sure I could use it right away on my trip in the meantime. I cannot say enough about the whole experience. The hangout went on in a flash, simple instructions and like I said a pleasure working with quality parts and pieces.

I’ve added a few shots of the first set up but I really wanted to say thanks to Pat for such a great purchase experience and before last Saturday night I had zero contact or skin in this game but after a couple emails and a telephone call Sunday morning I became a very satisfied customer.

Today I’m thrilled to be a Hangout owner and know next week I will be using the hell out of it!!

I cannot recommend this must have part for your Van enough nor can I tell you enough how great it is to deal with an honourable guy like Pat. I only hope you find out for yourself !! I’m giving the whole experience a 10 !

Ian

Attachments

Last edited:

TPLennon

Update for those of you with 2019+ high roof Sprinter vans - a prototype Hangout awning that fits the 2019+ VS30 Sprinter is in the hands of Sprinter forum member Senator2001. These pictures are from the fitting on his 2019 4x4 high roof van.

2019-sprinter-van-rear-door-canopy-small.jpg

sprinter-van-rear-privacy-screen.jpg

The MB emblem is lower on the 2019+ vans so the clearance cut-out needed to be enlarged.

2019-sprinter-van-rear-door-logo-clearance.jpg

Senator2001 will be testing out the prototype and providing feedback.

The 2019+ Sprinter vans are offered with two different rear door hinge options. This van has the 270 degree hinges which hold the doors open a little narrower than on the 2018 and older Sprinters. This requires one door to be pushed out slightly to install the door brace pole and get the fabric to fit snugly across the back. I'm looking for a van with the other, 180 degree, hinges to test out the door open width and Hangout fit.

You can check your hinge type by referring to the clear description with pictures at the bottom of the page on the Owl Van Engineering website here: https://www.owlvans.com/revel-2020/tire-carrier2019-m6xar

Thanks,
Pat
go-hangout.com

Hi Ged,

How about something like this?

View attachment 93036

I made this prototype for a friend. It seals rain out along the roof and covers the gap between the door and van body providing some covered outside space. It rolls up pretty small and goes up in about 3 minutes. My friend likes to sleep with the doors open so we made this to keep his bed dry in case it rains during the night.

I'm curious if there is any interest in Sprinterland for a rear door canopy and if so I may make more.

Thanks.
I'm interested

TPLennon

Hi Tegan_ca - I've had a few requests for a low roof option but need a test van to measure. Forum member Leonid is very eager to get one for his low-roof van too.

I'm guessing you don't live near Seattle? If you do - PM me.

Thanks,
Pat
go-hangout.com

TPLennon

A quick note of appreciation for you, Sprinter-Forum community member. The interest, feedback, and support from this group has been the driving motivation for me to move forward in taking the Hangout from idea to reality. It was a longer and more complicated journey than I first anticipated but the positive feedback has made it all worthwhile.

Yesterday morning, while meeting another awesome Sprinter owner, I ended up selling my last Hangout from the first production run. I'm now sold out. I'll update when the next production run of Hangouts happen.

Thank you!
Pat
go-hangout.com

Top Bottom