How does anyone use propane in their Sprinter?

I'm in the planning stage of my build and trying to figure out a solution for a stove. Obviously the first option I've been reading about is propane. But after much reading, it seems rather difficult to have propane kept inside the van. Part of me just wants to throw a 20 lb tank in the van and install a propane detector down low and call it a day. I've seen many builds do something similar. However, I don't want to be wincing every time I light my stove. This has led me to read about propane lockers, but these seem pricey and involve drilling another hole in the van. I'm not too opposed to this idea though, but perhaps a DIY solution if anyone has one? Also the idea of having to open the locker and turn on the propane at the tank every time I want to cook sounds like it could get annoying.

Because of all of this I have been considering an induction cooktop, but more research into that area has shown me how expensive that can get. And I'm concerned about always being frantic when the stoves on since we plan on only having solar and electricity from the alternator. However, I really like the idea of just having electricity and diesel onboard. We do plan on using the stove quite a bit, probably around an hour per day max. We also would prefer to not cook outside if possible. Any suggestions on where to go from here? How doable is it to have an induction cooktop on solar only? How safe/legal is it to keep a propane tank inside the van with no locker? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
One advantage of a portable propane stove is you can use it in multiple places. On picnic table or on a fold down table out of van in addition to inside. Nice to keep the heat, humidity and smells outside as much as possible.

One advantage of a portable propane stove is you can use it in multiple places. On picnic table or on a fold down table out of van in addition to inside. Nice to keep the heat, humidity and smells outside as much as possible.

Are you just carrying 1 lb tanks then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Are you just carrying 1 lb tanks then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have both 1 # tanks and a 5 # tank. We will see if I keep the 5 #.

Have both refillable (U-Haul) and throwaway 1 # tanks.

Another lesson learned was the 10,000 btu stoves would not boil water in windy conditions. Bought a Camp Chef Ranger II that has 17,000 btu burners. It is large so I had to provide an open shelf at bottom of sink cabinet to store it. Nice stove.

I have a 1000 watt house inverter so induction stove does not work.

rollerbearing

Graphite Dave,

I got a notice from amazon that the Flame King one pounders were being recalled. Flame King supplies U-Haul and Lil' Kamper. I checked U-Haul and they are recalling them as well.

Evidently the brass valve assembly is not glued in with a permanent thread lock/sealer and there have been two cases of the valves assemblies unscrewing when removing from the appliance.

It's not clear if they are simpy refunding money or actually replacing the units.

I like mine a lot and will be a bit bummed if there is not a replacement.

sprinterPaul

I have seen diy propane lockers. Search around. Basically a sealed box.

Also you can get a horizontal tank and mount below deck.

rollerbearing

If you go the propane locker route - there is a good discussion of "gas box"es in the Australian sprinter section. Good pix and descriptions of vent locations and sizes. I had thought of making one out of a 50 cal ammo box for storing the 1lb bottles.

Last edited:

HarryN

Propane is a very convenient fuel for mobile use. The only real downsides are:
- if you will need substantial electrical power for the rest of the build, then you now have 3 mouths to feed vs 2 (diesel, electrical, propane)
- Adding another fuel delivery infrastructure

I completely understand the attraction of electric cooking. A possible alternative to induction cooking is a high end 2 kW electric skillet or electric cook top. Quite a bit lower cost and more portable than an induction setup.

Depending on how you use your conversion (2 week vs 3 day trips) might affect your approach. Assuming 5 - 600 watts of panels on the roof, it could be tight to keep up with 2 kW-hr of cooking use plus other power loads. ( 1 hours x 2 kW cooking / exhaust load).

It might make sense to consider a fairly healthy battery bank - example 2 or 3 each 8D batteries - plus plan on drawing some power from the alternator as you drive around.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I installed a 10" x 23" horizontal propane tank below deck outside of the frame member. It fits perfectly flush with the bottom sheet metal. Mounts directly off the crossmembers using 3/8" rivnuts. Purchased on Amazon with a capacity of approximately 5 usable gallons which is plenty for my only propane user, a Force 10 marine range/oven combo. Still use diesel Espar D2 for heating and Espar D5 for hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaulDavis

I installed a 6 gallon Manchester tank under the deck, in the back "bay" on the passenger side. Lowest point is the same as the spare carrier, but it does extend that further to the rear, limiting the take-off angle. I had to build my own frame to mount it on, which bolts to 4 penn-inserts attached the sides of the "bay".

Currently the propane only feeds our on-demand water heater, but I have to plans to put a splitter in the line and make it available to our stove also.

We also carry around a 4 gallon aluminum ("marine") propane tank to use with the stove. We do not have a propane locker and aware of the danger this poses.

Both tanks were purchased new, and getting them purged was one of the biggest hassles of the last decade of my life. The marine one was done incorrectly and currently cannot be refilled - need to head up to NE Phila. to a guy who seems to understand what's wrong.

I installed a 6 gallon Manchester tank under the deck, in the back "bay" on the passenger side. Lowest point is the same as the spare carrier, but it does extend that further to the rear, limiting the take-off angle. I had to build my own frame to mount it on, which bolts to 4 penn-inserts attached the sides of the "bay".

