Tire pressure please - and what could have been a disaster

Cunharez

For at least ten years I have been running my 8100 lb. van at 50 front, 60 rear, to no excessive visible tire wear across the tread.
I just did a 4,000-mile trip across the Southwest and ran these exact air pressures (50 in the front and 60 in the rear). The van handled like a dream, with almost no road noise (silky smooth) on good roads, but with the expected chatter on bad roads/ gravel roads. Averaged 19.5 MPG with RWD V6 semi built, but pretty loaded van (not sure of total weight but guessing under 8,000 lbs).

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Tire pressure threads.
Note that these “comfort” tables are based on 15” rims, but yeah… you won’t always need 80 psi to be safe.

With actual axle weights and YOUR tire mfg’s inflation tables in hand, you can often go much lower. (Data point: I run my Michelins at 55 psi front 60 psi rear with F3300#/R4000# axle weights)

-dave

p3424

I keep the pressure at the factory 55/80 F/R which provide good even tire wear and slightly better handling and corning.
But It's definitely more comfortable ride at reduced pressure of 5 to 20 psi, but also 1 or 2 mpg less millage per gallon.

Did you ever find a good explanation why the front pressure is increase from 55 to 80 psi just because of RV conversion, since chasis weight rating should not have changed?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Did you ever find a good explanation why the front pressure is increase from 55 to 80 psi just because of RV conversion, since chasis weight rating should not have changed
Tire pressures should always be based on actual, current, weight.

smcguyer

2006 3500 Cab chassis. With 12' Box.
Yes use the tire inflation tables for your axle weights. This directly affects tire loading across the width of the tire tread. On my Sprinter, the inflation pressures on the seat base are for max loading. Over-pressuring the tires for lighter weight vehicles wears out the center tread of the tires. You can measure and monitor for uneven tread wear with a tread depth guage which costs a few dollars. On youtube there are videos showing the tire chalk test to indicate uneven tread wear. I have to run lower pressures because my van is currently very light weight!

Top Bottom