Currently the propane only feeds our on-demand water heater, but I have to plans to put a splitter in the line and make it available to our stove also.

We also carry around a 4 gallon aluminum ("marine") propane tank to use with the stove. We do not have a propane locker and aware of the danger this poses.

Both tanks were purchased new, and getting them purged was one of the biggest hassles of the last decade of my life. The marine one was done incorrectly and currently cannot be refilled - need to head up to NE Phila. to a guy who seems to understand what's wrong.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to purge a propane tank? It sounds like emptying it? Why is this necessary for someone to refill it?

sprinterPaul

Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to purge a propane tank? It sounds like emptying it? Why is this necessary for someone to refill it?

New propane tanks contain pressurized air that needs to be purged with propane vapor before the tank can be safely filled with propane and put to use.

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
I'm curious how long the 1lb disposable tanks last for cooking on a two burner portable stove?

I have been considering getting diesel stove/heater combo ($2700) but am having trouble justifying the cost compared to an espar d2 ($1000) heater and my trusty Coleman camp stove ($0).

Even if I went with the diesel stove, I'd still bring my Coleman to cook outside whenever it's nice out. Now I'm just thinking of I can just get away with my camp stove for all cooking.

If I carry around a handful of the 1lb tanks for cooking only, they will be disconnected from a supply pipe most of the time, so would this still require a locker? Seems a bit overkill to me.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chromisdesigns

I'm curious how long the 1lb disposable tanks last for cooking on a two burner portable stove?

I have been considering getting diesel stove/heater combo ($2700) but am having trouble justifying the cost compared to an espar d2 ($1000) heater and my trusty Coleman camp stove ($0).

Even if I went with the diesel stove, I'd still bring my Coleman to cook outside whenever it's nice out. Now I'm just thinking of I can just get away with my camp stove for all cooking.

If I carry around a handful of the 1lb tanks for cooking only, they will be disconnected from a supply pipe most of the time, so would this still require a locker? Seems a bit overkill to me.

Dan

I have a high output camp chef Everest stove and I still get quite a few meals from a cylinder. I also have a tee in the high pressure side of my propane tank to se with a hose to connect to the stove.

rollerbearing

Dan

I used to use a lot of 1lb tanks for torches in my work. I was surprised by the number of times there would be a slow leak after removing the tank. Usually just re-attaching the tank and removing it would let the tank valve reseat and the leak would stop. This may sound gross to some, but I have taken to always putting a bit of spit on the valve to make sure it is sealed whenever I remove a tank. The spit film will make a nice bubble able to detect even a very small leak.

I don't yet have a propane locker, but I wouldn't trust being without one if I didn't do the spit test. I do store the tanks upright in the under chassis outside compartments.

Giving the tank a swing with the valve down will flick out the spit and allow the valve to remain relatively clean and dry.

My ptooey cents worth.

Last edited:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I LOVE propane. Sure you have to get fuel for it in addition to filling the gas tank, but it makes the numbers for your MPG more accurate, and a diesel generator is stinky and oily and there are no diesel refrigerators. I actually have pretty big tanks in both of my RVs so I don't spend much time filling my propane. Pretty much once a season. So then having propane heat and propane cooking appliances are very cheap, used everywhere, and propane feeds my grille!

Are tanks difficult to put under a Sprinter? I would think it is a pretty standard size to hang from the frame. With remote fill you can actually put it right behind the axel, not much else will fit there. At least on the 3500.

-Randy

HarryN

I used to use a lot of 1lb tanks for torches in my work. I was surprised by the number of times there would be a slow leak after removing the tank. Usually just re-attaching the tank and removing it would let the tank valve reseat and the leak would stop. This may sound gross to some, but I have taken to always putting a bit of spit on the valve to make sure it is sealed whenever I remove a tank. The spit film will make a nice bubble able to detect even a very small leak.

I don't yet have a propane locker, but I wouldn't trust being without one if I didn't do the spit test. I do store the tanks upright in the under chassis outside compartments.

Giving the tank a swing with the valve down will flick out the spit and allow the valve to remain relatively clean and dry.

My ptooey cents worth.
I have had the same experience - 1 lb tanks from the hardware store seem to often slow leak if removed from the appliance. So - I just leave them attached.

petem

...I used to use a lot of 1lb tanks for torches in my work. I was surprised by the number of times there would be a slow leak after removing the tank...

I have had the same experience - 1 lb tanks from the hardware store seem to often slow leak if removed from the appliance. So - I just leave them attached.
Same experience here with occasional slow leaks on the 1lb tank valves, so we seal them back up with aftermarket brass seal caps available from Amazon or Cabelas. Once sealed we've had no concerns with carrying a couple 1lb canisters inside the van.

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Propane-Bottle-MacCaps/dp/B001AH1DCQ

glasseye

I use the disposable tanks, but I reeeeeely wish they weren't one-time use.:thumbdown:

I'm always amazed at how much use I get from each one. I have a cheap Coleman propane stove that I use for all my cooking. Worked fine for me for the last eight years. :idunno:

Top Bottom